crimping steel wire

I have a need to make a loop in the end of a thin piece of steel wire (about 3-4mm diameter) which needs to be secure. I know that people use steel wire for branch protection on their landies, so was wondering how it is normally secured. I know that I can get connectors that you bolt together, but this needs to be thief resistant, and I have seen other steel wires crimped together. Does anybody know how this is done, or where I can have it done?

Cheers,

TM.

I have a need to make a loop in the end of a thin piece of steel wire (about 3-4mm diameter) which needs to be secure. I know that people use steel wire for branch protection on their landies, so was wondering how it is normally secured. I know that I can get connectors that you bolt together, but this needs to be thief resistant, and I have seen other steel wires crimped together. Does anybody know how this is done, or where I can have it done?

Cheers,

TM.

Go to a rigging company, either one that supplies industrial kit for working aloft or to a marine rigger that supply yachts.

Here's an example with swaged terminals at the bottom of the page - http://www.southernrigging.co.uk/

John

Depends on what you want to use it for.......proper crimping and swaging as per the stuff used on boats etc is done with a hydraulic press to get a nice tight fit - try www.racing sailboats.co.uk for a good decent mail order service.

Can you splice ? If so, this is possible (although a pain) if you are using thin steel cable. There is another way that we kindof undo the cable a bit, and resplice a loop - sorry difficult to explain.

Stick a pair of bulldog clips on just to be sure :)

This is a bulldog, when fitting, "never saddle a dead horse" :

commercial-bull-dog-grips.jpg

If you're using it for a purpose that will have some strain on it, then get it done properly. I know at work, we just order in various size slings (from 3mm right up to 75mm in diameter)

G

Thanks for all the replies - I want it to help me secure a couple of guns into the back of my car. I'm very careful about security, but the consequences if one got stolen don't bear thinking about, so I was looking to sort out a better way of sorting security. I thought that a piece of steel wire crimped around something strong in the back of my car, and then padlocked to the trigger guard would see me right.

something I am also interested in, as I want a way of securing the barrel and action of a shogun to the seatbelt mounting points when I am not in the car.

Was planning to weld mine, unless someone else comes up with something.

Then in reality you shouldn't be carrying firearms in your car!

Well, as it happens there is no requirement for me to have extra security fitted to my vehicle. The Home Office is quite happy that the locked boot of a saloon car (ie one without a parcel shelf covering the load space) is a safe enough place to temporarily store shotguns or firearms whilst they are in transit or while the vehicle is unattended for short periods of time. All I wish to do is further increase the safety of carrying guns in the car without adversely effecting the value of the vehicle by drilling the floor to mount a safe.

So, to use a wire rope that is fixed to the seatbelt mounting bolts (which has a large torx head tightened to high torque) will further increase the security of the guns while I am not in the car.

In reality, the Chief Of Police for Lincolnshire has deemed me suitable to possess, carry and use shotguns in accordance with the law, which is what I am doing.

Yellow pages and look for rigging supplies, crane type people in your area.

I want a crimp on a winch cable, went to local crane suppliers and lads in workshop did me a crimp FOC and did not even want some beer money!

• 1 month later...