mastic for body panels??

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

I'll be getting my sprayed body panels back from the body-shop this week, and when i assemble the truck together, i want to have plenty of sealant between the various parts.

mainly for water-proofness and a rattle free drive. when i built my 90 i just used B&Q black silicone sealer, the stuff for window and door frames.

is there anything better? what's sikaflex like?

cheers!

When I built my kingcab I sourced some seam sealer from my local automotive paint supplier. Its made by Tex. Its called Texflex pu. WHat it says on the packet.

1 part sealer adhesive

high strength structrual bonding

fast cure

overpaintable

Its done exactly what they claim. its apparently what the bodyshops use to rebuild vehicles after collision damage etc. Leaves a good finish if you smooth before it goes off to much & has left good water tight & rattle free joins. Costs between £5-8 depending who served me. Differing colours also.

Adrian

Have used sealant on a number of builds.

You want to use PU ( Polyurethane) rather than silicone.

Sikaflex, tigerseal, whatever, they all seam to do the same job so whatever your local paint or motor factor has in. My latest is Kommerling Kora Pur and cost me £6.30 per tube. comes in black, grey and white. Can be painted over if you want.

Steve

Guest diesel_jim

Nice one, thanks all.

i'll ask at the body-shop when i collect by shiney bits,see if they'll flog me a couple of tubes.

Has anyone on here used or have experiance of 2 part PU adhesives? From the background reading I've done a 2 part PU adhesive should be stronger than a 1 part, however I've not found anyhere on the net that lists a price for a 2 part. The old saying springs to mind "If you have to ask the price, then you can't afford it"

Yes the two parts are better but having mixed it you have to somehow dispense it.

You can get it in a tube but it has a special mixing system involving a plunger that has to be pumped up and down lots of times to mix it. When we have used it at work it becomes a two man job, one to mix it then collapse in a heap and the other to apply it. Not only is it very expensive you have to use the whole tube in one hit.

Steve

We have a similar thing at work called a Semkit for fuel resistant sealants used in aircraft fuel tanks & also used as a aerodynamic seal on some panel joints to provide a clean airflow over the aircraft surfaces, there easier to mix if left sat near a heater/radiator for a few hours before required.

Yes the two parts are better but having mixed it you have to somehow dispense it.

You can get it in a tube but it has a special mixing system involving a plunger that has to be pumped up and down lots of times to mix it. When we have used it at work it becomes a two man job, one to mix it then collapse in a heap and the other to apply it. Not only is it very expensive you have to use the whole tube in one hit.

Steve

We use a 2K PU sealer at work , it comes in a cartridge with a spiral mixer built into the nozzle and its mixes as it comes down the nozzle .All in one easy squeeze of the trigger .

We have a similar thing at work called a Semkit for fuel resistant sealants used in aircraft fuel tanks & also used as a aerodynamic seal on some panel joints to provide a clean airflow over the aircraft surfaces, there easier to mix if left sat near a heater/radiator for a few hours before required.

semkit, PRC desoto, Le Joint Francais.... all the same type of sealants, do you get them in a sealant gun type tube or canned?

Its a pain to mix the thing especialy since they are kept in a freezer (storage temp is low)... but they do seal well, and remain a bit flexible