Cracked rear door frame

I've read somewhere that it is quite common for the rear door frame to crack as a result of a combination of the weight of the spare wheel and corrosion (don't seem to be able to find the magic combination of search terms that will throw up the thread though). Land Rover themselves seem to have acknowledged this by introducing a new design from 2002MY but mine has the earlier version and has now succumbed. I thing that there are two main options:

Firstly get hold of a new design door. Are these more durable or do they crack and rust too? And by the looks of things I'd need new glass (I take it that the older style doesn't fit the new style door). Does the old furniture fit? (Latch, wiper motor, stay, door card, etc.) And what about the old wheel carrier? Assuming that I'd probably have to get hold of some of those items it may get a bit expensive unless I can get hold of a complete door (probably also quite pricey). And as I think my door has probably been on its way out since I've had the vehicle I don't know if they are any quieter when in good condition - at the moment it sounds like Ringo Starr bashing away in the back over every bump as the weight of the wheel flexes the door and frame.

So the second alternative, and the one I'm leaning towards currently, is to get hold of a spare wheel carrier (and Paddocks seems to be reasonably well thought of for about half the price of Mantec and quarter the price of Kaymar) and take the welder to the old door frame to sort out cracking and corrosion. With care I think I should be able to avoid the need to re-spray the current door and hopefull get waxoly to as much of the frame as has so far escaped from corrosion.

I'd be interested to hear views and other alternatives.

I too have 2000 Defender Td5 which has cracked rear door frame. I also need both front doors replacing due to corrosion issues. Sorry I cannot answer any of your questions ref whether the existing kit will fit off your existing door onto a post 2002 door. I would be interested to know myself. Doors (frame & Skin only) seem to be about £200 but still need painting & fitting. A company in Bristol advertise door refurbishment for FROM £100. If you are interested but cannot find them let me know.

MINESAPINT

My back door was cracked in same way. Temporary fixed with some reinforcing internally and stiffened by a chequerplate liner. I have fitted the Paddocks carrier, lots of posts elsewhere about fitting, some have struggled with poor instructions though but it's pretty straightforward.

In the long term I'll replace the door as it has very bad electrolytic corrosion, trouble is it's micamettalic paint so a proffesional spray job will probably ensue.

My back door was cracked in same way. Temporary fixed with some reinforcing internally and stiffened by a chequerplate liner. I have fitted the Paddocks carrier, lots of posts elsewhere about fitting, some have struggled with poor instructions though but it's pretty straightforward.

In the long term I'll replace the door as it has very bad electrolytic corrosion, trouble is it's micamettalic paint so a proffesional spray job will probably ensue.

If you go for the later door - check the skin is folded back sufficiently to cover the lip on the frame - especially on the bottom - at sodbury last year there were a few where the bottom outer skin was not attached to anything on the frame.

I also THINK the glass is different...

If you go for the later door - check the skin is folded back sufficiently to cover the lip on the frame - especially on the bottom - at sodbury last year there were a few where the bottom outer skin was not attached to anything on the frame.

I also THINK the glass is different...

I'm pretty sure the glass is different - was talking to a guy about the new style doors this weekend and he pointed out that the glass in rounded at the top and the bottom in the corners, whereas only at the top on the old ones.