Fitting New (parabolic) Springs

sheeppimp

Hi, I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions, I finally got around to trying to fit the new parabolics on sunday, got the passenger side on ok with some faffing.

However I am struggling to get the drivers to fit - the dowels both top and bottom is about an inch too far forward to locate. I have tried fitting the spring to the axle and then to the chassis but again there's about an inch between the front spring eye and the chassis mount.

Any ideas on how I can make the two meet would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Toby (ever so slightly peeved :angry: )

you shouldn't need brute force (or ignorance) to fit springs.

jack vehicle up and support by chassis (whichever end you are doing, front or back).

keep axle off of springs whilst locating the spring into the mount of the chassis, then raise other end of spring upto the shackle end, make sure all bolts are loose, including the shackle to chassis bolts.

both ends of the spring should go into respective mounts easily.

then bolt on your axle.

stick the vehicle back on the ground before fully tightening the bush bolts.

Tonk is right. I've fitted a few parabolics and never had a problem with doing it. Axle off the springs and shackle end last.

You might find it easier if you slacken the bolt that secures the shackle to the chassis so that it moves more easily.

Les.

You might find it easier if you slacken the bolt that secures the shackle to the chassis so that it moves more easily.

Les.

you should do anyway, then retighten when weight of truck is back on it when on the ground, so you dont strain your bush.

Cheers Tonk,Les

Tonk's description is pretty much how I fitted the first one (passenger side) and it went together with just a little 'wiggling' to line up the dowel.

Went on to the drivers side and followed the same procedure but the dowel is approx an inch in fron of the axle. All bolts are loose on both sides including the shackle to chassis.

As the passenger side is now sitting higher than previously due to the new spring I'm wondering if maybe I need to jack the chassis up a bit higher to gain more clearance?

Does it matter which way round you do them?

Thanks for the suggestions so far

The distance between the eyes of the springs should be the same - compare them to make sure you haven't been given a wonky one.

Les.

I have - would have been just my luck. It's almost like the axles moved backwards between fitting the first and second. I haven't gone out to try tonight but hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to come at it with a fresh head.

As the above post would releasing the propshaft help?

You attach the spring and then attach the axle. As long as the prop sliding joint isn't seized - you should be able to manipulate the axle into position. The new springs tend to flare outwards as well, so it takes a bit of effort to get them in the locating pegs.

Les.

You shouldn't need brute force - but working on your own it can be a bit of a struggle to get the get everything to line up. I have used a ratchet strap in the past to pull the axle into position.

The worst problem I found after fitting parabolics was that the shocks bottomed out an inch and a half before the axles hit the bump stops. The increased ride height also showed up the wear in the rear prop with resultant knocking, banging and vibration. I was a bit surprised because the wear wasn't that bad. A new prop sorted the vibration and spacers under the bump stops sorted the shock problem.

just a wild shot, but you have got both ends of the axle in the air? ie you haven't still got the wheel touching the floor on the other side? that would make it interesting to fit a spring.

Just fitted the springs - sure enough the propshaft was holding the axle back. Not torqued everything up yet as I managed to strip the thread on one of the spring - chassis bolts :rolleyes:

Looks like I'm in the market for a new front prop. What does the panel reckon - take the old one to the local Agricultural engineers and get the old one modified or spend out for a complete new unit? If a new unit any recomended companies?

Thanks for all the help.

Once it's back on the deck check that the prop isn't binding on the UJ as well, mine did, it depends on the prop you currently have (or are getting) and the amount of lift the springs have provided which would depend on the vehicle configuration / weight and the springs you have.

The fix is either a wider angle prop shaft or wedges to tilt the axle back to the right castor angle. You can by wedges I believe pro-comp sell them via there website but have never actaully seen there's. I made a set of wedges out of some plate drilled to hold in place with the u-bolts then made wedge shaped with an angle grinder, I just ground it down till it fitted and looked about right.