wider tyres/wheel

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could advice me on changing wheels and tyres on a 110( 1987 td 2.5).

I'm after something wider, but I don't want to do any modifications to the shock absorber or anything else really.

And I think something like all terrain, not mud terrain.

Thanks for your help!

265/75-16 on Wolf or some other steel wheels. Same diameter as standard, but a little wider. And yes, I know that the Wolf wheels are a bit narrow, but worked no problems for me...

I'm a fan of Cooper S/T BTW. B)

Guest otchie1

There are many options.

I have 265/75R16 MTs on 6.5L16 white 8-spokes and it looks good to me.

7J16 are more common but the difference is minimal and mine were cheap.

defender.jpg

265/75R16 tyres on Discovery steel or alloy rims can rub on the rear upper spring seat when the axle articulates. Wolf rims are a bit on the narrow side for 265's, but offer an extra 12.7mm offset which lets the tyre clear the spring seat. Modulars, etc seem to have sufficient offset that the tyres don't foul.

Do you reckon a set of 7X16 spoke wheels should avoid any rubbing on the spring seat ?

I think I'm going to go for the BF Goodrich mud terrain,

What do you guys think of those tyres on the road, is it ok? because I'll be driving it on road quite often so, I was wondering if it was worth the off road capabilities?

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful!

i have just bought 265/75/16 bfg mt's with steel modular wheels and i have no problems at all. the road noise is less than before with general grabber mt's and the ride quality on road is very nice. a bit expensive from paddocks but i've been told they'll last longer than most other rubber.

never had my 265/75/16 muds on disco steelies catch the spring seats or anything else. It is close on full compression, but never actually touched (thats with axle touching bumpstops!)

only thing i had to do was to change the steering lockstops a bit to prevent them rubbing on the radius arms on full lock.