Bottle Jacks

J@mes

My bottle jack failed today while I was lifting my disco (luckily the wheel was still on so nothing was damaged) and from the looks of it, the casing has cracked slightly!

So, does anyone know where to get a replacement bottle jack that has the correct shaped head? I looked on ebay, machine mart and various other places and could only find ones with flat heads - which doesnt really appeal to me from a safety point of view!

I have found a couple of mercedes sprinter tool kits on ebay, and the bottle jacks in them have the correct head, but I am curious to see if there are any more about - LR wanted £93 for a new one!

thanks

James

The head is less of an issue than the fact that most cheap bottle jacks have not got the lift range to elevate a completely flat 7.50x16 tyre up to a height that you can fit an inflated one on - most are only single stage with a screw out second stage whereas what you need is a proper two stage one. The single stage ones are fine for changing one wheel for another but try doing it with the tyre flat...

Go to a scrappy, a friend of mine picked up two Range Rover bottle jack setups (jack, two handles, 2 wheel chocks) for £15 the pair.

I have 2 myself, (from my Rangies :rolleyes: ) and find them invaluble, nothing like having a pair of jacks with exactly the same characteristics when getting a vehicle up on stands/blocks.... so much easier.

The head is less of an issue than the fact that most cheap bottle jacks have not got the lift range to elevate a completely flat 7.50x16 tyre up to a height that you can fit an inflated one on - most are only single stage with a screw out second stage whereas what you need is a proper two stage one. The single stage ones are fine for changing one wheel for another but try doing it with the tyre flat...

One way to overcome this, is to drive the flay tyre up on a (thick) piece of wood or similar, then jack up the axle, remove the flat tyre and wood and you should have enough room to refit an inflated tyre.

One way to overcome this, is to drive the flay tyre up on a (thick) piece of wood or similar, then jack up the axle, remove the flat tyre and wood and you should have enough room to refit an inflated tyre.

Yes a small bit of 3x9 or something will work but it is more faff than having a bottle jack the right size :)

Thanks for the replies -

I have a friend on the hunt for one as he thinks he may have some tucked away. will know after the weekend. other than that, it looks like ebay (risk of buying another dodgy one) or buying a new one and getting someone to weld a head on the top. I am still confused as to why none of the manufacturers offer one with an axle tube head on!

:)

Yes a small bit of 3x9 or something will work but it is more faff than having a bottle jack the right size :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the 2-stage LR jack, but if need be, it's nice to have some options even with a lesser speced jack.