what mpg

kingdong

sorry std g/box and o/d.

graham.

No idea to be honest, but my humble opinion is that is not a good idea fit a 200 tdi in a standard gearbox. To much torque for a limited gearbox. You almost duplicate the amount of torque between a 2.25 diesel and the 200tdi. You will overstress a weak gearbox.

Instead, try to swap as well the transmission if you have that opportunity.

Hi graham

Why do you ask? The MPG will be better than a petrol or an older diesel, as the engine is more efficient.

In the real world it can vary so much - tyres, driving style, road type etc.

But with a well set up engine, road tyres and gentle driving you should get from 22 to 34 imperial miles to the imperial gallon.

Allowing you to save enough money to buy a couple of spare gearboxes. And rebuild the overdrive. The TDI has a lot of torque, and torque kills gearboxes.

If you do this please ensure your brakes are up to the job.

G.

If you drive gently you can make the gearbox last well enough, although TDi's seem to be harder on boxes than V8's. That said, it's much easier to swap the transmission while swapping the engine than to come back and do it later.

I'd guess you'll see around 25mpg, the Series doesn't weigh much compared to a Disco but it is under-geared.

Lets hope that Ray sees this topic, as he has the very setup that your looking at. He's only driven the landy for a few weeks so, but I'm sure he's gone through a tank or three by now and can give an accurate idea.

Todd.

thanks for the intro Tuko... I actually have an issue keeping me from calculating my milage, called a busted fuel guage. I installed the TDI with a series gearbox and the Ashcroft High Range transfer box. I used the vehicle for daily driving to and from work. With the old 2.25 diesel, I could safely log 220 miles from the tank. I figure I can get at least that much from this tank. I have logged about 150 miles thus far since I filled it up (the day after I burnt out the insturment voltage regulator. :blink: Tomorrow I will hit the petrol station and see how many liters it will take and calculate the milage. I can say that the first trip with the truck to Glencoyne's, It appeared to use approx half the fuel it used to for the same trip. I'll drop a note here to let everyone know... I'm curious too.

If you drive gently you can make the gearbox last well enough, although TDi's seem to be harder on boxes than V8's. That said, it's much easier to swap the transmission while swapping the engine than to come back and do it later.

I'd guess you'll see around 25mpg, the Series doesn't weigh much compared to a Disco but it is under-geared.

don't want to draggin my front axle around all the time or mess about with my galv chassis.

graham.

2a swb bronze green.

don't want to draggin my front axle around all the time or mess about with my galv chassis.

graham.

2a swb bronze green.

also as said on another thread the props will have to be alterd as well.

graham.

2a swb bronze green.

I read a lengthy thread on another forum that explained in detail the reason that the 200TDI was harder on gearboxes than say the V8. The views I paraphrase below were borrowed from someone with more Landy experience than I have (known as Teflon on another site).

To paraphrase a few good points:

1. The V8 and the 200TDI have similar power and torque ratings, but deliver that energy in a different fashion. The V8 is much smoother and consistent building it's power. The 200TDI starts off weak until the turbo kicks in and then shockloads the drivetrain with a bunch all at one time. The 1950's era gearbox doesn't take kindly to it... The main shaft and layshaft have a tendency to flex away from each other focusing the power on the tips of the gears... This is not good for gears.

2. If you start with an already weak gearbox, the 200TDI will make pieces parts of it in short order... If you are going to uprate the vehicle's power, make shure you are uprating the rest of the parts. The Landy is only as good as it's weakest part... And increasing power will show you which ones they are. :o My recommendation, start with a rebuild of the gearbox and check all gears for wear, especially where the engagements are for the shift collars. If there is even a little wear, I would replace the gear. (I bought 2 new ones for mine) Better to renew a couple of gears and bearings, than have to find a new box because your 200TDI or 200DI spit the rest of your box on the ground! :(

3. If you add more go, add more whoa... Many people say that if adding the 200TDI you should install disc brakes... I see their point, but I also offer something else to consider in this... Just because you installed a more powerful engine, doesn't mean you will go FASTER, just that you will get to that sam maximum speed that your truck can do QUICKER... If your 2.25 petrol engine is revving 4000 rpm at 50 mph, your 200TDI will be revving at 4000 rpm at 50 MPH... you just get up to 50 quicker. That being said, many people accompany the increase in power with an ovderdrive, RR diffs or a high range gearbox (my personal choice). Now you have approximately 30% more tops speed at the same RPM, and yes, you definitely need to have better brakes if you are going to run faster. Let's face it, Series Landy brakes leave a bit to be desired... There is never anything wrong with upgrading your brakes, evein if you never add any more power to your vehicle. Stopping when you really want to is a nice thing! :rolleyes: Bottom Line, use common sense... if you have more speed, have more stop.

