108k - High Mileage for a TD5?

I have been looking for a 110 TD5 for a while now and went to have a look at a 2002 XS Double Cab yesteday that I really liked the look of. The only thing that is putting me off is the high mileage of 108,000 with, as the advert says, a full service history

Now I haven't test driven it yet so that may throw something up, but if theat doesn't show any obvious nasties, I really will be tempted, especially at the price (a shade over 10k...?)

So, whats the general opinion?

at that it should just about be nicely run in & beginning to work properly :D all modern diesels should do 500,000 without to much effort, just so long as they've been regularly serviced.

I agree with Ralph, provided the vehicle's been correctly serviced, that mileage need not be a concern; my '02 110 has just turned over 65,000 miles and is only now getting into its stride!

Phil.

Ben, what miles on the 200Tdi ??? even that should cover 250,000 without problems & it's a fine engine :D

My 200Tdi is just a baby really, its on about 75K.

I really wish I could keep it, but we need to downsize the fleet and while I have a company car, the missus doesn't, but has to travel to clients.

We are selling her golf and the 90 to pay for the 110, which is a tidy alternative, and looking for a double cab keeps the tax down

We are also really getting into the overlanding holidays, and while we fit into a 90, the extra room the 110 offers is very attractive.

My 110 Td5 has 135k on it and is still sweet !

Gary @ TD5Alive chipped it a month or so ago, said it was running well and all OK !

Pulls much better since he did his magic !

Cheers,

Still having a real problem making my mind up between a County Spec 110DC with 70K, or a XS Spec 110DC with 108k.

The price difference is about £500 (the county is cheaper)

Any advice....?

Hmmm difficult one :)

Is the service history, owners etc good with both?

The XS for an extra £500 has a lot more gadgets that you might appreciate, on the other hand you can save yourself £500 and get one with less miles and less things to go wrong... it really does depend on the vehicle! Look at them both, drive both, and see which you prefer!

Bet I haven't helped one bit :P

I had a county 90 and now have an XS 110 (albeit a Puma).

With the TD5, the main things you're missing out on are the traction control and air con.

TC is an excellent system - it really works, however, Land Rovers have been operating without it for years without problems - you just need slightly more skill in driving the rough stuff. If you're doing anything really rough then you'd probably want to get locking diffs anyway.

The air con is pretty rubbish IMHO (although great on the Puma). It takes up a chunk of the passenger footwell and only serves to freeze the passenger's knee without actually cooling the interior much. You might benefit from it in hot climates but if you're overlanding you'll probably get frustrated more by the lack of knee-room. Likely just another thing to get serviced and break down.

Other differences include the leatherette seats (no better than cloth - just look nicer), the clear indicator lenses (woo hoo) and a grey/silver panel on the dash! Oh - and you get a couple more speakers, I think.

All in all it comes down to whether you want the ABS/TC.

Hope that helps

Cheers Alan,

I helped a mate buy an XS 110 and everytime i get in it I think I want one, but when i think of all the extra maintainance and bits to go wrong.......hmmm

I am going to test drive both over the weekend so we will see. For what its worth, the better half doesn't wwant the aircon and hates Bonatti grey (the colour of the XS) so the decision may already have been made!

Guest diesel_jim

The defenders i've drived with aircon have driven me up the wall....

it's really an afterthought, bolted on the bottom of the dash. you either knock your knees on it or bash your knuckes when you release the handbrake.

and what kind of an AC system allows you to have the heater blowing full heat and the AC full cold? :blink::blink:

but for £500 assuming same spec i would go for the XS, as long as FSH is a good one and there is some evidence of bushes etc having being done - my bearings also needed doing (LRDFSH) at 98k having not been touched since new

and what kind of an AC system allows you to have the heater blowing full heat and the AC full cold? :blink::blink:

The best kind; if you want to de-humidify the interior of the car to prevent condensation (or help dry out leaks!) without getting freezing cold or boiling hot. :)

Chris

My 2000 TD5 is currently on 165k, runs sweet, having a few issues at present with a sticky turbo actuator, but apart from that shes a beauty!

As mentioned, service history is very important, mines an ex Environment Agency truck so no expense spared over the years, phoned them up and they sent me a copy of all the work that was ever done to her since birth...!!!

:)

My 110 Td5 has 135k on it and is still sweet !

Gary @ TD5Alive chipped it a month or so ago, said it was running well and all OK !

Pulls much better since he did his magic !

Nic, mine's done 62k, would be interested to know how you feel about the chipping of your TD5. Considering having mine done perhaps.

Right, here is the choice i need to make...

Car 1.

XS 110 DC, tatty bodywork, 108k with an advertised full servies history. Just over my budget, however comes with 6month warrenty.

Is fitted with Snorkle, winch and wheel carrier, as well as seat covers.

5 new tyres (general Grabber AT2)

Car 2

County 110DC, very tidy bodywork, 71k, no service history. Would be able to get under my budget, no warrenty, no bolt on bits, needs 2 new tyres....

I hate decisions!

hmm,

I'd go for the XS, the aircon is a bonus, and I dont find a problem with lack of leg room!

Tatty bodywork? you wont feel as bad when you take her out laning! And bolt on bits can always be sold on to reduce the hole in your pocket!