CD player

When it arrives my new Defender will have a CD player in it. Problem is I am a bit of a ludite and have never owned a CD player or naturally any CD's. I will want to start a collection of CD's and am wanting to establish a cost effective way of achieving this. I remember a lot of controversy over Napster a couple of years ago. Could anyone advise the best way to go?

Thanks

MINESAPINT

Find someone who has the same taste in music as you, borrow some CD's & burn them on your computer.

It can get very pricey going out & buying CD's......before you know it, you can have spent hundreds of £££'s.....my collection is worth about £8k & has taken years to build.

Burning CD's is considered piracy of course!

Guest otchie1
When it arrives my new Defender will have a CD player in it. Problem is I am a bit of a ludite and have never owned a CD player or naturally any CD's. I will want to start a collection of CD's and am wanting to establish a cost effective way of achieving this. I remember a lot of controversy over Napster a couple of years ago. Could anyone advise the best way to go?

Thanks

MINESAPINT

Reading music from shiny spinning disks is a bit pants in 2008. What you really want Sir is a nice new SD memory card player with built in USB port to connect a MP3 player.

No shiny disks to buy, no shiny disks to store, no shiny disks to scratch, no shiny disks to skip and jump over our modern mirror smooth roads :-)

And you can buy your music by the track rather than by the album....you can even legally copy your legally owned CDs to your personal MP3 player.

Players start at about £50

Here or here

I bought an Eltax about a year ago and recommend one but they are all sold out in the UK.

No shiny disks to buy, no shiny disks to store, no shiny disks to scratch, no shiny disks to skip and jump over our modern mirror smooth roads :-)

And you can buy your music by the track rather than by the album....you can even legally copy your legally owned CDs to your personal MP3 player.

Players start at about £50

MINESAPINT has never owned a CD player or CD's before, dont confuse the issue with this sort of technology!

Also, why would you want to spend extra money on an item when there is a really good CD player fitte free?

Consider as well that any CD will jump when driving on harsh roads. It is useless, so rather plug an MP3 player

Mobile CD technology has moved on. CD's dont often jump nowadays in a vehicle. If you are driving over ground SO rough that it can make a modern CD player skip.....them you really ought not to be listening to music, and concentrating more!

Buy some blank discs & burn all your favourite songs onto half a dozen of them, then you will be set for awhile and have spent no more than a few quid & couple of hours of your time.

Guest otchie1
Buy some blank discs & burn all your favourite songs onto half a dozen of them, then you will be set for awhile and have spent no more than a few quid & couple of hours of your time.

Or just buy one SD card about the size of a stamp and put all your music on it in less than 5 minutes.

Then rather than sticking a shiny disk in a slot you just stick the card in a slot but it never jumps, never gets scratched and can be deleted/rewritten/updated whenever you feel like it.

If you have the cash for a new LR, I venture to suggest that you have that cash to stretch to a £50 CD/SD/USB/MP3 player fitted by your local Halfords or similar.

But then again I see iPods as 'old hat' as they still have moving parts in them :lol:

Thanks guys,

The post has made me aware of the possibility of connecting an MP3 or Ipod to the the CD player which I had not thought of subject to the CD player having the AUX connection. This I will have to check. The vehicle is an 08 Hard Top County.

I have searched the internet for music downloads and free music downloads which has thrown up some interesting possibilities.

Napster. Free for 7 days then £9.95 month but can be cancelled monthly.

MP3-freebie. 66p a month.

musicdownloadinc.net 30p a month.

music download pro 39p a month.

Anyone any experience of using these sites or can you recommend others?

Thanks

MINESAPINT

Thanks guys,

The post has made me aware of the possibility of connecting an MP3 or Ipod to the the CD player which I had not thought of subject to the CD player having the AUX connection. This I will have to check. The vehicle is an 08 Hard Top County.

I have searched the internet for music downloads and free music downloads which has thrown up some interesting possibilities.

Napster. Free for 7 days then £9.95 month but can be cancelled monthly.

MP3-freebie. 66p a month.

musicdownloadinc.net 30p a month.

music download pro 39p a month.

Anyone any experience of using these sites or can you recommend others?

Thanks

MINESAPINT

there is also www.emusic.com

Needing help now!

After searching for music to download I signed up to we7. Have tried & tried to play or download some music but no luck whatsoever. The instructions available on the site bear no resemblance to the site. They might as well be describing how to make pork pies!

Is it just me? I freely admit to being a numpty where computers are concerned! Additionally I may be hampered with my slow connection, my average download speed is 2Kb per second.

Any help appreciated.

MINESAPINT

I have bit torrent. I just search the web for whatever album 'torrent file' when you get the torrent you download it into your program and that file tells it where to find the music you want. hmmm, im useless at explaining stuff! but it really is easy, and free.

