Snorkels...

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying a smarter looking snorkel for my 90. I have at the moment a metal one which looks like it's home-made and the way it secures to the windscreen pillar was by 2 bent screws, which have since fallen out, and nothing I try to secure it back on will work, and I don't want to drill more holes there. It's also probably letting water in while driving due to its shape.

I want something like the mushroom top ones, as I think they look better than the scoop-looking type, something like this one at the top from Rebel 4x4:

Rebel 4x4 Snorkel

The snorkel will mostly be used to keep dust out of the engine, it's a V8 so its never going wading, but I would like to know that if the water ever gets too deep, there will be at least some level of protection, which the current snorkel doesn't have. As the 90 is the type without the sidevents in the wings, I would like to use the existing hole on the drivers side. The snorkel comes out of the wing and just above it's join to the wing I'm thinking of cutting it off and getting some flexible pipe (like in the pic above) to seal over the base of the snorkel that will be left. Here's the best pic I can find of the current snorkel. I'd cut it about an inch to two inches above the join to the wing, to leave something to seal the pipe to.

FieldParty2A.jpg

Would this be possible, or would it just leak and be ineffective? What is the best kind of snorkel to use for my needs, bearing in mind there won't be any deliberate wading? I'm not looking to throw big money at this as it's only to smarten up the appearance of the car.

Cheers for any thoughts.

Guest otchie1

Suitably shaped turbo hose silicone pipe with a 1 1/2" over lap and a new jubilee clip at either end will be man enough for the job.

You could always cut down an old welly :lol:

Trying to get the angle of the snorkel back to be parallel with the windscreen will tidy it up no end.

You could always cut down an old welly

I want to tidy it UP! :lol:

Luke I know what you mean, I'm going to take off the pipe to the air filter and see if it makes much difference. At least these Rebel snorkels are made for the job! I'm thinking that the pipe from the 300TDi one will be able to join to the top of the wing as it's flexible, so I can just seal up the join there rather than cut a new hole in the side of the wing. I might paint over the garish Rebel logo though...

I wondered if this is the best make of snorkel to do it with, or if anyone would know if the pipe was not flexible enough to do it.

heres my home made snorkels drivers side for the engine passenger side for heater total cost for both £100

likin the truck mr mule looks very cool

also

why not buy the snorkle kit mushroom type and use a combination of what you already have and what new you have

hth

dave

likin the truck mr mule looks very cool

also

why not buy the snorkle kit mushroom type and use a combination of what you already have and what new you have

hth

dave

Thanks Dave

I thought about using the ready made air intakes but with having a 4ltr V8 i wanted at least 3" tube to help it breath

I also wanted them in stainless steel so when she finely gets a respray (matt black) it will look the mutts nuts

its good to be a little different as it gets you noticed

Ian

post-7165-1211035216_thumb.jpg

O/T @ V8mule - where are the arches from? and the same for the blind-spot windows as they look different to normal ones.

yeah the arches are Warn TJ arches, i got the windows done at Auto Windscreens in Liverpool great bunch of guys they'll gut and fit any size and shap ya want

Ian