A few little problems(well two for now)

Hello all. I've just bought my very first Land Rover Defender, Its a 1995 90 300 TDI. It only came with one key for the ignition so I decided to buy a new steering lock column/ignition barrel. The only problem is I cant seem to punch out the old shear bolts. I've taken off both the upper and lower cowlings and am trying to punch them upwards if that makes sense. Is there anything I am missing or does anyone have any hints or tips on how to do this.

Also the drivers side mirror is beyond repair so again I bought a new set. Now I have no idea about cars so I am learning as I go along(haynes manual in the post very soon :blink: ). To take off the complete mirror assembly, do I need to take out the screws on the hinge of the door and then bend the hinge back to get to the screws of the mirror housing?

Thanks for all your help and advice in advance.

you can't 'punch out' the shear bolts, as the shanks are screwed in, you need to drill down the shank to allow use a 'easy out' bit to remove it.

to remove the mirror head provided the arm is in good order, on the underside next to the vertical bit that the mirror fits on is a allen screw, with the correct size allen key, you can remove the head/fit the new head & adjust it to give a good view to the rear/side of the vehicle, if the arm is wrecked too, unbolt the 2 screws that attach the hinge to the door & fold the hinge to access the mirror arm screws.

also Please read & take note of the pinned thread at the top of this forums thread listing, all the info will help you use this LR forum :D & Welcome to LR4x4.com

they are not usually that tight so you should be able to use a punch but you have to try and tap them round to unscrew them, not punch them out, if not use a hacksaw and cut a slot in the head and unscrew with a screwdriver, normaly works, or do it the proper way with a drill and easy out :)

as for the mirror, yes its screwed in from behind the hinge so you have to remove the hinge from the door first

hope this helps

martin

Why not just get a new key cut, unless you are concerned about security, but with defender locks I wouldn't worry about it, most things will open the car and a lot of things will start it. :)

I tried at my local dealers but the key I have is so worn that it either didnt work or it just fell out of the barrel once it had started(after 10 minutes of wriggling it around). I'll give it a go with the drill tomorrow.

Why not just get a new key cut, unless you are concerned about security, but with defender locks I wouldn't worry about it, most things will open the car and a lot of things will start it. :)

This is true. I can use the same butter knife on all of my locks :)

Mo