Moving Defender TD5 ECU

DF1

I have just got an extension lead for my ecu to move it from under the seat.

Just wondering if anyone has gone to the trouble of moving fuses,relays etc, from under the seat.

If so is it a mojor undertaking.

In other words a few pointers please.

The best way to get the fuses and relays out from under the seat would be to systematically extend each wire, one at a time maybe, using wire of the same rating (doesn't have to be the same colour) using 'adhesive lined heat shrink' or 'adhesive lined butt connectors with heat shrink' this way you'll create a waterproof connection under the seat and be able to put them on the bulkhead or roof.

Your other option is to get hold of 4 large waterproof connectors, such as the ones for the ECU, with the appropriate crimps and seals, and make up your own extended loom... you could then just plug it in either end and hey presto! :)

I haven't done it myself, but thought a lot about it. I don't do enough off-roading/wading to really justify the expense of those looms, though I would consider making my own... troube is finding a TD5 in a scrap yard is quite hard! I know I can get the crimps and seals, but not sure about the plugs.

Because of the price of the extension looms, I tried just how far up I could move the ECU with the standard loom.

There is sufficient slack to put the ECU and fusebox in the cubbybox, which is not only about 30 cm higher, but also centered, so less of a problem when one side goed into a ditch full of water.

And I needed the room in the seatbox for my oil-tank anyway...

Good thinking...

Also the chances are that when the water is up to your seat you'll be wanting to get out as quickly as possible anyway ;)

You could probably find even more slack by tracing the loom all the way back and taking all the slack out of it back to the seatbox, or re-routing it another way.

• 5 months later...
Because of the price of the extension looms, I tried just how far up I could move the ECU with the standard loom.

There is sufficient slack to put the ECU and fusebox in the cubbybox, which is not only about 30 cm higher, but also centered, so less of a problem when one side goed into a ditch full of water.

any pics?

There was another post about this recently ....link

Sounds like you've done pretty much what I'm about to.

I don't have a cubby box but I'm going to move it all behind the centre seat so I can fit an oil tank for my hydraulic winch under the driver seat.

Is yours for a winch?