where else can you get brush packs

white90

I had a search for these last year , tried all my local Auto Electrical factors , One was a Bosch agent and could not identify the part number with anything in their UK cataloge .

So I went to D44 for them .Nearly half the price of a new motor :(

Hi Tony,

It might be worth a trip to your local independent starter/alt. rebuilder to see what they have, or a good Agri dealer...it'll be starter brushes of some sort with the amperage drawn.

Cheers

Steve b

edit to say you can always file them down to size, i assume they are rectangular in cross section

Tony,

Been through my 'collection' and nothing the same.

Might be worth upgrading to a Bowmotor as the bit will last longer and a brush set is very cheap (as well as being somewhat bigger.

Sorry I can't help but I will keep looking

Upgrading to a Bowmotor from an Warn?????? Thats a bit like "upgrading" from a Mercedies to a Mini metro!!!!!

Tony,

Been through my 'collection' and nothing the same.

Might be worth upgrading to a Bowmotor as the bit will last longer and a brush set is very cheap (as well as being somewhat bigger.

Sorry I can't help but I will keep looking

Upgrading to a Bowmotor?????? Thats a bit like "upgrading" from a Mercedies to a Mini metro!!!!!

Upgrading to a Bowmotor from an Warn?????? Thats a bit like "upgrading" from a Mercedes to a Mini metro!!!!!

Hark at the funny man!

Now Jase I can understand but Steve you are an intelligent man so how could you be sooooo wrong. Never mind, no point in trying to re-educate "OKAY STEVE....YES STEVE, THE MOTOR WITH THE FOUR LETTER WORD ON IT, THAT'S THE ONE, WELL DONE, NOW SIT DOWN AND DRINK YOUR COCOA :P" I find it so sad when so much talent and skill just can't take the pace...

Time for Jaso Farr's Home For The Bewildered

Ok ok , I got the hint , But from experience , the bow motor is well built and internaly looks the part , I bought one a couple of years ago and hoped it would out perform the standard 4.6 hp Warn motor but to my dissmay I was to say at the least dissapointed , I dont know but I was expecting a huge transformation in puling power and line speed when the Bow was applied .

I checked , double checked the connections and even changed the already good albright solenoid hopeing this was the cause in lack of power but fact was fact , the Bow just didnt cut the ice for me .

I dont know if I had a duffer or what but after speaking to others I seemed to get a simular answer about it .

My ageing 8274 seemed to evolve after fitting an Xp motor and it was thanks to Simon and Liz Buck for staying open on a saturday afternoon when I was half way through a 2 day event just up the road .

Im not dissing the Bow motor (Much) but after fitting the XP motor that are rated at 0.4 hp more than the Bow , I can and I guess a few more can easily say it was a better choice of motor with only a few more shillings to part with .

Coat , door , can of worms , good night :lol:

I suppose one thing I can say in the defence of the Bowmotor is you'll never wear the brush's out. You'll get fed up of waiting for it, struggling on medium pulls and double lining when you shouldn't have too then throw it away in favour of an XP long before anything wears out.

I fitted a Bowmotor, Was hugely disappointed, Didn't even have the power of the 4.6 I had replaced (which was always a particularly good example). Then, after only two events I was so un-impressed I replaced the Bowmotor with on XP and it transformed the winch. A regular circuit we do in the in-laws wood that had a steep pull needing a double line with the Bowmotor or it would stall could be single lined with ease. The XP is a far superior motor and also reliable although the brush's do seem to wear quite quickly. I can deal with that tho because they are so good.

Back to the original thread, Tony did you have any joy with the brush's? I tried Bosch directly and they said the motors are licensed to Warn and Bosch will not allow any of the wholesalers to have any.

Dave - care to elaborate on your assertion that the Bowmotor is better?

I bought one to replace an X50 motor which had given 5 years service then let the smoke out. The Bowmotor was better, only because it worked - but I did not feel it pulled as well, nor as fast - although that is a fairly empirical observation.

As a grown-up in this field, what's your take on them?

sI

I have been lucky enough to be party to extensive motor testing on rigs to find out what motors are doing what............

Breaking it down quickly..........Xp does out peform the Bowmotor.......

The 7.8's from New Zealand are worse than pants so don't got that route either :P

However the Bow motor does have other advantages, hence i am running two at present.

But for straight pull on pull the XP wins every time (12V)

Sorry Dave :(

Jim

Ps: I forgot to add that the early Bowmotors (Not those that we see now) Where superior, they where great infact..............

RIP the early Bow's :(

Have to agree with you there Jim (easy!) there do seem to be various types of Bowmotor about - of the two 4.6's in my garage there are noticeable internal differences.

Again no doubt about it the XP has the edge on speed. I am surprised at Steves mid range pull statement as I think they have far more grunt, but despite his lack of good looks and appalling dress code Steve is someone I do respect.

XP uses more juice and last less time which I suppose is the big thing for me.

Bowmotors take the caning (and 300amps at 32 volts on a 24volt motor) and they hang on when any other motor has left the party and gone home to bed.

Jim, why do you run Bowmotors - I do notice the other month and was somewhat surprised as I thought you were a died in the wool XP man

I am currently running two 12v Bowmotors to test there ability to withstand prelonged use with 24 volts running through them ( a customer has been doing this for a year with no problems and brought it to my attention, hence the further testing)

It is a shame that we did not need to winch at the special in Devon (If we had we might have got it right :rolleyes::lol: )

Otherwise you would have seen it.

Example:

This was clip was taken on the way to winning this years Ultimate challenge.

The motors in use have surived three events so far, but it is early days. However we constantly check the internal condition and have been suprised and very pleased to find that in fact the motors still look like new inside.

12 on 12 volt the XP all day long, but in this new age we live in where new tricks are being tried every day, the Bowmotor would appear (at present) to have found another edge :)

Jim

Bad joke of the day : "All this testing is such a drag" :rolleyes: told you it was bad :P

• 1 month later...