EGR removal / blanking mod

Guest DiscoTD4

Guest DiscoTD4

Hi, been reading some interesting posts regarding the benefit of removing and blanking off the EGR valve and was wondering if the same effect (eg, disabling it) could be achieved by simply removing the vacuum connection to the EGR diaphragm - or are there other reasons for removing the EGR ?

Cheers

Hi, been reading some interesting posts regarding the benefit of removing and blanking off the EGR valve and was wondering if the same effect (eg, disabling it) could be achieved by simply removing the vacuum connection to the EGR diaphragm - or are there other reasons for removing the EGR ?

Cheers

Hi there I have done the mod but I was speaking to a bloke from land rover and all they do is disconnect it he said it does the same job without the cost of the blanking off kit. :D:D

my egr blanking plate is the origional fitting on the end of the braided pipe welded up and then bolted it onto the manifold. using the origional pipe too, just turned it the other way, smotherd a 2p in gue and hammerd that in there. proseded to put the other plate from the braided pipe onto that. there is no need to remeove it all but it does neaten evereything up and frees alot of space. the perfect bodge :lol:

Guest DiscoTD4
Yes ... correct ... as long as the EGR valve is not already jammed open!

ahhh - I suspected there would be a sound reason why removal is the way to go !

cheers

Guest DiscoTD4
Blanking plates can be bought on Ebay for a couple of quid, which is less than you'd sell the EGR bits for once you've removed them...

Sounds like a win - win situation :)

Cheers

Hi There,

My EGR was disabled by removing the vaccum pipe. But I decided to fit a blanking plate between the valve and the inlet pipe.

This was easier than removing the rusty bolts, and risking damaging something. I made a blanking plate out of a scrap of metal, done by copying the gasket, but without the big hole in the middle. This guarantees the lack of flow of "Marmite" into the inlet. But it still relys on the EGR not falling to bits. If it does it would vent exhaust gasses into the engine compartment. This is not a great risk, and it wont gum up the engine in the event of failure.

10 Minute task, no cost!

Guest DiscoTD4
Hi There,

My EGR was disabled by removing the vaccum pipe. But I decided to fit a blanking plate between the valve and the inlet pipe.

This was easier than removing the rusty bolts, and risking damaging something. I made a blanking plate out of a scrap of metal, done by copying the gasket, but without the big hole in the middle. This guarantees the lack of flow of "Marmite" into the inlet. But it still relys on the EGR not falling to bits. If it does it would vent exhaust gasses into the engine compartment. This is not a great risk, and it wont gum up the engine in the event of failure.

10 Minute task, no cost!

sounds like a good compromise, I've had plenty of experience of rusty bolts that shear off :(

• 2 weeks later...
sounds like a good compromise, I've had plenty of experience of rusty bolts that shear off :(

Hi all,

I removed the EGR from my 96 300 TDI auto but i sprayed the bolts daily for about a week with WD40 and when i came to do the job they came out ok. I bought a blanking kit including top hose etc.. from e-bay and all was fine. I am not sure i can see or feel any benefit but i was persuaded by others that this was one of the things to do in order to ensure better performance etc..

I have changed (de-cat) the front exhaust pipe and this made a massive difference to the performance and running, i am waiting for an upgraded intercooler and when i fit that then i dont think there is much more i can do to improve torque for towing purposes as its a "fly by wire" system.

Maybe i could put in a performance filter but i am not convinved it would add a great deal?

Any one else got any more performance suggestions to inprove torque etc.. for towing purposes?

Andy

Increase the size of the inlet pipe to the filter and feed it with clean, cold air. Derestrict the exhaust as above by using one straight thru box and no cat but keep pipe size the same. This will increase power by introducing cold dense air in and allowing an unrestricted path out.

Worked for me and fuel consumption is better.