Northern Winch Challenge Series

alan kemp

Alan my self and a few others are getting together for a meeting on saturday to discuss the northern series. anybody else wishing to come have a pint and talk about next years challenges is welcome. the meeting will be at a pub in new mills (sk22) please let us know if you'd like to come.

I'll be coming with Jenny as she has offered to do a lot of the secretarial stuff and photography at events, Saley is coming also. We dont want to get too bogged down in the fine detail stuff at this stage, just sort out how we arrange permits, sites and site costs, insurance etc and most importantly, the format for the events and how many teams we can accommodate.

I'll be coming with Jenny as she has offered to do a lot of the secretarial stuff and photography at events, Saley is coming also. We dont want to get too bogged down in the fine detail stuff at this stage, just sort out how we arrange permits, sites and site costs, insurance etc and most importantly, the format for the events and how many teams we can accommodate.

Alan i can't make it we are having a family get together i had forgot about

OT post...

New Mills.....Blimey, grew up there, lived at Cresent Row, Birch Vale

Right back on topic...sorry ;)

OT, Les, I lived in Birch Vale from a nipper to about 8 then moved to NM. Do you know Goodwins? You interested in challenge events, to be OnT

Meeting tonight at Co-op car park in New Mills at 7.00 pm then to Rock Tavern New Mills at 7:15pm. Dont know the post code but you can ring me on 079671066 for directions to the Co-op, Rock is a bit more difficult..

Alan

Alan

how did it go

Myself and the co-driver went, and after a phone call and a drive down some very dark streets and alleys, found the required drinking establishment with Mr HT outside fielding phone calls!

A very good discussion took place and many aspects were raised and hopefully dealt with.

Buxton & District have taken the task onboard of finding suitable venues, probably ones that do not have a high profile, mainly due to costs. The use of cyberkeys / other types of punch equipment will also be looked at.

Ways of preventing alternative interpretation of the rules and consistant marshalling decisions were thrashed out as well.

The Buxton team were extremely positive about running a series, we now just need to find out dates and venues, and try to get bums in seats!

This series will hopefully not follow in the footsteps of other Challenge series and have the same format for every event, but try to do something different for each event, but that is still all up in the air, as there is a great deal of planning and organising to do.

Hopefully Alan and / or BADLRC will report in a little more detail soon.

Nick

Well put Nick, spot on. We will also be contacting some of the well known sites as well just to get a comparison for costing. Lots of new ideas were discussed, we will keep you posted.

The general consensus was to keep the distance down to 2 hours from Manchester.

• 2 weeks later...
Well put Nick, spot on. We will also be contacting some of the well known sites as well just to get a comparison for costing. Lots of new ideas were discussed, we will keep you posted.

The general consensus was to keep the distance down to 2 hours from Manchester.

will there be a clubman event or two for the newcomers, if so, very intrested as im in west yorks.

Who's the hard core headcases??? :huh:

Name names Barney ;)

The sport needs an entry level class "up north" to introduce newbies into challenge's without going straight in at the deep end, which was a great thing that Scorpion did but it was mostly South/Midlands based which is not ideal if its your daily drive.

Our aim is to cater for every type of person not just the hard core head cases. so please do come and join us. any querrys please pm me and we'll get in touch to easy any worrys

that'll do for me, my plan is to start in my 90, with my friend as driver and me on winch and then as adam builds his lightweight, ill use the 90 as tug, and the lightweight for comping, not that ive informed him of this but with the plans hes drawn up for it, my 90 wont touch that thing.

i just want to learn what the crack is at the begining and then maybe get more serious about it.

if theres any northerners requiring a winch man, im up for it, need to learn sooner than later.

Totally agree with Boothy, you've got to cater for the grass roots people. After all, we all started somewhere, and it was usually at the bottom!

But at the same time, a northern series should also allow for those with large pockets!

Clubman and new comers would be more than welcome at the Pre Xmas Challenge at Rushton Spencer on the 29th & 30th November 2008

for more details please visit BADLRC Challenge page

Hello,

there are a few of us from around wilmslow area that go out playing quite a bit (we were at wormhough this weekend), that would be up for supporting this series. The only problem being time as i work 3week shifts out at sea, and a mate with an ex challenge vehicle works in the police in cumbria.

I'm back for the buxton event, but he's only available on the sunday.

Regards

Gordon

I bumped in to your lot this weekend did you have a good weekend? it looked like you did.

The idea of the Challenge series for next year is for everyone from the

Beginners : people with motors with a winch who have some base knowledge of safe winching techniques

Intermediates : people who have done this before and are honing there skills so they can start doing some of the bigger events in the UK

Experts (head cases) : those who are competing in the big events but like the challenge of new and different sites with a slightly different and experimental way of setting out.

I personally feel that everyone should be able to compete together and the idea is that the beginners get to see the experts at it and learn new things and how it should (and occasionally) should not be done. I would also hope that if some one sees someone who is obviously a beginner struggling then they would stop for a quick breather and offer some friendly advice.

My personal view of setting out is that 3/5ths of the coarse should be obtainable by everyone 2/5ths should be obtainable by almost everyone and the last 1/5th should be obtainable by most but hard to do.

The more that enter in the different classes the better as we can then actually split up the classes. We did not split up the classes at the last one because 5 days before the event when we had to get the trophy's done there were not enough entrants to split them.

Please feel free to correct me add your own ideas and help this series get off the ground and be a good challenge for everyone of all ability's.

That's 6/5th's...

;)

Or 1 and 1/5th, we are expecting over subscription :rolleyes::ph34r::blink:

On the "some sections should be drivable comment", I am hoping this is going to be a proper winch challenge, not another scorpion or HW type of event. The special sections may well be drivable but I think the punches should include at least one pull with a winch, that cannot be driven. If the competitors set out the punches, they can be anything you want but lets not have another trials type event..

I didn't expect you to drive half the one's you drove last time.

And if you can drive more than 15% of the sections this time with out at least one pull I'll have a go at eating my hat.

So thats any more than 6 with out at least one pull and that includes your team mate pulling you :lol::lol:

This one will be alot harder and there will be some full length pulls. can you still make the first 2 sundays in november Alan? and Good luck for the weekend don't break to much.

I am hoping this is going to be a proper winch challenge, not another scorpion or HW type of event.

Without wishing to get embroiled in the discussion, this statement seems to me to indicate a wide rift between what the minority and the majority want.

As MrHT says, he laid out sections not expecting them to be driveable and subsequently some were. If as an organiser you lay out extremely difficult sections which result in low punch counts you face the claim that they are too hard, don't offer value for money and drivers don't feel the desire to keep coming back.

We have experienced this by gradually making sections more difficult and time consuming to the point that whilst a few enjoyed the extreme technical challenge, the majority didn't feel that it was what they were looking for. We made a conscious decision to back off the severity, punch counts went up and the majority were happier.

Keeping a balance which satisfies teams with years of experience and who have won some of the toughest events in the land with those who are new to the game and don't want to travel the country is going to be extremely difficult with the type of sites you have available.

I'd be interested to know how many punches were gained during this year's Howlin' Wolf without at least one winch pull. :blink:

All IMHO of course

I'd be interested to know how many punches were gained during this year's Howlin' Wolf without at least one winch pull. :blink:

All IMHO of course

Some teams get them without even attempting the section never mind having to winch :rolleyes: