Aluminium welding kits

Guest deleted

steady on.

It's not impossible, yes you need to do the research and get decent stuff, prep properly, learn the technique etc, but aluminium brazing (and it is brazing, not welding) is not 'one for the fairies'.

See here, it's no TIG, but it IS do-able. Of course, there's always MIG too. :)

Guest diesel_jim
SimonR told me that he had great success with it. Perhaps he will be along later to enlarge on that...

Chris

/shudder/

i now have a mental image of Simon "enlarging" himself.... thanks Chris... :blink::blink::blink:

I bought some and had a play with a blowtorch and some offcuts at home. From what I saw it was a true weld, with a change to the metal structure through the HAZ, much deeper than a surface braze. I was surprised that it works at such low temperatures but from my tests, I was pleased.

For a sunroof, it's not structural so I'd be as happy to try it as to Sikaflex a panel over the hole and honestly, the results would probably be similar.

Guest diesel_jim

Cool, thanks for all the answers guys.

i've just found out that dad's got a brand new kit he bought for his old merc he's doing up, so i can borrow that. :lol:

I've had great success with the two different types on the market.

I first bought some of the AL75 from the Guy at Billing and recently I bought a 1kg pack of HLS2000 rods from the states. Both have done exactly what I wanted them to do.

It is not TIG welding and doesn't have the same type of penetration but it's worth keeping in the armoury for certain jobs, aluminium repairs, rediators, stripped threads etc.

I have been using it to make mock-ups of Hanibal awnings before I send the assembly off for final TIG welding. I can't knock for doing what it does.