Whats inside the catalytic converter

Guest DiscoTD4

Guest DiscoTD4

Hi - seems quite a few people have successfully removed the cat with positive results.

Has anyone performed major surgery on the cat after de-cating, I'm interested to see what's actually inside these things.

Cheers

^^^ thats all you need to know... i can get £150 a cat round here....

jeeeees thats a good price :o

i was only getting around 30 for a standard one

i also got ripped off with a cat i got from work out of a pertrol vapour recorvy unit that stood 800mm tall 300 in the centre and got just 70 for that one :(:(:(

o an my neighbour watched some pikies nick thelast one i had off my driveway!! :angry:

think ill pop over and see you next time u got my hands on one

Dougie

thank's for taking the time to upload the photo's. amazing

it looks like some sort of mesh - I'm not surprised de-cating makes a difference, blimey :o

It's indeed some sort of mesh, to increase the active surface. Each cat held 2 blocks, on the left side one was broken up, causing the airflow to be reduced significantly which caused the cat to overheat and the insulation to catch fire!

You can see in the pictures the bottom right one is also badly cracked, I'm sure it wouldn't have laste duch longer.

I have blanked the egr valve and thought about putting a d cat pipe on my disco but wondering will it still go through a mot or not.

There is no requirement for a Cat on a diesel in the MOT. as long as it passes the smoke test it will be fine. Mines been tested twice since I changed mine passed both times no problems.

Pete,

who do u sell the cats to
you can sell to any reputable scrap metal or precious metal merchant. I got £50 for a fairly small one off a pug 406 the other week and £150/ton for the car and rubbish thrown in it! Bloke looked in the cat, cos apparantly the pikeys can remove the platinum and inside...haha

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the "Cat" for TDi's is a catalytic converter like found on petrol engines.

It is called a particulate filter which I believe is just fine mesh that traps the soot from burnt diesel.

Removing this makes the engine breath freer.

I had the particulate filter removed and have just had the rear box removed as it was rusting out the back from the exhaust on my 300TDi. Not much extra noise. Just running the standard centre box.

Adrian

I don't think the "Cat" for TDi's is a catalytic converter like found on petrol engines.

It is called a particulate filter which I believe is just fine mesh that traps the soot from burnt diesel.

I had the particulate filter removed and have just had the rear box removed as it was rusting out the back from the exhaust on my 300TDi. Not much extra noise. Just running the standard centre box.

Adrian

I know what was in my 300 TDI auto version and that was a lot of black stuff that prevented my Disco from perfroming whislt towing etc.. - I ordered a straight through down pipe from ATS (probably not the cheapest way of doing it) but they would not fit customer parts anyway. The Disco now performs very well and being an auto does not tend to cut into overdrive so quickly - it seems much smoother and quieter! no more black smoke on kick down either.

Regards

Andy

Guest DiscoTD4

Adrian

Interesting point, the workshop manual refer to this as a cat and also the service schedule refer to replacing the cat at 10 years, so are we saying it's not a cat but a PDF ?

I'm confused now :unsure:

Regards

NO! - its a single stage catalytic converter - Particulate filters were for commercial use only when the 300 TDi came out due to the size, complexity and cost of the things. The only reliable set-up to date on a car sized vehicle is the one used by Pugeot - it needs stuff like a fuel injector which actually sets the insides on fire to burn off the soot every now and then (simplisticaly put) - NOT something which is fitted to ANY LR.

You have a Cat, full stop.