Ok, now that all of that is said... (I insert a big disclaimer here... I am not saying do this to yours, but this is what I have done to mine and found it works for me) I have not upgraded to discs (yet) but fully intend to because I have always disliked 4 wheel drums. I Almost lost a car to drums once... but that's a different story... My 200TDI install thread has more detailed info on my conversion. If you are interested, check it out, I'll save server space by not repeating everything. Important parts are 88" Series 3, 200TDI, series gearbox, Ashcroft High Range box. I drive my series at the same speeds I used to drive it before the 200TDI, I just enjoy the fact that the engine isn't screaming at me while doing 55mph. I also like using all 4 gears. First doesn't feel left out anymore. I did adjust the pump on my truck a bit to level out the powerband a bit. It helped alot and the trans doesn't feel like it is geting shockloaded anymore. I'm not out for big power, but after economy. My 2.25 Diesel got worse milage than the wife's petrol burning BMW 740iL! I think I can now travel farther than her on a liter of fuel...

Graham, tomorrow, I will find out how many liters I used for how many miles... I'll drop my post here to let you check it out. My guess is it will be good news... I don't have the fire brigade chasing me down the road anymore thinking the smoke I was spewing was due to a fire... My Landy looked like a fogging machine... It was embarrasing, but no more...

Hope I helped a bit... I know it's a bit looooong.... :P

thanks for the intro Tuko... I actually have an issue keeping me from calculating my milage, called a busted fuel guage. I installed the TDI with a series gearbox and the Ashcroft High Range transfer box. I used the vehicle for daily driving to and from work. With the old 2.25 diesel, I could safely log 220 miles from the tank. I figure I can get at least that much from this tank. I have logged about 150 miles thus far since I filled it up (the day after I burnt out the insturment voltage regulator. :blink: Tomorrow I will hit the petrol station and see how many liters it will take and calculate the milage. I can say that the first trip with the truck to Glencoyne's, It appeared to use approx half the fuel it used to for the same trip. I'll drop a note here to let everyone know... I'm curious too.

How does a fuel gauge keep you from calculating mileage.

You can't trust a fuel gage. Its miles to amount used to fill up. if you top off.. take the amount you topped off with and divide into miles. Top off every time and its very close to the same amount of fuel each time. With a broken gauge, i'm sure you're topping off.

100 miles since last fill... 10 litres to top off.. 10 mi per litre.

The fuel gauge doesn't tell you how many litres you have. As long as your ODO works and the fueling station has a working pump gauge. You can deduct mileage.

How does a fuel gauge keep you from calculating mileage.

You can't trust a fuel gage. Its miles to amount used to fill up. if you top off.. take the amount you topped off with and divide into miles. Top off every time and its very close to the same amount of fuel each time. With a broken gauge, i'm sure you're topping off.

100 miles since last fill... 10 litres to top off.. 10 mi per litre.

The fuel gauge doesn't tell you how many litres you have. As long as your ODO works and the fueling station has a working pump gauge. You can deduct mileage.

i normaly fill my tank up trip the speedo ( or jot it down if don't have a trip on your speedo ) carry a galon or two in the back and drive it till it runs out. ok you mite have to blead the system to get it going again after putting the spare fuel in but thats not to hard and that should give you a good idear what it would be doing ( don't forget to jot the milage down when it ran out ) then you can calculate the milage and see what it is doing.

cheers graham.

Ok, filled the tank today after 157 miles, it took 24 liters of fuel... If my calculator is correct, that is ~6.5 miles to the liter. 6.5 multiplied by 3.78 (for US gallons) is just over 24.6. 6.5 multiplied by 4.54 (for imperial gallons) is ~29.5. :)

I think that is livable at the moment. I'll see how the next couple of tanks average out, and see how a newer air filter helps.

• 2 weeks later...