Guess what its called

They were fitted to some older cars. Think it may of been an option on things like MGBGT etc but not sure and can't find one in their parts list...

They go into the coolant line that goes to the heater matrix, so that the coolant flow to the internal heater matrix doesn't start until the engine is warmed up.

If ya know what its called, then ya could also guess where to get one from for me ;):lol:

I'd call it a thermostat.

Just make sure blocking the heater flow doesn't cause any problems - for example the hot water to the LPG evaporator on my SIII is in the heater circuit and stopping this flow could cause the unit to freeze up.

Guest diesel_jim
Early Rover 200's had a manual valve in the heater circuit, operated by the heater control cable.

You could always use a manual version.

Or jjb10011 (Mini heater valve)

As did some series 2.25 engines... i remember seeing one on an old engine of mine... it screwed into the corner of the block (there the hot water tapping is) and had a pipe (for the heater) and a cable going to one of the controls on the dash.

Are we referring to the heater valve as fitted to A Series engines and similar?

If we are talking the same thing and I think we are then it is just a cable operated valve that shuts of the water to the heater when the control is in the cold position. On both the A & B series engines this was mounted on the head ............these are always mounted on the head as it is the always the take off point for the 'hottest' coolant before is goes off the the radiator to be cooled..........

In the link that Mo gave............... drilling a bit deeper it is item number 44 here (1800 B series) http://www.ukmgparts.com/index1.html?o=12142077023738

The LR heater unit has this control built into the it.............

There would be no point in thermostatically controlling the water to the heater matrix as this is done by the engine thermostat.

:)

Ian

Late A+ 89 in minis had a plastic heater control valve mounted in the pipework. It is controlled by a cable with a loop on the end which hooks into the valve unit.

here is a link.. if it works - http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?pid=34140

'From 1989 until the introduction of the twin point injection cars, Rover fitted this in line floating heater valve which was the first time they never bolted the heater valve as a direct outlet on the cylinder head. A strange looking black plastic valve to control the water to the heater!'

On some engines the heater take-off come before the engine thermostat, this is to raise enough pressure to force the water through the heater.

True Roger.........quite a lot do, mainly to ensure the heater produces some heat whilst the engine is warming up................... but once the engine is up to temp then the thermostat controls the overall coolant the temp...............

I uised to race A seires engines ................. you don't need a hater when racing , hence the valve is blocked off with a blanking plate............. but the exhaust manifold and front pipe glowing red tends to keep you warm.

Going back the the original post, I think Jimmy is wanting to fit a valve in the heater circuit to maybe warm the engine quicker.............. 200 TDI's are renowned for never reaching thermostat temps.................... but that functionality already exists in the heater unit on the bulkhead............

:)

Ian

They were fitted to some older cars. Think it may of been an option on things like MGBGT etc but not sure and can't find one in their parts list...

They go into the coolant line that goes to the heater matrix, so that the coolant flow to the internal heater matrix doesn't start until the engine is warmed up.

If ya know what its called, then ya could also guess where to get one from for me ;):lol:

clickone of these?

post-892-1214250021_thumb.jpg

post-892-1214250042_thumb.jpg