Which tyres?

It is time to buy a new set of tyres. I currently have a set of BF Goodrich AT (on a defender 110 300 tdi) and they have have lasted well and have never let me down. My question is should I stick with these or try some Colway or Insa Turbo. My current use is split between 50% on road and 50% working on the moors. Many thanks.

BFG ATs are very good tyres but also check out the General Grabber AT2 which is much the same thing but usefully cheaper :)

I run them on my Ranger crewcab and have been very very impressed. I think they are better in mud than the BFG's I had on my Discovery as well, though that could be down to the Ranger's part time 4wd system against the useless "spray mud everywhere and not move anywhere" ETC system on the D2.

BFG ATs are very good tyres but also check out the General Grabber AT2 which is much the same thing but usefully cheaper :)

I have these on both of my defenders. They are superb and quieter on the road than the BFG At's too.

Another vote for the General Grabbers, I've still got some of the original AT's from my old series 3 now on my 90. Brilliant on road and enough grip off road for what I do.

Weirdly though I did get 2 punctures in mine = [

Hi I have a disco 1 but fitted with 235/85/16 I used to have BFG AT which were very good but when I changed them I bought Cooper Discoverer STT which are a MT.

BUT in my experience after about 10,000 miles on these tyres I feel they are as good on the road as the BFG ATs but far better off road and actually better than the BFG ATs in hard on road braking.

This is just my opinion.

They seem to be wearing well too. they look great too

firemannotsam

Hi I have a disco 1 but fitted with 235/85/16 I used to have BFG AT which were very good but when I changed them I bought Cooper Discoverer STT which are a MT.

BUT in my experience after about 10,000 miles on these tyres I feel they are as good on the road as the BFG ATs but far better off road and actually better than the BFG ATs in hard on road braking.

This is just my opinion.

They seem to be wearing well too. they look great too

firemannotsam

Just looked on the Cooper web site at the Discoverer STT's and the strength of them has appealed to me. As I said always had AT's so not had the experience of MT's, how were they for the first 10,000 with regard to road braking and wear?

Hi Yoda, they have worn very well I think (tons of tread left - at least 75%) nice and even have sustained no damage from off road or road driving.

They have rarely started to let go on road unless I have been pushing really hard and even then have been very predictable.

The sidewall is well protected with grip down the sidewall they are a stiff tyre and when I have towed/loaded the car to max (including 500KG of shingle in the boot) they fely very stable and did not flex much or even look like they had much extra weight on them.

Underbraking they have been fine no worse than my BFG AT in the wet and possibly better in the dry. IMHO

they do cost a bit £100ish but I am very happy with them. wont last as long as BFG AT or be as good in the mud as BFG MT but i prefer them to my ATs

It's only a personal opinion but I would buy them again no questions.

Lindley

Hi Yoda, they have worn very well I think (tons of tread left - at least 75%) nice and even have sustained no damage from off road or road driving.

They have rarely started to let go on road unless I have been pushing really hard and even then have been very predictable.

The sidewall is well protected with grip down the sidewall they are a stiff tyre and when I have towed/loaded the car to max (including 500KG of shingle in the boot) they fely very stable and did not flex much or even look like they had much extra weight on them.

Underbraking they have been fine no worse than my BFG AT in the wet and possibly better in the dry. IMHO

they do cost a bit £100ish but I am very happy with them. wont last as long as BFG AT or be as good in the mud as BFG MT but i prefer them to my ATs

It's only a personal opinion but I would buy them again no questions.

Lindley

Many thanks Lindley for the feedback :D