Fresh Water Tank for 300TDi 90

I am looking at putting in a 40l/60l/80l water tank which fits across the front of the load bay up against the bulkhead.

Since the bulkhead falls away instead of being simply vertical, it would be useful if the tank were wedge-shaped in cross-section to fill the space at the bottom of the bulkhead which would otherwise be lost with a rectangular cross-section tank.

I am not concerned about ease of filling etc, as it will be part of a whole plumbed in pumped system I have in mind. However, having the weight of water fairly low down in the centre of the vehicle is a concern. I am also keen on the tank being baffled to reduce the weight transfer of water sloshing about off-road.

I seem to remember someone on here was looking at something similar, but don't know whether he/she ever found a supplier.

Can anyone enlighten me ?

PS I am looking for quite a large tank as I have a wife and two daughters. My previous posts concerning the need for electric calculations to support a hair-dryer proved very informative.

Have you tried the usual suspects like Boab? Their site is appalingly badly laid out, but they're very helpful on the phone and do many sizes and shapes.

Another option to consider is to get one custom made, or there's Smiths in the Forest of Dean close to you. I've called in to price up a bio-diesel tank and they were very helpful indeed. They have some nice baffled tanks, but I think they're all regular [cuboid] shaped.

Have you tried the usual suspects like Boab? Their site is appalingly badly laid out, but they're very helpful on the phone and do many sizes and shapes.

Another option to consider is to get one custom made, or there's Smiths in the Forest of Dean close to you. I've called in to price up a bio-diesel tank and they were very helpful indeed. They have some nice baffled tanks, but I think they're all regular [cuboid] shaped.

Thanks Chris. BOAB are also quite near me so a visit to them it is.

$c0rp10n Racing sell this -

50lwt.jpg

50l INTERIOR WATER TANK

Made from durable plastic and fits into every car with a bulkhead.

As they probably don't make it themselves, or have it made exclusively for them, it'll be available from the manufacturer or another supplier at a significantly lower price.

Paul.

There was an Italian company manufacturing some pretty trick looking Defender plastic water tanks that fitted exactly between the rear arches - think I read a short write up on it in LRO or LRM a few months back.

Don't think they had a UK distributor at the time though.

Have a look at some of the marine chandlers as plastic water tanks are pretty common for boats and there are loads of shapes and sizes available of the shelf.

Richard

I have to sell an unused Allisport made water tank that fits across the rear load area.

Dimensions are 90x28x18 (width/depth/height).

It has a screw top filler and two 12mm outlet pipes in the top for use with a pump.

I realize this will not between the bulkhead and seats but it dies fit snugly in the rear and can be secured by ratchet straps to appropriate securing eyes such as cargo rail.

Let me know if you are interested.

I can get it to the LRO 4X4 Fest at Peterborough on the 13/14 Sept if that helps.

John

$c0rp10n Racing sell this -

50lwt.jpg

50l INTERIOR WATER TANK

Made from durable plastic and fits into every car with a bulkhead.

As they probably don't make it themselves, or have it made exclusively for them, it'll be available from the manufacturer or another supplier at a significantly lower price.

Paul.

These are made by Frontrunner in South Africa - Product Code FR874 price inc VAT in SA R965 - £69 in our money. Scrapiron will want 2 to 3 times that I suspect!

European importer - www.lpi.be contact is Rudi though I suspect they are a wholesaler. Ask them who will give the best price in Europe, suggest if you wish that you don't want to purchase from Scrapiron for whatever reason, but that's up to you, I personally will never purchase from them.

John

Good link headhunter -

if you bimble about through the website it looks like they have a retail shop, with the water tank here:

http://trekk4x4adventure.com/shop/index.php?cPath=23_1595

You need to login in to buy anything - amusingly, for people like me, the Belgian invitation for this is Welkom u kunt, hier inloggen. :rolleyes: snigger snigger