MUD Seat rails

Hi,

I've just installed an aftermarket AC on the passengers foot area and since it takes up quite a lot of space I am wondering wether installing the MUD Seat Rails will help increase feet space by moving the seat up and back. My Defender is a Td5 110, year 2000.

Anybody has installed it? Is it worth it?

Any other solutions for allowing the seats to slide further backwards?

Any tips on this will really help since I would like to avoid buying them (110U$ each pair of rails in the US) to then fin out it does not mak a significant diffrence...

Thanks!

Cheers

SG

I have rails in my 110 and had them in my 90 and at 6'6" they are an essential addon for me. they give about 3" extra seat travel but do lift the seat about an inch which is a bit of a pain for me. Like James said you could make your own but the Mud ones are a nice finish and just fit and are not that expensive imo.

Ben

Thanks Ben,

Does anybody know if there is any problem changing the passenger and driever seats? I mean putting te drivers seat in the passengers side and viceversa.

I want to install the MUD seat rails but since I have an internal roll cage instaled the lever that is used to recline the seats will touch against the roll cage and will not allow me to use that extra 3 inches.

The only (theoretical so far) solution I have found is changing thre drivers and passenger seats between each other and there fore the reclining lever will end up on the inner side of the vehicle, next to the cubby box and will therefore and in theory at least not restirct moving the seats all the way back once I install the mud rails.

Wouldn't just doing a small cut on the frame located behind the front setas alllow to move the seats backwards without the need to install the mUD rails? What is wrong with this reasoning?

Finally, is there any practical modification that would aloow the front seats to recline more (increase the angle of the back support)?

Any advice?

Cheers

Santiago

Finally, is there any practical modification that would aloow the front seats to recline more (increase the angle of the back support)?

Any advice?

Cheers

Santiago

You could go for removing the bulkhead behind the front seats and put one of the bulkhead brace bars in to replace it...

There's nothing to stop you from swapping the seats around to move the position of the backrest adjustment. A friend of mine has done exactly this.

You can cut the raised lip at the back of the seat but it won't give any more adjustment on seat travel. You'll also need to grind out the pressed 'stop' on each seat slider that determines the seat travel and add a blob of weld to the rear of the slider to act as a new stop. This will prevent the seat base from sliding all the way off the back of the frame!

You may find due to the angle of the seat, you'll still need to add spacers under the back of the seat to use the extra travel on the slider.

Alternatively, fit a set of MUD Rails....

Thanks guys.

What i do understand: removing the metal lip behind the seats or lifting the seat rail to clear the metal lip does not imply the seats will move further backwards, I get this

but.....

What I do not understand:

what modification can I make to increase the angle of the back support (the vertical part of the seat, sorry for the clumsy explanation), if any?

I've checked and it seems that the MUD rails will touch against the roll cage support pillars loacted behind the front seats.......carp, it seems I can´t egt what I want (more rear travel on the passengers front seat and more inclination of the back support on both seats), not at least with the roll cage installed and I will not take it off.

:angry:

Any body tried moving the passenger seat a bit more towards the cubby box, like say 1 cmt or 2 cmts?

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Santiago