TD4 Crankcase Filter

rustymark

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Oddly enough came across this thread whilst researchig the breather problem for my 3 series beemer.

Can confirm that the new breather is of a far better design and well worth fitting, shouldn't ever clog up again.

Another very common problem with 320d and 330d BMW engines is the EGR getting totally gunked with sooty deposits- might be worth checking on TD4 if its not a known problem already.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Am new here. Forgive the blatant self-promotion, but one of our customers told me about the breather for his BMW that is also fitted to LandRovers.

A quick search on Google lead me here !

I thought I would offer the breather part # 11127799224 at a discounted price... that way both you and I profit !

So if you need one the price is £40.42 which is 10% off AND we'll post it for FREE !

I have put these on ebay and mentioned this site: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200438014177&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Please only use this filter if you know it is OK to do so - We are not Land Rover people !

Thanks for listening !

ok as promised photos of old landrover part and new bmw modification - along with part numbers. approx cost £36 brand new - about the same as the filter alone - kit comes with all new rubber seals.

Please note this is NOT a Landrover dealer part - it is the same part as fitted to the same engine in 3 series BMWs!

And... its oily as i wanted to make sure it worked fine BEFORE i posted and you all rush out, buy it, fit it and then go bang and blame me!

Hi

Have you another photos from top?

You means that the usual td4 filter can be directly replaced by this one? And after that you can put back the cover engine?

Thanks

Last weekend I did a test with the old installed filter. It was removed and cleaned with a specific gel. It was totally covered by oil!! The enclosure and the rubber gasket were was also clean. Then, after dry all parts I reinstall all back. I realize some strange noise when turbo starts to run, like a leakage pressure. I removed again everything and I noticed a problem in the gasket. Because I hadn't new gaskets, I decided to put a special insulation product, together with the old gasket, like a high temperatures red silicone that normally is used in this kind of works. Know it it OK and the behavior of the engine is more silent and has a better response. I noticed that the breather filter case has only four screws that if my opinion in not sufficient when new gaskets are not available.

I will run some kilometers and I will see the results. After that I'm thinking to change for the BMW part.

Just one question, the BMW breather filter has a filter itself or it some different thing? How can it breathe and separate the oil?

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone.

You don't need to buy the full part at £42.00.

I bought the cyclone part yesterday at Williams BMW in Manchester. Cost of £21.60.

Part no. B11.12.7.799.367.

Came with cyclone part, o ring for bottom of cyclone, and two new seals for unit.

Fitted last night. Easy enough job. just replaces old filter.

This is the same price as the sponge filter. No contest.

Independant BMW mechanic who was in parts dept. said this is the only bit they fit.

Hope this helps.

hello i am thinking of fitting this part will it fit vin number SALLNABE15A454363 as i dont no much about landys my first one m0say

hi i have now fitted the conversion and there is no modes to do just replace old for new fits great it is a easy job so have a go i dont no any thing about land rovers but thought why not have agon so i did dave.

Hi everyone.

You don't need to buy the full part at £42.00.

I bought the cyclone part yesterday at Williams BMW in Manchester. Cost of £21.60.

Part no. B11.12.7.799.367.

Came with cyclone part, o ring for bottom of cyclone, and two new seals for unit.

Fitted last night. Easy enough job. just replaces old filter.

This is the same price as the sponge filter. No contest.

Independant BMW mechanic who was in parts dept. said this is the only bit they fit.

Hope this helps.

hi you have to buy the full kit as it will not fit

:blink:

Crankcase filter was due for a change on my TD4 so i thought better do it as doubt it had ever been changed in its life.

Shopped around for a bit and it turns out that BMW are aware failure of the filter ( ie blocked) will cause pressurisation in the engine and blow oil through turbo / back up dipstick tube.

