CV S help

Hi all, Silly q coming

Is it possible to tell what cvs i have without reaching for spanners. Iknow the axle no. is wrong for the componenents as i have changed both stub assys. previously and discarded the relevant center tube . If what i have read on this forum is correct (usually is IMHO) Then i need 23/24spline 200tdi cvs. Help please :unsure:

Thanx DW

Hi all, Silly q coming

Is it possible to tell what cvs i have without reaching for spanners. Iknow the axle no. is wrong for the componenents as i have changed both stub assys. previously and discarded the relevant center tube . If what i have read on this forum is correct (usually is IMHO) Then i need 23/24spline 200tdi cvs. Help please :unsure:

Thanx DW

So do you know where your current stub assemblies came from? AFAIK 200TDi would be 32/24spline.

Are we referring to a Defender or Disco here? If it's a Defender, then AFAIK the following should be correct:

For pre-Defender up to axle no 20L48865, the half shafts will be AEU2520(RH) & AEU2521(LH), being 10 spline at the diff end and 23 spline at the CV end. CV joint is AEU2522 (the stongest of the factory offerings).

Pre-Defender through 200tdi Defender and up to almost 300tdi Defender (axle no 20L48866 onwards), the half shafts will be RTC6754(RH) & RTC6755(LH), being 10 spline at the diff end and 32 spline at the CV end. CV joint will be RTC6862.

From VIN LA930456 to WA159806 (basically all of 300tdi), the half shafts will be STC3049(RH) & STC3050(LH), being 24 spline at the diff end and 32 spline at the CV end. CV joint will be RTC6862.

From VIN XA159807 (I assume to be TD5 onwards), the half shafts will be TDC000020(RH) and TDC000030(LH). I think the splines are the same as 300tdi. CV joint will be TDJ000010.

Paul :)

Easy way to tell is look at the drive flange on the front axle; if its the earlier wide one then its an AEU2522, if its a narrow one its a later type (and is weaker)

Hi Will,

I thought this too until we stripped a 200 TDI def front axle presuming it would have 2522's fitted because it had the older thick flange but found it had a 10 spline at the diff, smalled 32 spline at the CV and the actual CV was the same length as the 2522 but obviously accepted the 32 spline shaft,

this was the one used inbetween the 2522 and the late 300/TD5 set up,

Hi Will,

I thought this too until we stripped a 200 TDI def front axle presuming it would have 2522's fitted because it had the older thick flange but found it had a 10 spline at the diff, smalled 32 spline at the CV and the actual CV was the same length as the 2522 but obviously accepted the 32 spline shaft,

this was the one used inbetween the 2522 and the late 300/TD5 set up,

Thanks Dave, I never realised they did that.

I'm getting a tad confused now... :huh:

...what's inside the axle off a '86 Diesel Turbo 90 then?

I dismantled the housings,10 splines to the diff and thick flanges outside...

AEU2522s as I hope?

(need to sell them to raise money,erm)

:rolleyes:

Edited to say that:

2522s by 'cat

:D

I'll measure them anyway to be sure...

AEU2522s as I hope?

Edited to say that:

2522s by 'cat

Yes, M, that should use AEU2522s

If you want the best of all the options, use a post 2000 axle case featuring not only the larger radius arm bushes but also larger panhard rod bushes and a straight panhard rod. Then go to Ashcrofts, they do a half shaft that will enable you to run 24 spline at the diff end and 23 spline at the CV joint, then use their CV joints (assuming they are available now) or the LR 2522 CV with Ashcroft drive flanges. bung a 4 pin diff in the middle and it should be a pretty tough front axle.

Guest diesel_jim

AEU2522s as I hope?

Edited to say that:

2522s by 'cat

At that age (1986) i'm sure they should be AEU2522's

At that age (1986) i'm sure they should be AEU2522's

Hola mate,hope you're fine!

I finally dismantled them yesterday,they're perfect.

Now on sale in the class. forum...

:)