Ferries - You Gotta Be Rich

EdF

And mw and a friend are coming over to the LROI show from Stavanger to Newcastle.

Our ticket for 2 cars(1 over 1.85m) 2 drivers and 1 cabin is just over £520 return.

I got a quote for end of july to Stravanger for our 10 metre long van and trailer and it came out £1200 return - thats why we are driving round to Denmark then cross to Norway.

4x4 and LRW magazine are running a DFDS promo at the moment where if you mention the mag they're offering 10% discount on crossings. Not a huge amount but better than nothing on a £800 ferry ticket.

http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/DSW/EN/Offers/4x4.htm

http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/DSW/EN/Offers/LRW.htm

I was in Norway at start of year. Fuel was same price as UK. At current rate of UK fuel price increases though, Norway is likely to be cheaper!

Beer price on the other was £9.00-£10.00 pint. Cheapest bottle of 'house' wine in one restaurant £35.00. Out of curiosity, I made a note of the wine and checked it out in my local Supermarket. UK Price £4.00. If you like a drink - take your own!

Waiting for ferry in Stavanger we dropped into a pub on the quayside. 4 burger and chips and 4 drinks: £100.00 :wacko:

Beer price on the other was £9.00-£10.00 pint. Cheapest bottle of 'house' wine in one restaurant £35.00. Out of curiosity, I made a note of the wine and checked it out in my local Supermarket. UK Price £4.00. If you like a drink - take your own!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say that over the years we have always taken our own beer - 3 or 4 big packs hidden in the coach to save money,

Till we found out that the legal limit is 1 litre per person and the fine is rather large :(

We are only taking 2 packs this year ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I know it still leaves a long drive but for sheer cost you can't beat the tunnel. I've been through it several times over the last few months with work and it never costs more than £100 in total! Bothways!

Just got travel details through for a gig in early July and again tunnel is costing £27 each way! This is for a coach converted merc sprinter band bus carrying 8 with a ton of kit. So a larger motor to get on than an expedition loaded 110.

Only issues I can think of, other than you may still have a long drive when you arrive in France, is no LPG converted motors and no gas allowed on board.

Just a thought.

HTH

Dom

Norfolk line, from £18 each way. Not as fast as the tunnel I admit but you are straight onto better roads than the tunnel, the boats are nice and the price is right. :)

Chris

Second Chris on Norfolk Line, we used them for Belgium National trips, remember that they DO NOT have currency change facilities on board with only a credit card! Have to exchange GB cash for Euro cash Doh! Ask me how I know :(

Problem with the ferries is their limited departure times. We, won't be in Denmark untill 11:30

(on the road) and the RAC site reckon 12Hrs driving to Dunkirque. SO that's why we are

going for the train as we can always get an earlier or later one within 2 hours of our booked

time.

I've checked where the tunnel crossing was booked through, as I don't personally do it, and it's simply the main euro tunnel site. I also double checked with the manager the cost for the crossing in early July and it is indeed a total of £52!

I have to sort one out for a festival later in July so I'll let you all know how much that comes out at.

HTH

Dom

• 3 months later...
The Newcastle - Stavanger route isn't new, it's only new to DFDS, (the ferry calls at Stavanger, then Haugesund and ends in Bergen) Colour Line used to do it and we went on it once, the MS Jupiter, which left a red/black smoke screen right across the North Sea. And only pollution from vehicles ever gets talked about!

Are you certain about the Grimsby - Kristiansand route as I've just done a pretty extensive web search and couldn't find it. However, freight routes are sometimes well hidden.. Do you know which company operate it? A few sites mention a Newcastle - Kristiansand route on the main page, but when I get into the sites for route dates, times and prices, it isn't mentioned again.

TOR Line