Series v. Defender compatibility

Greenmobile

I'm looking at moving from coils to leafs later this year so prepare yourselves for some numpty questions, and am wondering what bits of kit I could swap from the 110 (1996) to a Series III 109 SW?

I have some 235/85 x 16 mud tyres on steels, sizewise I assume they'd be OK but are the stud spacings the same?

I've also got a full length galvanised Brownchurch roof rack and Superwinch hydraulic winch, could these be a straight swap or bodgeable?

Cheers,

James

wheels should be swappable - I'm running discovery steel wheels on my series. As far as I know the stud spacings are the same for all series/90/110/discovery 1 and classic range rovers. Alloys don't fit due to the drum brakes but all steel wheels should. (P38/ discovery 2 and freelanders are different I believe)

I think the roof rack should fit without too much fuss as I believe the roofs are the same width. Doors will swap as well I believe as will wings, bulkhead. The winch should probably swap over without much fuss.

I think that most of the body will swap, except for the radiator panel.

The wheel base is the same as are most body mounting points.

With suitable cutting most engines and gearboxes will fit.

Axles will fit with some welding.

Seats etc fit.

roofrack is no problem, winch may need work.

g

Wheels and tyres will fit.

Not much else will swap over without lots of cutting about. Wheelbases are NOT the same. LWB series is 109" - 110 is 110". However the roof is actually a different shape in the area around the windscreen so causes all sorts of fun and games, but you'll probably be near enough to fit without too much hassle.

Winch will not fit. Not only will the winch bumper not fit the series without serious surgery, I assume it is PTO driven, so the PTO will not fit.

Theres lots that can be made to fit, however theres lots of agro in making things fit!

Jon

235/85/16's will fit, but you will have to adjust the lock stops as they will rub (your turning circle will then be about 38 feet :lol: ). I have a Defender winch bumper and it bolts straight onto a series chassis, but two out of the 6 mounting holes don't line up with anything. To put the axles on a leafer you will have to put the axle brackets onto the coiler ones (spring seats, shock lower mounts). Lots of work on the axles to get them to fit, and as they are quite cheap to get second hand - it might be worth it to just to buy some. You can fit any engine - some will bolt straight in, but others will require fabricating engine mounts on the chassis. The front crossmembers are different, so a PTO winch may not have a straight run from the transfer box to the winch, and altering crossmembers might well be needed. If you use anything other than a series gearbox - you will also have to make gearbox mounts, as the series one is a straight bar right across the chassis and will foul on the transfer case. You may also have to alter the bulkhead and transmission tunnel cover. If you are going to fit the PAS, then the front crossmember will have to be removed/moved forward to accomodate the PAS box. With Defender axles - the wheels will stick out of the arches, so live with it or fit eyebrows (defender eyebrows will require the series outer wing cutting to fit them).

Les.

Congratulations on your excellent taste :P

Winch will not fit. Not only will the winch bumper not fit the series without serious surgery, I assume it is PTO driven, so the PTO will not fit.

Serious surgery depends on your definition I guess, I wouldn't have said it was that much hassle. If it's PTO driven then that won't swap, however Series PTO's appear on eBay quite regularly for not much money, and Defender PTO's go for very strong money, so you could well come out in profit there! The hydraulics (if it's hydro) would be transferable but you'd likely need to move stuff and get a load of new hoses made up, it could get a bit spendy.

You could be better off selling the whole winch setup from the Defender (you should see at least £500 for it if it's hydro) and buying a Series setup, I've seen complete mechanical PTO setups go for £150 although £250 would be nearer the mark, and you would expect to have to source or make a shaft or UJ or two.

The roof rack should swap with zero or minimal fiddling.

Wheels and tyres will swap, you may need to adjust the steering lock stops.