Gearbox exchange/replacement

Andy J

Im looking for some advice. After recently deciding to keep my current 1994 300Tdi, i really could do with replacing the gearbox with a reconditioned one, as there is loads of play in my gearbox chain. I know the common thing is to go for an exchange and wondered if there are any reputable/recommended dealers i should approach. I would also be looking to get clutch done as well as the transfer box input gear whilst whoever is in there.

Im also seriously considering paying to get this done - i could probably do it myself but im not a complete masochist. Are there places you can drop the vehichle off in the morning and pick it up in the evening if its booked in? Im located in Glasgow but willing to travel to have this done if necessary.

And of course, whats a ball park figure for this little lot? Any other advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Andy

3 out of 3 recommendations for Ashcrofts. Looks like i will go there - perhaps i will bite the bullet and try this myself.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how heavy is an R380 gearbox - i ask in the interests of not being crushed when i try to lift the old one out? ;)

Thanks for your input above - much appreciated

Andy

Make that 4 out of 3 :)

You can lift one but it is bluddy heavy - I have something in the back of my mind telling me the crated weight of a new one is about 80kg but that is in a wooden box so perhaps 60-70? Don't drop it on your foot.

It would certainly contravene all the namby pamby nanny state HSE regulations to lift it out by yourself :rolleyes:

The gearbox/bellhousing is quite light. The transfer case is the awkward one to lift back into place. You can remove them seperately by hand. The gearbox from Ashcrofts is just the box - no bellhousing, gear sticks, or transfer stick housing.

Like this-

med_gallery_2_361_496092.jpg

Les.

3 out of 3 recommendations for Ashcrofts. Looks like i will go there - perhaps i will bite the bullet and try this myself.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how heavy is an R380 gearbox - i ask in the interests of not being crushed when i try to lift the old one out? ;)

Thanks for your input above - much appreciated

Andy

you wouldnt want to drop it on your toe thats for sure but non better than ashcrofts

but if u ask nice there may be somone local willing to give you a hand

i would offer but its a bit of a drive from here good luck anyway

Im looking for some advice. After recently deciding to keep my current 1994 300Tdi, i really could do with replacing the gearbox with a reconditioned one, as there is loads of play in my gearbox chain. I know the common thing is to go for an exchange and wondered if there are any reputable/recommended dealers i should approach. I would also be looking to get clutch done as well as the transfer box input gear whilst whoever is in there.

Im also seriously considering paying to get this done - i could probably do it myself but im not a complete masochist. Are there places you can drop the vehichle off in the morning and pick it up in the evening if its booked in? Im located in Glasgow but willing to travel to have this done if necessary.

And of course, whats a ball park figure for this little lot? Any other advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy, can I just ask, what problem is it that you are trying to solve. I only ask this as before you considor spending a load of dosh on a new box, are you absolutely SURE that the box is the problem?

Could it be in the transfer box, or even the propshaft U/j's, or maybe even the diff's. How much play are you experiencing?

I only pose these questions as you so often see on these forums someone spending loads to resolve a problem, only to find it was something quite cheap and easy, in the end.

Trying to help, honest

Cheers

Dave

Hi Andy, can I just ask, what problem is it that you are trying to solve. I only ask this as before you considor spending a load of dosh on a new box, are you absolutely SURE that the box is the problem?

Could it be in the transfer box, or even the propshaft U/j's, or maybe even the diff's. How much play are you experiencing?

I only pose these questions as you so often see on these forums someone spending loads to resolve a problem, only to find it was something quite cheap and easy, in the end.

Trying to help, honest

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

appreciate anything that will avoid me spending lots of dosh - i am scottish afterall :-)

Anyway, i have so much slack (its been present on car for quite some time) and the only thing left that i havent looked at is the gearbox/transfer box. I have brand new Front prop + new U/J and rubber doughnut on rear. I have also got new poly bushes all round (including A-frame) and ball joint. I just get a very big kangaroo effect when im not so careful with the clutch control (and i have my head in my hands when the wife is driving as clutch control is alien concept - much banging and rocking when changing gear). I have also replaced the front differential and drive flanges + cv joints.

All of this is good stuff that i must write up at some point but you are right - i need to at least try the test in the tech archive to assess the play in transfer gear before committing the dosh.

Its the only annoying thing left on my car which i really want to fix. If there are some specific tests i can do to assess gearbox play id happily listen

Thanks

Andy

Hi Dave,

appreciate anything that will avoid me spending lots of dosh - i am scottish afterall :-)

Anyway, i have so much slack (its been present on car for quite some time) and the only thing left that i havent looked at is the gearbox/transfer box. I have brand new Front prop + new U/J and rubber doughnut on rear. I have also got new poly bushes all round (including A-frame) and ball joint. I just get a very big kangaroo effect when im not so careful with the clutch control (and i have my head in my hands when the wife is driving as clutch control is alien concept - much banging and rocking when changing gear). I have also replaced the front differential and drive flanges + cv joints.

