HELP, can't get it in gear

this morning I drove my def. 90 200 Tdi about 6 miles to pick up something, but on the way back I found it increasingly difficult to change gear.

I managed to get home by keeping it in third and parked it on my drive. Now I can't select any gear at all.

I bled the hydrolics but it made no diffrence.

Now, just before this happened I did notice that the clutch was biting as soon as I started to lift my foot, and it wasn't like that last week.

Does this sound like my clutch has gone or could it be a problem with the hydrolics?

this morning I drove my def. 90 200 Tdi about 6 miles to pick up something, but on the way back I found it increasingly difficult to change gear.

I managed to get home by keeping it in third and parked it on my drive. Now I can't select any gear at all.

I bled the hydrolics but it made no diffrence.

Now, just before this happened I did notice that the clutch was biting as soon as I started to lift my foot, and it wasn't like that last week.

Does this sound like my clutch has gone or could it be a problem with the hydrolics?

May be clutch or may be clutch fork getting pressed through. May also be hydraulics.

May also be your gearbox seperating from your engine but this is highly unlikely on a landie.

Ive had this problem. Bleeding the clutch actually made it worse for some reason. New clutch master cylinder sorted it to 'like-new'

took the old unit apart and the bore was not scratched - the opposite shiny smooth but the seal was worn badly.

If its done more than 70k miles buy a complete new master ylinder there not expensive

:ph34r:

Ive had this problem. Bleeding the clutch actually made it worse for some reason. New clutch master cylinder sorted it to 'like-new'

took the old unit apart and the bore was not scratched - the opposite shiny smooth but the seal was worn badly.

If its done more than 70k miles buy a complete new master ylinder there not expensive

thanks steve, do you think it would just go, (one day fine next gone) or do you think there would be some signs?.

Hi,

Do you have freeplay at the top of the pedal travel and a spongy feel to the pedal if so it's likely to be hydraulic either master or slave cylinder trouble, again if it went quickly there's really little point in bleeding, they can be a sod, a power bleed unit is a great help, master might well be the first to replace, had a disco in recently which took hours to "get right" could be clutch fork but I think this is hydraulic.

Yes they do just go :( .

If the slave fails the fluid normally gets pumped in to the flywheel housing and runs out of the wading plug hole.

If its the master cylinder it can do various things depending on what has failed.

Normally fluid runs down the pedal on to the floor, although I have had it where there is a vacuum generated & the pedal remains down. The seal had broken up internally (late type pedal box).

Rod

Edit to say, if the clutch fork punches through the pedal goes solid.