Help for a young beginner please!

Hi all,

Im an 18 year old fan of the Defender, and i'm now thinking seriously of getting one of my own as a long term project. At the moment im driving a hatchback, and as im a fairly inexperienced driver i plan to go for the Defender 90. This is where i begin to stumble. i think the correct terms are Crew Cab and Country, so using those terms;

is it possible to change the panel above the rear wheels and below the roof so to change a Crew Cab into a Country? Or alternatively, if there is anything between them, such as a part glazed panel, that can be installed?

Also, im in the Liverpool area and have up to £2000 to spend on a late 80s/early 90s, so if anyone is looking to sell something like what id like in that area, gimme a link!

Many thanks for your time, Tom

Firstly wlecome and I'm sure a mod will be along soon to tell You to read the new members thingy at the top of the forum. :P I am not entierly sure what you are talking about. Do you want to change one that has a solid back end into a one with windows? This is a hard-top and station wagon respectively. the county station wagon is just a plusher version of the one with windows!

Thanks

Pete

Guest diesel_jim

Welcome to the fold young pedouin.... :lol:

The piece of bodywork you're referrring to is a "side panel", and yes, they're un-boltable and interchangable between 90's (or 110's... but not between 90's and 110's as they're a different size)

the terms you're thinking of are worded differently, the crew-cab is a "hard top", and the country is "station wagon". you can also get a county station wagon (no "R" in county) which is just a posher version of a station wagon.. tinted windows,stereo,sunroof and sometimes less leaks, although that depends on who built which particular vehicle on the day and how much of a hangover he had)

If you don't want to replace the side panels for ones with windows, there are plenty of suppliers who sell the windows, either genuine parts or aftermarket copies (and these vary from cr@p to not bad and fixed or sliding glass), you then need a tape measure, felt tip pen,roll of masking tape, drill, jigsaw, patience and a steady hand then some pop rivets and silicone sealer. do a search on here or LRO as the subjects have come up recently, and i posted a picture with all the measurements on.

couple of hours work and you've converted your hard top into a "window hard top"... to make it a pukka station wagon, you'll need some roof trim, side window trim and 4 rear seats. depends on if you want to carry passengers or not.

Also, im in the Liverpool area and have up to £2000 to spend on a late 80s/early 90s, so if anyone is looking to sell something like what id like in that area, gimme a link!

Many thanks for your time, Tom

Welcome to the forum,and may the mods have mercy on your soul.....Nah there a good bunch here really!! :P if you check out ebay your not far off with 2grand for something,if you scraped a little more youd have a better chance,if you look for one with dodgy paintwork maybe you could get it cheaper,painting its easy id help you with that,hope you get on okay

Hi, welcome to the forum young man!

Its all been said already about the differences between hard tops (no windows) & County's. Depends on what you plan to use the vehicle for, as to what to get.

Mine was a hard top, but I specced fitted windows & rear seats when I ordered it....and I soon discovered that the seats were a waste of space. Even when they are folded up, they still seem to take up about 50% of your usable space. If you will be carrying several passengers all the time, then rear seats will have to do...but you will find it is cramped back there if there are more than 2 people in.

If you plan to get into off-roading or expedition use, then dont bother with rear seats, as you will end up loading up the rear with all sorts of bits & bobs (and you can fit a helluva lot in there.)

For £2000, you can get some decent kit, but like most things, the more you spend.......

Look around for a TDi engined model, as these engines are legendary B) , and will last for ever if regularly maintained. If you end up getting something off Flea bay, try to get someone who knows Land Rovers to go with you to inspect it. Someone from here & local to you may well offer to help out....were quite a friendly lot!! ;)

Martin

Welcome Tom to LR4x4.com,

as some have said if your able to save up more cash, a early 200Tdi 90 in hardtop or station wagon body type would be better,

the older naturally aspirated diesel in 2.5litre form is a good solid/reliable engine & will give years of good service with care over oil & filter changes.

as it's been mentioned Please read & comply with the pinned info at the top of this forums threead list, it will help you use & understand how this site runs. there a really good bunch here & loads of top class knowledge & our Tech Archive torefer too.

Thanks everyone for your help. You've confimred what i thought you could do, but ive never been left alone with someones defender for long enough to have a dig around at the back. It appears ive still got a lot of research to do!

ive just seen one which has got a triangle of glass in the side panel, presumably for visibility (which is half the reason for me wanting one with windows). is that a standard thing or as someone said, a botched job with a jigsaw and some duct tape?

on regards with seats in the back, are bench seat irrtating at all when it comes to load space? and what about seat belts...

thanks again everyone, tom

the triangular windows are a aftermarket part & help with over the shoulder visibilty at angled road junctions.

if rear bench seats or the 4 individual seats are fitted these can/will fold up to leave the floor space between the rear archs clear for a load.

if the vehicle has seatbelt & or mseatbelt mountings fitted the belts must be fitted & working. if no belts are fitted they are not legally required & sideways facing seats are not suitable for children to use. as only lap belts are fitted, i's not possible to fit the normal 3 point belts as fitted to the front seats. if foorward facing seats are fitted the should have suiable 3 point belts fitted.

hope that helps.

the side panels with windows fitted can be found on ebay or in the LR mags adverts or even in our for sale forum, you can put a wanted advert in the 'wanted' section for some to suit your vehicle.

or you can go to any vehicle windscreen suplier such as 'Autoglass' & find out how much they would fit the windows for & they would be able to supply the glass & apporpriate seals too.

