Racing seats in me landy?

series 3

Im just wondering has anyone round here managed to fit a set of nice comfortable racing seats into their landy. If so, do you just whack em in with a universal rack and get on with it or do you need to go the road of all this safety nonsense before the government will let you use it.

Is it a SWB or a LWB?

I've seen them fitted in a few LWB with no problems, and I've seen them in SWB but it gets a bit tight between the steering wheel, some people fit smaller metro steering wheels but they make steering require more effort.

I've seen the seats bolted straight down to the floor as there wouldn't be any room to move it forwards and I've seen runners bolted to the floor, it's one of the easiest cars possible to fit different seats to

Is it a SWB or a LWB?

I've seen them fitted in a few LWB with no problems, and I've seen them in SWB but it gets a bit tight between the steering wheel, some people fit smaller metro steering wheels but they make steering require more effort.

I've seen the seats bolted straight down to the floor as there wouldn't be any room to move it forwards and I've seen runners bolted to the floor, it's one of the easiest cars possible to fit different seats to

Its a long wheel base. Does the law have anything to say about this mod that you know about? cause bolting the seats directly to the floor seems a bit dangerous (I have a capri and have put racing seats into it and was told in no uncertain terms that if I bolted seats to the floor and I have a crash they will rip themselves up and you probably know the rest of that situation :blink: . I had to get special brackets.

You might like to consider just how practical racing seats aren't - and how comfy something with minimal padding is going to be in a leaf-sprung landy.

I fitted a set of Defender seats and they're plenty comfy for long journeys and off-road, plus I can get in and out of the truck without clambering about the place.

LR standard is M8 or M10 Rivnuts into the seatbox, highly secure! :blink: I guess they rely on the seatbelt stopping you and the seat from going out through the windscreen :lol:

^^^^^^^

seconded, I had a set of buckets in a lightweight and they were a pain in the butt (and back, shoulders, knees etc) pun intended

they were fitted to rails and piano hinges to give access to the underseat tanks :blink: (I was young and foolish :P )

Is it possible to fly out the front windscreen of a series ??? :blink::blink: maybe they designed it as a safety net, so you can't fly out at all :lol:

I second defender seats, have a set in my 88", very comfy for all sorts of driving, Offroad, Travelling, daily use. and they are a straigth swap, holes line up

perfectly. plus you will still be able to access the underseat boxes. get the non cloth ones they are easier to clean. a set of H-safetybelts might help keep you in place when off roading / racing though.

Anders

Nah I aint goning for racing seats just becasue I think they are more comfortable (it seems they arent) Im doing it because I want something different from what everyone else has got. I dont think Id get as big a kick from saying to someone "why yes I did put defender seats into my series. Am I crazy or what!", by the way thats not a jibe at anyone who has that in their landy its me explaining my beleif in owning and modding a landy. Have any of you guys ever thought what would be the most ridicuolously attention grabbing and downright insane mod to strap onto your landy and done it? Id love to know.

Your spirit is commendable but I fear the execution leaves a bit to be desired. Lots of people have stuck racing seats in Landies, some for racing and others for various other reasons. Doing it to get attention seems a bit close to the mentality of the average Corsa or Saxo owner for my personal liking. Sticking a racing engine in with standard seats would be a bit better IMHO.

For proper insanity, just scan through the Members' Vehicles Forum, starting with Rogue Trooper's V12 Series project... he may just have justification to fit some racing seats to that.

Hi

I fitted defender seats in the 109 and rangy seats in my defender, easy to do, whoever told you about the seats needing anchoring down like seatbelts was spouting, they (and you) are stopped by the seatbelt in a crash, which is why seatbelts are very securely fixed.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ive got cobra monaco "s" fixed back buckets in my lightweight...

Best decision i ever made with it! Very comfortable, very supportive and I also have Willans harnesses to hold you in properly... With little roll over protection i advise it and contrary to the reports of them being uncomfortable, they are so good im putting them in my Tomb Raider 90 next year (when funds permit!!)...

Go for it but be advised that if yours is a soft top, get vinyl ones... Pain in arse to keep dry!!!!!

JB

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Im starting to think that the guy who told me that is full of rubbish, but anyhoo. Speaking of seatbelts, the anchor points on the rear half of my landy for the seat belts for driver and passenger have eaten through the aliminium. This left me with two trapeze shaped holes in my rear body and a whole heap of trouble. I have simply cut a new peice of aliminium with lips all round it, bent them so the peice sits flush with the original metal and riveted them on. I am pretty sure this is an mot failure and am wonderin what can be done about it.

Nah I aint goning for racing seats just becasue I think they are more comfortable (it seems they arent) Im doing it because I want something different from what everyone else has got. I dont think Id get as big a kick from saying to someone "why yes I did put defender seats into my series. Am I crazy or what!", by the way thats not a jibe at anyone who has that in their landy its me explaining my beleif in owning and modding a landy. Have any of you guys ever thought what would be the most ridicuolously attention grabbing and downright insane mod to strap onto your landy and done it? Id love to know.

O/T but here's what i done to my volvo 940 TDI...... Lift muds and bullbars....

But the mods did what they were supposed to do going to work...

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?Memb...toId=3705656489

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?Memb...umId=3705483145

i have 'off road' racing seats in my series, and i like the sound of defender seats, its a PAIN to get in and out with the side edge of the seat, but i don't mind the extra effort from the steering (15" wheel) cos it makes my arms big :D