Well an album on average is around 60MB. Use a client like utorrent or azureus as they offer more options and are usually faster than the old bittorrent client. I assume you're on dial up, the answer in that case would be about 2 hours 20 minutes. At 5.5MB which is about the size of an mp3 song (bit bigger than average but depends on quality) it would take just under 13mins at 2Kb/s.

You should get broadband if possible if you are on dial up as you'll probably find it wont cost you much more if at all. I can get up to 1Mb/s on mine but depends on the bandwith avalible. I usually average around 600-700Kb/s.

I have bit torrent. I just search the web for whatever album 'torrent file' when you get the torrent you download it into your program and that file tells it where to find the music you want. hmmm, im useless at explaining stuff! but it really is easy, and free.

No it isn't free. It's stealing.

I have now established the CD player in my new Defender will not have an AUX input so I need to concentrate my efforts in obtaining tracks I can copy to CD.

Yes I am on dial up and cannot get broadband, something to do with distance from the exchange? (11 miles).

There do seem to be differences of opinion with regard to whether downloaded music is "FREE" or "STEALING"?. I suppose it could only be decided on a case by case basis. I am beginning to understand that new artists are prepared to let their music be downloaded for free to "get it out there". With regard to established artists, clearly making music is their job and they expect to be able to sell it in one way or another and receive their agreed share of the proceeds. However there are various and ever more creative ways of selling it. ie. selling a CD to a newspaper to be given to all readers, agreeing that a web site could distribute it freely for a cut of advertising revenue generated by that web site etc. So I do not see that downloading music is always stealing and quite honestly however much I would like to obtain all my favourite music for free I am far too afraid to get caught as I understand the potential fines/penalties are substantial.

There is a major problem as far as I can see which is when we find a track available for downloading for free how do we establish if it is legal? If NOBBYS post is correct none of us need to worry about the downloading bit as it is legal in the UK.

MINEAPINT

If I were you I would possibly look at using AMAZON.CO.UK or Ebay in order to buy yourself cheap CD's. Original second hand CD's can be had for a few pounds and there is a massive choice available to you. Its also worth looking at PLAY.COM as they have new CD's that are pretty cheap too, and its all legit.

Generally with downloading it should be easy to spot which sites are doing it legally and which ones are illegal. most peer2peer sites are illegal downloads.

Something else to look at - your CD player may play MP3's that are on a CD - the player in my transit van does. It makes life easier because I can put around 8 albums on one CD in MP3 format and not have to mess around carrying a big wallet full of CD's!

:)

MOG,

AUX socket. I looked in the Land Rover pric list Oct 2007 page 11. Under entertainment it is clear that Land Rover fit 2 different models of CD player. The XSSW and XSDCPU are fitted AUX socket for ipod/mp3 player. The rest ie County Hard Top have just the standard fitment. Whether anything will have changed between Oct 2007 and end July 2008 when mine is due I will have to wait and see. Never know your luck, they might run out of the common CD players the day before mine is built!

MINESAPINT

I have now established the CD player in my new Defender will not have an AUX input so I need to concentrate my efforts in obtaining tracks I can copy to CD.

Yes I am on dial up and cannot get broadband, something to do with distance from the exchange? (11 miles).

There do seem to be differences of opinion with regard to whether downloaded music is "FREE" or "STEALING"?. I suppose it could only be decided on a case by case basis. I am beginning to understand that new artists are prepared to let their music be downloaded for free to "get it out there". With regard to established artists, clearly making music is their job and they expect to be able to sell it in one way or another and receive their agreed share of the proceeds. However there are various and ever more creative ways of selling it. ie. selling a CD to a newspaper to be given to all readers, agreeing that a web site could distribute it freely for a cut of advertising revenue generated by that web site etc. So I do not see that downloading music is always stealing and quite honestly however much I would like to obtain all my favourite music for free I am far too afraid to get caught as I understand the potential fines/penalties are substantial.

There is a major problem as far as I can see which is when we find a track available for downloading for free how do we establish if it is legal? If NOBBYS post is correct none of us need to worry about the downloading bit as it is legal in the UK.

MINEAPINT

There is no grey area when it comes to downloading music. Downloading music you have paid for is legal in the UK. Downloading music the artist or the artists record label has told you is free is also legal, but only because you have been given permission by the owner to do so. But downloading anything else is illegal and stealing. All peer to peer stuff (such as bit torrents) is stealing as you haven't paid the artist anything but you have taken possession of the product. You wouldn't walk into a shop and take a CD without paying for it would you?

Bowfinger,

I have come across a site we7 which sounds as if you can download certain tracks for free as long as you also download some adverts. The performer is paid out of advertising revenue and I get music for free. However due to either my general incompetence or my VERY slow internet connection I am unable to download from the site anyway.

MINESAPINT