BOTTOM PULLEY BOLT

PEASEY

Im having trouble tightening my bottom pullet bolt after changing my cam belt,i have tried putting it in gear diff lock handbrake on/off and with someone standing on the brakes but the engine just turns over as if its in neutral reguardless of the gear position without moving the car,which is confusing me a great deal.with the engine running all gears high and low work including diff lock.is there any way of locking the engine and before you say i have tried the screw driver in the bell housing method but i cant get it tight enough without the screw driver sliping out any ideas are all greatfully recived,oh and just so you all know its a 300 tdi auto.can anyone explain why it doesnt move when the engine is rotated whilst in gear?

ah well that explains it then,panic over someone on another forum has said theres a pin hole in the fly wheel that will lock it can i get to that through the bell housing drain plug hole or do i have to go through the inspection type hole thats up higher?

thanks for all the replies people i have done it .I made something similar to the correct tool pictured above out of an old c spanner i had kicking around in my alladins cave of useless rubbish and now shes as tight as the day she came out of the factory.As this is my first diesel discovery i must say im really impressed by the engine and all its workings,she starts on the first turn of the engine without waiting for the plugs to time out and is really quite smooth even after being left for a couple of weeks whilst waiting for my diesel pump to arrive.Yes its not as powerfull as my old v8 but im really starting to fall in love with the old diesel power.

thanks for all the replies people i have done it .I made something similar to the correct tool pictured above out of an old c spanner i had kicking around in my alladins cave of useless rubbish and now shes as tight as the day she came out of the factory.As this is my first diesel discovery i must say im really impressed by the engine and all its workings,she starts on the first turn of the engine without waiting for the plugs to time out and is really quite smooth even after being left for a couple of weeks whilst waiting for my diesel pump to arrive.Yes its not as powerfull as my old v8 but im really starting to fall in love with the old diesel power.

not the easiest to torque up but i done mine with a four pound hammer and spanner been on for 16 months not come undone yet

And if it does you will regret it :(

The worst are the guys (often professionals) who don't have the tool so put the pulley on with loctite or similar. The next guy to do the job needs a mega-puller to get the thing off.

• 3 weeks later...