Britpart HD suspension - saggy rear

DrRob

Both my mate and I have put Britpart HD yellow springs (std height) and super gaz shocks on our motors (the DA4284 kit as it is supplied).

Both vehicles ('93 Classic 200Tdi and '93 Discovery 200 Tdi) are sitting ~1.5" too low at the back....

Any ideas? Surely both should site level on new suspension? Weird :blink:

Over to you lot.... ;)

Have you put the right springs on the right side. i.e, you may have put the rears on the front which would make it sit very high at the front but not at the back.

HTH

We were both very careful to keep them separate plus the rear are thicker diameter

Guest mortus

you got an elephant sat in the boot? :ph34r:

there really is no answer seems as they were new springs and shocks, maybe you somehow managed to BOTH get a set of dodgey springs?

but the most likely reason is that you put the front on the back and vise versa. actually now i think about that....

the front is heavier than the back so if you had the front springs on the back, it would sit very high up and the backs on the front and it would sit low...

are you sure you got the correctly rated springs for your vehicle?

I've never been entirely convinced by the britpart HD yellows. I bought a kit for my truck and after fitting, the front was damn near on the bump stops and the rear was well up in the air. After much testing with different pairs of springs that various friends had lying around the their workshops I have ended up with the britpart med-duty rears (DA4203?) in the front and RRC HD rears (red+white) + a spacer block in the rear.

The truck now sits mostly level - with the weight of a superwinch H14 + cable on the front, has amazing rear articulation & doesn't roll too much round the corners on the road.

I am sorry to say I have come across this so many times

The Britpart stuff is "Variable" in qulaity, its cheap and frankly its often ***p

Far better to fir something decent, I would vouch for say either genuine - work out what you wnat, or buy quality stuff such as Old Man Emu, and you'll never look back :(

Sorry, prob not what you wnat to hear, I wouldn't now buy ANYTHING from Britpart having had problem after problem

Nige

the front is heavier than the back so if you had the front springs on the back, it would sit very high up and the backs on the front and it would sit low...

It doesn't work like that as the back springs are heavier duty to allow for the load to be carried. So when the springs are switched around the front will sit very high. How do I know???..................A friend of mine has done it :ph34r:

Success - the Discovery is now sitting level :lol:

Rangie is in mid-transplant....but is looking better on the replaced side already :rolleyes:

Seems like the HD Std height kit has not got the right springs in it...? :ph34r:

Yes

But how long before they sag and you have the problem back gain via "Settlement" as they call it :lol: (I call it ****part quality issues)

I wish you well........................................................ :unsure:

Nige

Fair point but when they give you free springs it's worth a try :rolleyes:

I'll report back in 12months after green lanes and play days ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Funny that - I had a set of 4277 HD Standard heights, that had the same issue, one call to Britpart asking if they had a measurment of what they should be (Height unladen) And a new set were promptly dispatched to me.

btw. Even though putting the springs front/back reversed causes the machine to point heavenward, it still passes MOT! (Don't ask, it's a long story.....)

if you are happy with the britpart stuff then stick with it...

Personally i regard my time as being too valuable to waste it replacing carp components which are quite clearly not fit for purpose. I'll not be using Britpart stuff anymore (not used it for a couple of years now) as i've had enough of their poor quality issues.

But how long before they sag and you have the problem back gain via "Settlement" as they call it :lol: (I call it ****part quality issues)

I put Britpart standard replacement springs on my RR a couple of years back. It's now definitely 'settled' to the right! I'm getting some expensive springs when I've got the cash. For now i'll just have to look fat...

Regarding front and back weights, according to the manual I'm sure it says the back of the car is heavier than the front, even unladen. I put the springs on by length. Supplier said, to my supprise, that the longer pair are the rear pair. Which now makes sense with the weight thing. Still doesn't get past the fact they've now sagged! So this is all just waffle really :lol: apologies... Hope the problem is sorted for you mate.

i can also confirm the longer spring go on the rear. i also put the wrong springs on the front and it look like a plane on take-off. not pretty. :lol:

Good to see it wasn't just me! I simply fitted the ones in the Britpart box labelled rears to the rear of the RR and vice versa i.e. doing what one would expect to be logical :blink:

Anyhow, the new rear springs they supplied are working out just fine and because there is less weight now over the back axle the ride is much more compliant.