Should I take my baby to Croatia

VeryDisco

I've decided to go on hols this year, and after going to Morocco, Portugal and Spain with the ex, I'd like to go on an accompanied trip to Croatia.

BUT - it has been said I shouldn't take the Disco cos it's too old ( G plate) and has done 245,000 miles. :huh:

So - opinions please. Do I risk the existing vehicle, change the Disco for another vehicle that I don't know the history on, do I swap the engine, or do I go in the Corsa :lol: .

Take yours, you know it a replacement is normally a cast off for one reason or another.

just becasue a vehicle is new makes it no more reliable.

mileage ispretty meaningless to me my 90 had 98k on it when I got it since then the only original bits are

the engine and body work /chassis the rest has been replaced rebuilt by me or whne it was supplied

it had a new gearbox/I fitted a new transfer box/diffs replaced CV's bearings/suspension/wheels tyres

I'd happily set off on any length journey with the feeling that it could break down on the drive or never after all it is a L/R :lol:

PS get RAC international cover just incase

Tony

At a very first glance I got you were scared of bringing your son/daugher in Croatia (kidnapping?)...

:lol:

Give your Disco a full service by a trusted mechanic a month before the trip and go...

It's Croatia after all,not Mongolia...

;)

Thanks guys (Mandy I count us as guys too)

I thought it would be OK, but I didn't want to be the foolish optimist :D Well - not that far from home! It's had a new gearbox about 10k miles ago so I'm not too worried about that, I'll just take the spares I won't need and MM4x4 phone No!

M - I don't have kids, the Disco is my surrogate child :P

Richard - I'm intending on going in the Summer, you'll have to let me know how you get on, and what to look out for!

Fi

Only advice I can give is get the vehicle checked over before you go. Preferably by a company/person that knows what to look for (definitely not a main stealer as they know b***er all).

I went to Croatia last Christmas in my 1991 Discovery which has now covered around 350,000 KM's (it's Australian hence the KM) and we have just got back from Libya with it. Provided it's running well and the suspension is in good order you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Also you can get breakdown cover for most of Europe and possibly Croatia as well.

Depending on who you are going with and what the plan is, most of the stuff we did was not that hard. If you take care you should be OK. Don't be tempted into doing silly things with the Zagreb 4x4 club it's safer to back out and know you can get back home rather than take risks.

Ivan

Croatia is 6 hours drive from home home, we've got friends down on the border and its nice country, if you get stuck theres always someone to help. Even if your euro cover goes a bit wobbly you can either tow to Split and get on the Ancona ferry from there or head north for Hungary, Croatian mechanics arent too bad, just factor on them breaking something else while they fix the orignal problem :P

Make sure your rad is in good nick - its gonna be warm on the twisties and slow moving, the coast road is stunning from Dubrovnik northwards, you'll have a great time :)

:rolleyes:

Ivan

A bit off topic but I am intrigued by your trip to Libya. I have just returned from an 8,000 mile trip around North Africa and the Middle East on my Triumph motorcycle. During the course of which I rode right across Libya West to East. What I would have given to have had my V8 Ninety for that part of the trip! With petrol at 4p a litre and so much to explore you must have been in heaven. Did you have the compulsory "guide" and armed policeman riding shotgun though?

I have to go back there to the WW2 battlefields around Tobruk although you need a proper guide there because of the uncleared minefields. The sites in the desert are totally undisturbed, like the combatants walked away yesterday! and because there is little or no rain everything is so preserved. A 3 ton truck Bedford truck was recovered a couple of years ago complete with its cargo of ammunition, fuel and water. Its poor unfortunate driver was still in his seat after 60 years.

Tell me about your trip

Regards

:unsure:

Very Disco

Sorry!

Try Ottakers book shop or Amazon.com.

You have to do the trip though. Trust the force and you'll be OK. Pre Efi Landrovers are so easy to fix and parts are easy to find or even get mailed out to you. You have already covered the item I'd be worried about The gearbox and clutch (on a manual). There is not much else that is actually going to bring you to a grinding halt. Your V8 will get you home even if its only running on seven! So many people around the world know and understand Landrovers that it won't be any problem staying mobile.

Good Luck

I'v been to croatia 3 times in the last couple of years but sailing though its a great place and would of thought you will be able to get off road to see some great senery

Must say the the infarstructure is struggling to keep up but I've been in August and only seen a small part of it

Steve

Fi,

Just get it serviced by a good, reliable mechanic. Change all the lubes and filters (even the funny one by the fuel tank if it is fitted!), replace leaking seals, cam belt and anything iffy. Check shocks/springs and bushes, body mounts and the rear floor. Throw in some new bulbs in the head lights. Pack a SMALL spares pack for self fix and get recovery for as much of Europe as possible.

Fill up at a BP station on the way to the ferry and splash out on some Ultimate diesel for the first tank.

Oh and don't worry

I can't remember wher you live but if you are stuck for a good garage, drop it down here and we'll do it at work. If you live over Kent way get D90SV to do it as he runs a reasonable service bay...

I am going to Croatia as well, if that bl**dy old thing breaks down in Croatia and have to spend my holiday fixing it I will blame you lot. I think I will take a spare engine complete and 4 wheel bearing kits plus 4 prop repair kits, Oh! I best take a pair of axles and diffs as well.

That should do it, if not it's a can of petrol and a box of matches.

Geoff (Dad)