With regard to seats. Bench seats are irritating with regard to load carrying in the space as even when folded they occupy the entire wheel box. If you want seats in the back, you could get two individual seats and put them towards the front so you still have some space. There are different rules on seatbelts depending on the year of the car.

Pete

How do fella?

Good choice of car you've made, miles better than a nova and the like that most people of your/our age drive.

I think the best way to have seats in the back is to get a 110. I have a CSW and with the seats folded up the storage area for bikes (what I use mine for mainly) isn't great - a hardtop has miles more useable space.

Driving wise, having driven both a hardtop and a station wagon I find the windows make a huge difference - definitely worth having if it's to be a road car as well as going off road - you can always protect the windows with grilles if you want to do any serious off roading.

great tips guys thanks. keep them coming!

In response to LCJ, ive never been a fan of going down to halfords and screwing sheets of plastic to your car therefore making it faster. i currently drive my mums 11 year old peugeot 306, but its just a bit, hmm, poo. Always been a fan of the defender, then one of my mates came into school driving his dads highly kitted out defender, and was amazed that he could drive it. when he told me that his insurance was less than mine, i decided i had to get one!

i suppose the major benefit of the 110 over the 90 is that it has the extra row or seats, whilst still keeping the back free. hmmmm. can you get a 110 with hard top panels in the back? (if anyone understands what i mean there....)

thanks, tom

Guest noggy

course you can, a landrover 110 with van sides or you could but a stationwagon version and take the seats out, then theres no need to cut windows in yourself :D

i have aftermarket windows in the side of my 90, and tbh, they never look great.

im going to go truck cab in the near future, and if you buy a 90 with a truck cab, id certainly do you a swap for my stationwagon top.

hi guys. ive found a possible set of wheels. its a 1987 D reg defender 90, with a 2.5 diesel. its done 140k, which is a fair bit im aware, but benefits being its only £1250 and the dealer is 20 miles or so from mine. i think it could be a good starter for myself.

if i were to go for a look at it (considering it looks in ok condition for its age) where would be easily accessible points to look for rust etc?

thanks, tom

140k is alot for a normal car BUT it is quite possible to do double that in a well serviced defender. Look for major smoke on start up and get under the chassis to look for rust. Especially the rear steel member below the door at the back and the sticky outy bits on the front of the chassis and the cross member just behind them but in front of the engine. Try and get a LRO with a 90 buying guide in. I'm not sure which issue this is. Check the tyres are okay as it is quite expensive to get another set-but seeing as it is £750 less than your original estimate then you may have some money left. Are you planning on kitting it for off-road?

Pete

hi guys. ive found a possible set of wheels. its a 1987 D reg defender 90, with a 2.5 diesel. its done 140k, which is a fair bit im aware, but benefits being its only £1250 and the dealer is 20 miles or so from mine. i think it could be a good starter for myself.

if i were to go for a look at it (considering it looks in ok condition for its age) where would be easily accessible points to look for rust etc?

thanks, tom

Firstly: Welcome to LR4x4 :)

Secondly: Good choice of base vehicle.

Thirdly: Take your time to read back through the forum here as there are lots of threads on the pitfalls and what points to look out for when looking at LR's to buy. The information is already here - all you need to do is invest some reading and digesting it!

Fourthly: Even with your new found knowledge it would be advisable to have someone with you who actually has hands on experience of the vehicles when you go to view. Reading about what to look for is one thing but an experienced person will spot potential issues a lot quicker and might save you a lot of money and hassle in the long run.

Fifthly: Don't rush! As you seem to be unsure of the various models make a point of going to see several examples of each type, this will help you get a feel of what would be best for you ...rather than basing your views on what others think will be best for you ;)

Sixthly: Check out both private sales as well as dealers. Your budget is going to limit your choice but it is imperative that you base your choice on a solid vehicle, rather than age or bolt on goodies.

Good luck! ;)

Welcome Tom. As you have noticed this is an excellent forum.

I have a 110 CSW and before that a 90, also CSW. I found the rear seats in the 90 to be a complete waste of space, they are uncomfortable even for short distances .... space is limited in a 90 when you do overlanding and regular camping. 90's are like rock spiders when you go off road and not bad for parking either.

The 110 CSW has a rear bench seat that folds away if needed, similar to a double cab setup. The seats in the load space are also a waste ...... mine came out after the first week of owning it. They can be re-installed with a bit of effort ..... nothing serious. When the rear seats are removed and the bench seat folded away or removed you will have ample space at the back. If space is not what you need now ..... you probably will later.

As for engines ..... if you do not fear electronics, a well looked after TD5 has plenty power.

Good luck with your choices and let us know what you end up buying. :)

Wikus

nah electronics shoud be no trouble for me. sitting exams in maths, physics and electronics, in fact ive got my electronics exam in 3 hours, and im hopefully going to edinburgh to do electrical and mechanical engineering! anyways, if i get stuck, theres nothing a haynes manual wont help with

Well good luck with the exam groceries. Rather try the technical archive on here if you need info or ask some of the "grown ups" ...... best LR info you will find. Downloads for manuals etc are available also. Haynes will work for the Clio and some bedtime reading :lol:

theres nothing a haynes manual can help with

welcome in, and good luck with your first landrover. there are plenty of helpful people on here to guide you should you get stuck (mechanically and muddily :) )

the tech archive is your friend for any other times - miles better than the Haynes book of lies