6 bolt or 4 bolt adwest or gemmer?

I own a 1991 defender 90 and it has a 6 bolt steering box fitted which is leaking.

the make (I believe) is gemmer, it is painted bright green, which makes me think that it is not the original box.

today at the eastnor land rover show, I was talking to the chap on the adwest stand, and he informed me that originaly, a 1991 defender would have been fitted with an adwest 4 bolt steering box, now, my dilemma is about what box to buy, a 6 bolt or a 4 bolt, my worry is, was the pipework changed to fit the 6 bolt box and will I be able to sort it out if I buy an original 4 bolt box or should I buy another gemmer 6 bolter?

The 6 bolt is regarded as the weakest Box, the 4 is by far better and stronger more popular and readily available - you may struggle to finmd a good 6 bolt box - and the 3 bolt bolt stronger still but old, so the 4 would be best.

However what do you use the 90 for,?

If mainly road use then a 6 bolt would be fine and not worth the upgrade to the 4. To fit a 4 the 4x bolts are the same for the box, the opipework being key, but all these parts are factory fit, so its either find secondhand or buy new

HTH

Nige

Yep, your 6 bolt is a Gemmer box & is the same as mine in a yucky bright green & was a replacement for the original steering box which was also a 6 bolt gemmer.

the man at the adwest stand said that a 1991 def 90 would have been fitted with a 4 bolt adwest box and the 6olt was a replacement.

what I want to know is, what is the proper replacement, a 6 bolt gemmer or a 4 bolt adwest?

hard to tell what the original box would have been as either will fit. as you have a Gemmer in already & the hoses/connections to match I'd stay with that one or your into buying new hoses to suit the 4 bolt adwest box too.

mines had it's bottom seal replaed about 6 years ago & is still working & leak free.

PM or post uo the last 8 digits of your chassis number & I'll see what EPC says.

<_< I do agree with all the above .. go for a 4 bolt PAS.. A friend inherited my old box and changed from a 6 bolt (cheap quality actually) to a 4 bolt. I had a leaking episode where I marked every territory I went with PAS fluid,, I solved the problem though but had already bought a new one from adwest.. Came here within days...

take a look at it.. Like a machine gun,,,,, :lol:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/d...gsandPAS001.jpg

I have a 6 bolt Gemmer, IIRC one of the differences is that the Gemmer uses Torrington needle bearings for the main and input shafts whereas the 4 bolter uses bronze bushes.

I rebuilt mine 2 years ago with new bearings and seals and its been fine since.

For anyone else with a 6 bolt that needs rebuilding the following notes I made when I did mine might be handy;

Additional parts required to rebuild a 6 bolt Gemmer PAS box other than a standard aftermarket seal kit from Ebay/Paddocks etc (£20-30). The genuine LR kit is £157

Top cap bearing (retained by the 6 bolts);

Torrington B2012 full compliment roller 1 required

Main housing bearings;

Upper- Torrington B2016 full complement roller 1 required

Lower- Torrington B2020 full compliment roller 1 required

Input shaft;

Torrington B126 or IKO BA126Z

Seals

Input shaft seal;

Use standard 27*19*5 seal provided in kit, however if input shaft is worn/pitted use SKF or Chicago Rawhide Speedi Sleave part number 99076 in conjunction with standard seal.

http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/PDF/457027.pdf

Main shaft seal;

Upper/Inner high pressure seal, OE part-use instead of item provided in seal kit.

Claron Hydraulic seals Ltd, Polyseal part number P175125/1

Page 59 http://www.claron.co.uk/pdf/claron10.pdf

Dirt wiper/lower seal;

Use 45*32*6mm seal provided in kit or part number 10004219 from Eriks seals&orings

http://www.eapseals.com/

Additional dirt wiper/lower seal

Eriks V ring type A, part number 10014205 size ref V32A

Settingtool;

Dingocraft, http://shop.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/Other_tools.html

Or turned & externally knurled aluminium collar, dimensions: overall diameter 63.5mm (2.5"), internal diameter 19mm (0.75"), height 25mm (1.0")