V8 Timing Set

Just watched 'A 4x4 is born' the other night and would like to know who sells the variable valve timing set he used.

I know he used a Kent cam kit but dont know if they produced the timing gear set?

Anyone know?

...make it adjustable and they will adjust it wrong -- look what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver.

Colin Chapman

Try Real Steel, but I'm reminded of the vernier timing set fitted to Nige's V8 which is welded up - he asked Mr Eales why it was welded in place and the response was "To stop people like you fiddling with it" :hysterical:

I guess you will end up using the zero degrees with reference to the crankshaft rather than have the cam off set by +/- up to 3 degrees ................. any more than that and you will start to run into 'issues'

I have considered this carefully in the past from both the technical and practical standpoint ................. it didn’t take me long to reach the conclusion that for our off road type use that the standard cam timing way superior in lots of ways . You could advance the cam to give you a bit more low down torque but then lose it at the top end ............ or retard the cam and get all the torque / power in the higher rev band, but you lose out at the bottom end..............

The real gains are to be made at the top end when the engine has been extensively modified.

I decided that the adjustable timing sets were of much more use the circuit and strip racing guys when you tend to hit the rpm 'sweet spot' and stay there..................

I would go for the cloyes timing set................ as well as zero timing, it has offset keyways if you want +4 or -4 (remeber the cam turns at half engine speed so that equates to camshaft +/- 2 degrees.

There is more info about dialling in the cam in my engine build (tech archive).

If you want a head ache then look here............http://www.compcams.com/technical/TimingTutorial/

Cloyes..................http://www.cloyes.com/HighPerformance/Perf...US/Default.aspx

:)

Ian

Try Real Steel, but I'm reminded of the vernier timing set fitted to Nige's V8 which is welded up - he asked Mr Eales why it was welded in place and the response was "To stop people like you fiddling with it" :hysterical:

Tis true :rofl: every word

And for the right reasons.:)

Unless you have something very very exotic - why on earth do you want this (unneeded) complexity ?

Nige