RR/Disco springs on a 110

I imagine this has been discussed before but here goes.

I need to soften the bone shattering ride the 110 as it has heavy duty springs on. The vehicle doesn't go off road and is used tarmac only and I'm not fussed about body roll so can I fit softer springs and which ones should I use please. The softer the better as it's loosening all me teeth :)

as above - 90 and 110 springs are a different diameter...

Gen 110 HD spring are rated at 225 front 330lb rear

standards are rated at 155 front 270 rear

or there are some softer rear ones for use with a load leveler at 180lb - same rate a a rangie part no NRC6388 & NRC7000.

Standard springs with soft bushes should be ok though I would have thought?

Guest diesel_jim

What muddy machines meant to type, was that 110 rear springs are a physically bigger diameter than 90/rangie/disco/110-fronts, so wont go fit in (unless you want to cut and re-weld a 90 top spring mount on!)

There was a thread on here in the last week asking a very similar question, I posted the answer that the softest 110 rear spring you'll get would be one that was fitted with the boge self leveller.

if you fitted these (without the leveller) it would be soft, although possibly quite wallowy.

my Td5 110 CSW had the purple springs on (standard 110 rears) and it was fine.... OK, it wasn't a "range rover" in comfort;

but then it wasn't a rangerover... it was a 110, so you must expect 110 characteristics.

Looks like standard ones then when I can get em off to swap somebody.

Thanks for replies , very helpful :)

Err, just to clarify and expand on what has been said...

The front springs on the 110 are the same diameter as any of the other models front and rear springs, so you can choose from a wide variety of specs and lengths.

The rear 110/127/130 springs are larger diameter and not interchangeable with any spring from any other Land Rover model.

There are only 3 standard Land Rover springs for the rear of the 110/127/130 (To get extra heavy duty, Land Rover fit narrow 'helper' springs within the existing rear springs).

a.) NRC 6388 and NRC7000 = 180 Lbs/inch for use with a load leveller (note these are way too soft if you have no leveller because they can barely support the body without one - any load causes the rear end to sag badly).

b.) NRC 6904 and NRC 6389 = 330 lb/inch - Standard fitment on all truck cabs, hardtops and those models without a load leveller (often referred to as 'Heavy duty').

c.) RKB 101111 = 270/420 lbs/inch. These are the later 'progressive' springs fitted to the TD5s and have a dual rate. In reality they have a similar ride to the earlier 330 lb springs.

Note 1: Standard 110 front springs NRC 8044 and NRC 8045 are also progressive - 115/215 lb/inch. The first few coils are closed at ride height, so their actual 'feel' on the road is similar to around 200+ lb/inch spring.

Note 2: Up until sometime in the production of the 300 tdi, 110s had left and right rear springs, hence 2 part numbers for each set of springs above. Later 110s have the same numbered spring on both sides. If you want the 110 to sit level left to right (side to side). use the same spring number on both sides. e.g 2x NRC 8045 at the front and 2x RKB 101111 at the rear.

Note 3: All genuine/standard 110 spring combinations make the rear higher than the front. The only 'level' 110 is one fitted with 180 lb/inch springs and a load leveller.

110 heavy duty front springs are the same as standard 90 rear springs - NRC 9448 and NRC 9449 = 225 lb/inch.

Are your springs genuine? Aftermarket springs can be VERY heavy duty. If you don't know what your current springs are, it will be hard to choose a softer combination. If they have coloured stripes, they may tally with the genuine colour codes and you will be able to work out their spring rate. See here:

http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html

Another cause of hard ride is tyres. What pressures are you running?

Regards,

Diff

FWIW, I am running what I assume to be the original 'load leveller' springs (cut my load leveller off during rebuild) with Monroe gas shocks and keeping the standard anti-roll bar. Similar to you, I use on road and rarely have a significant load in the back (unless the wife packs the car :lol:). I am really pleased with the ride and cornering is great (for a wardrobe on wheels).

Vehicle does sit level.

Oh - running alloy wheels with 31 x 10.5 x 15 tyres.

The only Defender I have seen with a (non-functioning) Boge leveller sat right down at the back even with no load in and was very nasty to drive. But maybe the trip through Africa had done the springs in a bit. We fitted the purple coded TD5 rears and the owner was very happy.

btw how do you pronounce this word Boge? Is it like judge, or like Bogey?

Boge is AFAIK German, so try in africaans... :)

Na, in Afrikaans it would be bo-oge where the o is a diphthong and the g is the Dutch version, rather like the ch in loch. Unfortunately I can't find a phonetic font on the forum.

My German is so rusty that I wouldn't know. I tend to pronounce it bow~je as above. But I have heard 'boggy' or 'bogey'.

This is why I fit Monroe shocks :)

http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html

Another cause of hard ride is tyres. What pressures are you running?

Regards,

Diff

Superb information, thank you :)

Tried 30 psi but a little hard so dropped to 25 but been off the road since I changed them 3 weeks ago.

Should have the seat box finished tomorrow and the T/Box back in by Friday, then only the front diff, a swivel bearing and swivel seals to do, Oh and bodge the bulkhead up for a while (I'll fit a new one next year) Then back on road and next job is the exhaust.

Not bad for a landy that was suppose to be one of the best in the north west, I've not done a thousand miles in it since buying and have been towed home twice :angry:

Guest diesel_jim
The only Defender I have seen with a (non-functioning) Boge leveller sat right down at the back even with no load in and was very nasty to drive. But maybe the trip through Africa had done the springs in a bit. We fitted the purple coded TD5 rears and the owner was very happy.

btw how do you pronounce this word Boge? Is it like judge, or like Bogey?

Try saying vogue (As in, the range rover vogue), then change the V for a B (pretend you're Spanish!)