Tire Size

235/85R16 is a factory size these days, though most vehicles have 7.50R16 on steel wheels.

265/75R16 will fit with no problems and used to be a factory size on 90's in the late 1990s, but will only fit on 7x16 rims - they were fitted on alloys by Land Rover, the 5.5" steel rims are not wide enough for a 265 (manufacturers will tell you they are also not wide enough for 235s but experience begs to differ!). I run 265/75R16 on Land Rover 7x16 alloys on my 110, and it causes no problems at all.

Mine http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...20&start=20 :)

Oh do modulars have more of an offset that LR rims like wolf and such.

How much of a difference is the offset and what rims would be the best for 235/85R16 and 265/75R16. Wolf rims or 16x7 modulars. Which combination would give the best alignment under the wheel arch of a defender 90 with standard suspension.

Thanks

Steve

BFG MT 265/75/16 on Disco 16 x 7 steel rims slightly rub against the frame(?) that holds the upper part of the spring in th rear of my defender Td5.

They rub just a little bit and you actually do not notice it while driving and it does not restrcit axle articulatio, just a little bit less paint...

No rubbing at all against the outer plastic (eyebrows ?).

They do restrict steering a bit.

Cheers,

Santiago

ok Thanks, what about 285/75/16?

Thanks, Tom.

A 285/75 tyre is tall as a 255/85, with a diameter of 84cm (aprox). 3.5 higher than a 235/85 or a 265/75.

So you can lift your axle but is heavy and the the wide of the tyre can stress your trasmission...

Anyway in a standard Def I think you could have some problems in compression, relating to the rim's offset: often, with a negative offset, tyre scratch on the wheel arch, but isn't a big problem!

I think that a 255/85 is a better choice than a 285/75: a little bit narrower and light but with the same diameter.

The nas came with 265/75/R16 BFG All Terrains on standard LR alloys straight from Land Rover and apart from scraping the front hockey sticks if the steering stop is not adjusted correctly. Otherwise they were fine.

Thats with standard springs.

If you use modulars or any rim with a different offset to the alloys then without a lift you probably will scrape the eyebrows.

The alloys have about 1.5ins more inset than steel rims.