DAKAR

headhunter

Just received this email from the european suppliers of TGV International engines who supplied and sponsored a team in the DAKAR

John

THEY MADE IT

RAOUL AND JEAN PIERRE JACOBS

FIRST IN T1 DIESEL

WITH THE 2.8 TGV

CONGRATULATIONS

Le Dakar is finished and the 2.8 performed great.

Finished first in the T1 diesel ranking, ( T1 is the amateur class)

and 32nd overall. (out of 240 )

We are happy they made it and impressed that our engine could compete with the big V8’s, TD5, TD6 and so on.

Many pictures on the websites www.dakar2006.nl (sorry, only Dutch) and www.landrovermotor.com (both English and Dutch)

Regards

Johan Ipenburg

Just received this email from the european suppliers of TGV International engines

While I got this today from Stephen Cahill via the m-list...

Hello all

Thought I would pass on this information.Beside the site mentioned below

there are torrents of the race in English on the net. Search

torrentbox.comfor Dakar to find them.

Begin quote

The Dakar rally is finished today.

The 2.8TGV Bowler ended FIRST in the amateur diesel class !!!

and 32nd overall.

Although a Dutch website, you can find many, many pictures of the

Bowler in action on www.dakar2006.nl

For us also it was an experiment how the 2.8 would perform and do in

the toughest rally of the world. Now, we can say this engine did

great. Also remember the engine was tuned to 170 Hp and 420 NM without

giving any problems for almost 10.000 km in though conditions. Believe

me, the drivers didn't treat the engine in a gentle way.

End quote

Happy dieseling

--

Stephen Cahill

well... the Dutch text says in the first lines:

"This is the day I have been dreaming of for years. we gather with a 60-odd remaining rally cars and are standing - with a new clutch - in a row on top of a dune, watching the motorcycles start."

Guess they just kept on changing clutches...

To their surprise they won though. They say that they did not know until their names were announced ad T1-Diesel class winners, and 3rd in rookie of the year...

well... the Dutch text says in the first lines:

"This is the day I have been dreaming of for years. we gather with a 60-odd remaining rally cars and are standing - with a new clutch - in a row on top of a dune, watching the motorcycles start."

Guess they just kept on changing clutches...

To their surprise they won though. They say that they did not know until their names were announced ad T1-Diesel class winners, and 3rd in rookie of the year...

You have to say fair play lads that is a monster of a rally

I read the dutch story on a daily basis and they did have problems with the clutch. one day they started without a functining clutch and drove like this through the dunes as well, getting stuck very badly. The clutchplate got bend and could not disengage. Wonder what that startermotor looked like...

Just before the finish of this stage it was the gearbox which gave up i think. they got a tow from a truck to the service park.

Later they lost drive again which was the clutch once again.

It seems the landrover transmission isnt really designed for a tuned TGV.

Daan

How would a V8 ZF auto box cope with one of these engines? No clutch problems or would it cause the next weakest component to break? I have read on one of the websites that this engine is good to replace a V8 auto as it has the low down torque to work the gearbox well, is this true or would the 300tdi auto box work better?

It seems the landrover transmission isnt really designed for a tuned TGV.

Daan

In a word, NO! :D Fridge was quite right, an R380 has to be well sorted to last long behind any TGV let alone a tuned one. You really need a TVR spec R380 with a paddle clutch.

As far as autoboxes go, I wouldn't run a TGV behind a standard ZF4 if you're going to tune it or use it hard off road; your VERY close to the design limits of the box. Making an autobox reliable with the torque figures involed isn't easy either; a tuned TGV should push out over 350lb/ft of torque. I run a Tdi ZF4 that's been slightly breathed on by Ashcroft transmissions ;) The V8 autoboxes can be made to go behind TGVs but I don't see the point; its not really any cheaper and not all V8 boxes are the same (a 3.5 box is best to get the shift points right).

andy at allisport tuned that car and provided a intercooler all that power was produced with a 38mm restritor

i went to the dakar first two stages and cheared the boys on

i have the same engine in my landy which we won our class in the rfc last year the landy has done 1200 miles since install of the enigine and it has more P & T than the bowler as for the gear box ashcroft will be building a auto for it as the R380 is not up to the job at all