They have produced a modified filter housing. I will post some pics on here. Fitted the mod kit tonight and it works a charm - it no longer has the filter but has a plastic insert with what looks like 2 cones in it. Weird but effective - there is nothing to block so no problems!

hi i have just fitted the new filter do you no the life of this new filter ie any miles years before a renew thanks dave

:blink:

Crankcase filter was due for a change on my TD4 so i thought better do it as doubt it had ever been changed in its life.

Shopped around for a bit and it turns out that BMW are aware failure of the filter ( ie blocked) will cause pressurisation in the engine and blow oil through turbo / back up dipstick tube.

They have produced a modified filter housing. I will post some pics on here. Fitted the mod kit tonight and it works a charm - it no longer has the filter but has a plastic insert with what looks like 2 cones in it. Weird but effective - there is nothing to block so no problems!

i have bought and fitted the new one but in the old one there is a rubber oring and in the new one there is not is this how it should be please help dave

Dave

If you have bought just the cyclone filter from BMW to replace the sponge filter, then there should be one O ring and two seals with tabs on for the housing.

Should be the same for the complete unit as well.

Paul

Dave

If you have bought just the cyclone filter from BMW to replace the sponge filter, then there should be one O ring and two seals with tabs on for the housing.

Should be the same for the complete unit as well.

Paul

yes your right paul thanks,any idears how long the new cyclone lasts thanks dave

yes your right paul thanks,any idears how long the new cyclone lasts thanks dave

According to what I can find out, for ever!

Still worth a check though.

Looks like it can be took apart, so when i've got the courage, may split it to find out.

Could be that it could be cleaned with carb cleaner or WD, so theoretically it ould last for ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow

Been a couple of years (nearly) since i started this thread.

never thought 10500 hits would be possible - thats a lot of TD4 owners!

how has everyones TD4 been since changing? Mines still behaving itself and doing as it should.

Mark

I have a 2002 TD4 commercial 115k miles. Did the mod a couple of weeks ago along with cleaning the EGR. I can report a lot smoother engine and better MPG, got almost 40mpg out of it the last tankfull!!

The only thing I had to do to fit the filter was to file a new groove in it as there is a plastic location tab in a different place in the engine. 2min job.

I can also reccomend Broad Oak via the Ebay link above. Ordered it late Sunday night - arrived Tuesday morning!

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Glad you are pleased with the service. We are selling quite a few of these.

Makes me wonder what else is the same....! As I said originally, we are not Landie delaers so I need you guys to tell me what BMW parts you want for your TD4 ! And we will do you a deal :)

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello people,

Because of this forum and others. Yesterday I've changed the crankcase filter for the BMW Filter. I share some pics with you:

frh_820103_images_6076_17141135000000_13459534534161_loc.jpg First take a Freelander.

frh_420104_images_5075_17135251000000_1530158063857_loc.jpg frh_320105_images_4072_17135448000000_8737563850619_loc.jpgfrh_620104_images_5072_17135543000000_14604933207706_loc.jpgThis is the BMW part with number 11127799224. Around euro 40,--. Sorry I'm Dutch

frh_320100_images_6079_17135657000000_13116219629865_loc.jpg

frh_620106_images_1075_17135802000000_2290101314481_loc.jpg

frh_820100_images_6076_17135959000000_11179452237455_loc.jpg

frh_520106_images_1073_17140108000000_13201908893527_loc.jpg This is how the Land Rover Filter looked. I drove about 60.000km with it, but I don't know if it was changed before. The car is from 2005, I have it sinds 2008 and drove 60.000km with it.

frh_120101_images_5073_17140315000000_437739090803_loc.jpg

frh_820103_images_6076_17141135000000_13459534534161_loc.jpg

The diffrence between the Land Rover filter and the BMW filter.

frh_520107_images_0078_17140620000000_6404161018792_loc.jpg frh_920101_images_9078_17140701000000_16372852784531_loc.jpg It was not neccessary to make an adjustment to place the filter in my 2005 Td4.

• 2 months later...