Help!

I have a 1987 90 with a factory fitted V8 running SU carbs, it also has a single point LPG conversion. Yesterday, it decided to play up. It idles fine and runs not too bad with part throttle but as soon as you put your foot down it sputters and struggles to gain speed. I think it may well be a petrol starvation problem as it runs fine on LPG.

I understand the float in the carb can be the source of many a problem, especially when the car has been converted to LPG. I have an idea that my problem may be to do with float pivot partially seizing, the needle valve not opening fully leading to fuel starvation? BUT it revs clean and freely when the car is stationary?

Any help much appreciated,

Mark

Mark, I've had exactly the same problem, albeit on a 1989 110, but with exactly the same engine set up as yours. To resolve it I have had the fuel pump replaced, it came back today and runs like a swiss watch now. Before it had the new pump it would sputter in 2nd/3rd/4th at around 3000 revs, definitely not getting enough fuel. It ran perfectly well on LPG the whole time. the new pump cost £131.........plus fitting.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Graham.

If it's the fuel pump it would make sense, as I see little reason why it would be the float jamming as I always switch the fuel to Petrol before turning the engine off, so while the vehicle's not in use the float is bathed in petrol.

I suppose I could try a new fuel filter as I have a new one somewhere and it hasn't been changed since I've had the 90 - about a year (naughty, I know!).

Anyone fitted a pump other than the standard LR one?

Cheers.

Haha, I have many of those places too ;)

Just been out to do the fuel filter, looked simple enough, got the old one off, changed filter and o rings. Went to put it back together, started the bolt off by hand, went to tighten with ratchet and it just keep spinning! Took it off and it looksl ike the thread is f*cked!! Why is it a simple job always turns into a b*stard???

Looks like I wont be able to get a new housing until Monday at the earliest - unless I come up with a cunning bodge, the 90 will be stranded all weekend!!! :(

Will keep you updated Nige as to whether I need the pump...

You could always run it on gas as long as you keep the engine warmed up every four hours. I normally stay on gas for most the day and mine is a single point bigas unit. As for the botch job you could attach a temporary rubber hose with some clips and tape to prevent leaks for that short period. Plus make sure your tank fairly full too stop dregs. Funny enough when I had my previous mot last year. My engine was left running for the emissions test which resulted coking up the engine spark plugs. As I gleefully drove the home the first approach uphill was a struggle. I went back to complain and they kindly cleaned my spark plugs. Like you I start up and finish on petrol.

LR 110 V8 SW 1988 PETROL / LPG and no problems yet :blink::unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Cheers Oakesy, that's exactly what I did - got me where I needed to be today and hopefully tomorrow! ;) Also rules out this problem being down to a blocked filter as of course it was running with no filter!

The problem is still there so looks like the pump is the culprit (hopefully!).

Nige, I'll pm you about your pump.

Is there anything else I'll need? I'm guessing a seal/gasket at the very least???

Mark

Found it :lol::)

Is this what your after ?

the bottom half of the pump unut, I even cut the old wires off and left a bit so you know which uis + vs - :)

post-22-1220965360_thumb.jpg

to fit to your 2 x small bolts hold the zinc plate top and bottom halfs together, and the rubber tube shoved back on the steel top tube and connect the red and black wires to the top part onto the pump which has little nuts on threads

:)

I'll PM you with paypal details etc

Nige

Got round to doing the fuel filter housing and pump from Nige at the weekend - cars seems fine now. Big thank you to all that posted replies and to Nige for supplying the pump quickly.

Before I posted on here, I was planning on taking the carbs off for inspection so this forum has saved me a lot of grief! Super stuff!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, our help is needed again!

Ok, the original problem returned a few weeks ago, after cleaning up the contacts on the top of the pump all was well until yesterday...

Because that helped I guessed it was a bad connection somewhere so today I took the pump out and cleaned the connections under the pump base - no good. I also traced the earth wire back to the engine bay and cleaned the body earth point - still no good. I'm a bit of a muppet when it comes to electronics so now I'm stuck, one other thing I did do is measure the voltage at the pump - which was 12.3v, which I assume is ok?

Any ideas what to check next? Or anything else that may be causing this problem?

Many thanks in advance,

a desperate, disappointed, Mildly miffed off Mark!!!

Anybody got any ideas what it could be/what I could check?

What sort of state are the leads and distributor cap in - might be worth replacing them if they're old and worn. I had a Volo that used to do what you describe. That was a mix of the auxillary air valve (which you won't have as your on carbs), possibly fuel pump and the big difference was made with new leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm.

Might be worth a look before going to the garage...

Dizzy Cap, Rotor Arm, Leads, Plugs and Coil all replaced with genuine items in June.

It runs perfectly fine on LPG, so I'm assuming it's got to be a problem with the fuel system?

Before buying the new pump I checked the fuel filter wasn't blocked and buggered the fuel filter housing. While waiting for a new housing I ran the car with a small peice of rubber pipe in place of the filter housing.

Even though it was only for a few days I kept plenty of fuel in the tank to prevent carp from the bottom being sucked up, now I'm wondering if maybe there's a little bit carp somewhere causing a blockage???

What do you guys think???

I just don't get it, the engine 'revs' fine when stationary and when I put the clutch down whilst driving - what could possibly cause it to only 'stutter' when in gear and driving?

The only thing I can think of is that there is a problem with one carb, but if there is a problem with one of the carbs would it rev fine when stationary/with clutch down whilst in motion????

^^^^

Wot fridge says.

Forget the "Its only under load" bit

UNLESS you have BP6RES NGKs, GENUINE LR PARTS Cap rotor arm and leads high and low tension then your in the land of the "Lucky Fairies" as to if it will work.

I have lost count of the "Mystery" problems that have baffled "experts" and when I grab a set of know good GENUINE Cap Leads and rotor arm and Bosch a coil etc I am told "No, your wasting your time Nige" :ph34r:

Then when it leaps into life they go "Oh".............

Its the FIRST thing you now need to do to be 101% sure its NOT something else ( and don't also do the "But they are all fairly new and etc etc :P )

Nige

Ok I get the picture. I know you said don't say it but I replaced the dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads and coil with Lucas items (which I believe are original equipment?), the plugs are NGK BP6ES, all replaced in June and have done 3000 miles max. Does the fact that it runs perfectly ok on LPG not suggest that the ignition is working ok?

Dash pot oil was checked and topped up prior to purchasing the fuel pump.

I apologise if I'm being thick, but I'm trying to get things straight in my head as I want to learn as much as I can. I do appreciate any help you give me.

Mark

And are you 101% positive they are lucas ?

Does the rotor arm for example have "Lucas" on it ? if so fine....but the cap,?

And what are the leads set as lucas don't do them, ?

get a set of genuine leads from a LR Dealer, as to the coil, ?

what is it and are you sure its ok,

forget pattern coil especially intermotor etc.... Bosch is best if you can get one ....and also the lead from coil to centee of the dizzy cap.

Once we are all certain the basics are Ok we can start to sort, without it its like juggling soot, technically possible but F hard :lol:

Nige