Anyone whit this problem?

Hi

Some days ago I discovered a crack in the rear door of my 110 SW Defender PUMA (just with 15.000 km)

p1010230bs1.jpg

p1010228fb6.jpg

As you can see in the pictures, the crack comming from the window corner to the hinges side.

I just spoke with the dealer and they said that its necessary an analysis to see what happens.

By the way the door looks bended and does not close well in the upper part. Hinges are ok and do not show any damage

Does anybody had the same problem in the past?

Its a guarantee problem?

I suspect that the weigth of the spare wheel is quite heavy to me supported by the door.

Thanks in advance !!!

Guest WALFY

I don't see what there is to analyse. It's broken and should be fixed under warranty. I'd go bck and stamp my feet, the damage is obvious and will soon spread. Needs to be sorted ASAP.

There is no damage on my 90 XS PUMA, yet.

Do you drive on bumpy roads/off road a lot Eduardo? That would make the spare jump about and cause the door to flex. I have an '04 but the door seems to be the same as on the newer ones. I use a 255/85 tyre so I will be keeping an eye on mine!

Chris

Not seen any door break there ever. The old ones crack around the carrier and on the new ones, the carrier itself cracks around the bolts that hold it to the door but the doors seem OK even on our roads here!

Are you certain that somebody hasn't reversed into you because that is a classic way that back doors get broken and if it is just a gentle bump on the spare wheel it may not have left any trace...

Agree with 100% warranty.

I recall the older two piece rear doors giving up due the weight of the wheel and had to have mine repaired on the TD5 110 (pre 2002) but I'd not heard of problems with the one piece doors.

Get the dealer to fix it and then fit a carrier - or fit the carrier first and get the new door fitted without the holder.

Thanks to all,

Today I went to the dealer and they have the same impression: guarantee issue due the weigth of the spare wheel. They took some photos to send it to LR.

We will have a definitive answer on friday I hope.

After that, for me, the carrier is a must and I will put it anyway together with the door repair.

This is our family car and works almost 90% of the time in the city. The other 10% are some rougth roads but nothing too hard.

Bogmonster: You have a point, but in this case I should notice some damages in the hinges, but its looks perfect. By the way, to bump in the wheel must be a truck or something quite high.

Regards and thanks again!

Eduardo

Does anybody had the same problem in the past?

Its a guarantee problem?

I suspect that the weigth of the spare wheel is quite heavy to me supported by the door...

Happily I have not had that problem. I did fit a swing away spare carrier at about 4,000kms because I thought some damage could result on the rough roads here (had hoped it might help with dust too, which it didn't).

Would have thought it would be a straightforward warranty job.

Ruaraidh

Bogmonster: You have a point, but in this case I should notice some damages in the hinges, but its looks perfect. By the way, to bump in the wheel must be a truck or something quite high.

Another Land Rover or reversing into a wall are probably the most common causes here!

Guest WALFY
Another Land Rover or reversing into a wall are probably the most common causes here!

Surely to cause that much damage to the door by reversing into something or being reversed into, you would see some deforamtion to the rest of the door or have a broken window

Surely to cause that much damage to the door by reversing into something or being reversed into, you would see some deforamtion to the rest of the door or have a broken window

I'm 100% sure that was not a reversing in something and I don't believe that something hit the spare wheel (I checked again to see any damage in the wheel, but nothing appears). This door is used intensively by my 2 boys that are seated in the third row (may be one of the reason to have the problem early than others)

By the way, cheking the papers of the 10.000 km inspection, I complain that the rear door doesn't close equally at the upper part than the lower part. At that time I believe that was a misadjustment problem but, due the hurry in recieve the car comming back, the dealer had not time to readjust the door. I thought that the door were bending along time until the aluminium doesn't resist making the crack.

Anyway I will receive the answer tomorrow

Regards

Just to follow up.

I receive today a call from the dealer...

The cause of the failure is unknow but probably due a fatigue due a contamination in a welding point during the door assembly.

The door will be replaced under guarantee by a new one, but I must wait 2 weeks (they don't have doors in stock :(:( )

Regards,