All of this is good stuff that i must write up at some point but you are right - i need to at least try the test in the tech archive to assess the play in transfer gear before committing the dosh.

Its the only annoying thing left on my car which i really want to fix. If there are some specific tests i can do to assess gearbox play id happily listen

Thanks

Andy

As they are easy to dismount, I would take off the propshafts either side of the transfer box, so that I could feel for play on each shaft. I think this would tell me if the play is predominently within the gear/transfer box assembly or not.

Let me know would you, whilst I think of other stuff to look at.

As they are easy to dismount, I would take off the propshafts either side of the transfer box, so that I could feel for play on each shaft. I think this would tell me if the play is predominently within the gear/transfer box assembly or not.

Let me know would you, whilst I think of other stuff to look at.

Hi biglad,

thanks for the advice. I am certain the play is not in the propshafts, ive had them both off before. Do you mean check the play in the output shafts of the transfer box (front and rear)?

Ta

Andy

PS: Im off to wales camping for weekend tonight, so wont be trying this until Monday at earliest ;)

Hi biglad,

thanks for the advice. I am certain the play is not in the propshafts, ive had them both off before. Do you mean check the play in the output shafts of the transfer box (front and rear)?

Ta

Andy

PS: Im off to wales camping for weekend tonight, so wont be trying this until Monday at earliest ;)

Hi Andy, if you disconnect the propshafts, that will allow you to get hold of each in turn and see if you can feel play, this could be in the u/j's and/or the diffs.

You could then hold of the the output shafts of the tranny box and feel for play. Put the main box in gear when you do this.

You understand, I'm not saying it's not the gearbox that needs replacing, but on these perm 4x4 setups there are soooooh many opportunities for a little bit of wear here and there, that if it's not the gearbox, you could save yourself a packet - and as you said, you are Scottish after all............................................... :rolleyes::lol:

Cheers

Dave

i've never bone one on a discovery yet but i use to take the old 110 out in the forces im sure we just put a strap on it and lowered it through the bottom of the vehicle could do it on your own but i'd get a mate i not sure but you could use an engine lift and put it through the door with some good old rope round the gear box you also might have to hold the back of the engine up to stop it tiliting too much but with a bit of bfi anything is possible also bought a cd of ebay for the workshop manual shows how to make an gearbox braket for removal on a trolly if you want it let me know and i'll try and send it to you tenco fob so might take me a few goes :blink:

my 2ps worth,

why not take pto cover off the rear of the tbox. thats main area for slack/wear. look at the drive slines. jack up a wheel and turn the prop of that axle,need a torch but should give you your answer. if its worn on the gear box mainshaft then go for the ashcroft route and get both.

i dont recommend attempting lifting it out you'll just do yourself an injury, couple of jacks and a handy mate you'll be well away

andy

Thanks for all then help chaps - on inspection it does look like what i feared originally - i.e. that the transfer splines are goosed. On the bright side its not done bad for 170,000 ish miles. So now convinced im going down the gearbox exchange route + new cross drilled transfer gear.

So im tempted to splash out for a nice little 1 ton crane (http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cfc100-1-tonne-folding-workshop-crane/brand/clarke) from machine mart and drop the gearbox gently through the to the ground. Cmon, every landrover owner wants a crane in their garage dont they ? :lol:

I seem to recall that the Haynes manual recommends this (though i havent looked at a haynes for ages since finding this forum -pfffffffffffff). Does anyone know if when i do it by this route that it would be just as well to leave the T-box attached and drop the entire assembly out in a oner, so that i can drag it all into the garage and diss/reassemble there.

Will also do clutch whilst im in there as i dont want to do this twice!

Whadyathinkofthosebananasthen?

Andy

If you put the crane through the door on a Disco, you only have a small hole to work through. The ideal way is to be able to attach two ropes to the gearbox - one around the gearbox, and the other around the transfer case to keep it level. If you use just the one rope (and you'll have to), the transfer box will cause the whole lot to rotate until the handbrake drum is at the lowest point. You could put a jack under the brake drum to keep it all level, so a lot of juggling if you are on your own, but better if you have some help. I've always seperated the two, so have no experience of using a crane.

Cranes are for girls anyway - some of us are just too butch :)

Les.

Ok so mines an Auto, but I seperated the boxes before pulling them as it makes them easier to handle, whilst taking them out.I had assistance so did not use a crane to remove them but re-fitting I did on my own and I used a crane and a trolley jack + blocks of wood get every thing lined up. I also used four 150mm ish long M10 (i think) bolts with the heads cut off as guide pins in the flywheel housing as this helped get the box lined up before pushing it home. I then did the same to line the transfer box up.

Les is right the hole through the transmission tunnel is really to small to get two use full lengths of rope through to allow you to lift the complete assembly.