Fitting a 300tdi turbo to a 200??

Steve 90

looking good, its got me thinking about doing this to mine as wherever i position the snorkel it gets smashed about!

how come youve had to move the brake and clutch pipe mate?

I can fully recommend it. Main reason for doing it was flattening the snorkel all the time plus the air box arrangement was less than watertight. The disco manifolds were a bit cluttered and would need an arrangement of right nasty bends to turn the air intake back. This has tidied it all up.

Dont have to move the brake and clutch pipes really, Just had to bend them a bit and now as you can see they are untidily stuck up, kinked and messy so I'll make some new ones and route them a bit neater.

• 3 weeks later...

Its all up and running but I hadn't even thought to post any more about it untill a forum member asked if there was any news so heres a few pics. Not the best but you'll get the idea.

post-1274-1216058512_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1216058650_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1216058683_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if its due to the much better (less restrictive) front pipe shape, the fact it has 3" pipe right up to the turbo with a pretty restriction free run or a combination of both but the engine is a lot sharper off the bottom and the Turbo spins up a lot sooner than before giving a much wider spread of power. Its made the truck much nicer to drive. Jase drove it yesterday for quite a while and he also commented on it pulling well and feeling lively at the bottom. Im real pleased with the way it all turned out. Air intake is out of harms way but it is quite noisy on the road if you don't have a rear window.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry cant help with the part no.

But just to recap on what Steve has said , Yes I wa very impressed with the power increase at lower rpm , Hardly any lag at all and gets up and goes alot quicker than a TD5 (Standard Tune) , Instant on tap power , I guess as Steve says its down to the increase in induction pipe diameter and as Steves set up is more or less in a straight line into the turbo the air delivery is a lot smoother .

But Im not going to copy him , Im using black hoses :lol::lol:

What manifold gasket are you guys using for this conversion? 200 disco or 300 gasket? Part # would be great. Thanks!

I used a 300 Tdi defender manifold gasket, I cant remember the part number. If I can dig it out I'll post it tomorrow..

• 3 months later...
Steve 90,

Can you shed some light on the dipstick arrangement you've worked out? I'm trying to figure this out while maintaing the correct amount of the stick in the crank case oil.

Thanks.

Yep, Will try and get some pic's as that will be easier than trying to explain. Things have been pretty busy but hopefully find time tomorrow.

Steve.

Steve 90,

Can you shed some light on the dipstick arrangement you've worked out? I'm trying to figure this out while maintaing the correct amount of the stick in the crank case oil.

Thanks.

Well ive tried and I cant seem to get a decent picture so I'll try and explain.

The 300 dipstick is just a push fit with an O ring grove around the tube that sits in the hole in the block. So I measured the distance from the end of the 200 dipstick to the tube nut that screws in the block then cut the dipstick tube so I could get the nut off. I then put the tube nut in the lathe and bored it out until the 300 dipstick tube sat in it with the same amount of dipstick protrusion that the 200 one originally had. Then I screwed the nut into the block, Pushed the 300 dipstick tube in and secured it with a P clip to one of the alt bracket bolts (or could have been a manifold bolt, Cant remember without having another look)

Hope that makes sense!!!!

• 6 months later...

done this as well through cab intake and TD5 intercooler :P

was quick an simple to do really..

you can see how i routed the org dip stick... (engine is a Disco 200tdi)

hmm just remembered i need to paint that bracket...