Diff lock prob-slipping from high into neutral

Hi Chaps!

I have just read thru 17 pages of diff lock threads and I need some help please!

After my clutch ('89 110) went on Xmas morning on the way home off night shift (should have listened at school!)....

I am ashamed to admit I thoroughly abused my transmission in getting home (3 miles) using the diff lock to get it into gear etc..

luckily, it was 6.30am and foggy, so most normal people were in bed, mid-hangover....

I got the clutch renewed no problem a few days later, after I stopped crying...

But, the diff lever started jumping from 'High' into 'Neutral'...there is no rhyme to when it happens etc and have

been driving around ever since with a bungee hook around the diff lever to keep it back in 'high',

I have just removed transmission tunnel to see what is going on.

I cannot see anything adrift or missing but, there is a LOT of play in the pin in this linkage pictured.

post-4824-1218611177_thumb.jpg

I will see if I can remove the play by putting a bigger pin/bolt in but Is there anything else I can adjust?

Thanks in advance...

Gary

When mine was doing this it was because the bit that goes on the splined shaft was not put on in the middle and when I had it in Hi it was not properly engaged and would pop out under load. I ended up tieing it in place so that I could get home. Once home I put the Tcase into neutral took the linkage shaft off the splined shaft and put the shaft back on in the middle of the splines as it had been put on a couple of splines out and it then worked fine. Hope this makes sense.

Gaza

When mine was doing this it was because the bit that goes on the splined shaft was not put on in the middle and when I had it in Hi it was not properly engaged and would pop out under load. I ended up tieing it in place so that I could get home. Once home I put the Tcase into neutral took the linkage shaft off the splined shaft and put the shaft back on in the middle of the splines as it had been put on a couple of splines out and it then worked fine. Hope this makes sense.

Gaza

Hi Chaps, thanks for the quick replies!

Gaza, is this were you mean? (arrowed)

post-4824-1218621776_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Gary

Hi Weasel_110 :)

Before jumping into mechanical bits are you 100% sure you are putting it into High-box properly? Sorry, I don't know what sort of knowledge level you have and don't mean to offend, but I've seen this a few times when people are not completely au fait with the little gearstick... I even did it myself when was new to Land Rovers :ph34r::rolleyes:

The way to make sure the vehicle is properly in high box... with the engine running and main box in 1st and your foot down on the clutch, pull the Hi/Lo gearstick backwards into Hi box. While still pulling on it, lift the clutch pedal slightly. Hopefully you will feel a good clunk as the box drops into Hi properly. There is absolutely no need to waggle it from side to side in and out of diff lock.

Just a thought that could save you a lot of time and effort ;)

Dan :)

Hi Chaps!

I have just read thru 17 pages of diff lock threads and I need some help please!

After my clutch ('89 110) went on Xmas morning on the way home off night shift (should have listened at school!)....

I am ashamed to admit I thoroughly abused my transmission in getting home (3 miles) using the diff lock to get it into gear etc..

luckily, it was 6.30am and foggy, so most normal people were in bed, mid-hangover....

I got the clutch renewed no problem a few days later, after I stopped crying...

But, the diff lever started jumping from 'High' into 'Neutral'...there is no rhyme to when it happens etc and have

been driving around ever since with a bungee hook around the diff lever to keep it back in 'high',

I have just removed transmission tunnel to see what is going on.

I cannot see anything adrift or missing but, there is a LOT of play in the pin in this linkage pictured.

post-4824-1218611177_thumb.jpg

I will see if I can remove the play by putting a bigger pin/bolt in but Is there anything else I can adjust?

Thanks in advance...

Gary

looks to me like the 2 nylon bushes are missing.

LR part number FRC4499 these fit in the outer rod with the largest face facing in to the rod that sits in the fork end.

hth.

Hi Ralph, I must try and get the EPC working again, I had loads of trouble with it last time!

Yes, one of the bushes was missing, what I did was make a sleeve to fit inside the arm, it was a tight fit to get it in!

It has a 7mm hole for the pin, and has taken up the slack....

Dan, no offence taken mate, I have probably used the diff lock 5 times in the 10 years I have had my 110 (hangs head in shame ).

And I never had the handbook to tell you what does what!

I have had a good look at the linkages etc, and could not find anything obvious apart from the slack.

I then went for a mile run round town after doing as you suggested, and it slipped into neutral 3 times....

I am afraid I did 'break' something internally,when my clutch went at Xmas!

I am having a 200TDi put in at the beginning of September, the guys said they would have a look

and see if they can repair the box or failing that, fit a replacement.

I must say, this is THE LR forum on the web-Bloody Great!

Thanks

Gary

Hi Chaps, thanks for the quick replies!

Gaza, is this were you mean? (arrowed)

post-4824-1218621776_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Gary

Gary, disconnect the linkage and ensure you get positive engagement hi/neutral/low when you operate the above lever. Chances are with little use it will be very stiff, almost seized, preventing full engagement (Been there wit my 110 and even te 90). Plenty of penetrating oil and operation of the lever should sort it.