A couple of questions about Defender heater

Ryan

I think that there may be a water leak into the heater matrix on my Defender. On Sunday, whilst coming back from Seven Sisters, we stopped off for a bite to eat. On pulling away afterwards, I stuck the heater on as it was getting a bit chilly (mine actually pumps out nice warm air - nearly all the time...). As the engine started to warm up, all I was getting was steamed up windows and the smell of coolant. I changed it over to cool and the damp air stopped. Later on, I tried again and it was ok. For the rest of the journey, the coolant smell went away, but there was an odour I can only describe as being a bit like a barbecue cooking!

Yesterday I had a little drive to my local stealer to pick up some bits, and although there was no dampness, the barbecue smell was still there. I've had a quick look underneath, in the footwell, and under the bonnet and cannot find any leaks. There was also no water in the intake on the wing. Any ideas? Is it worth me just chucking in a bottle of Bars Leak to see if the smell goes away?

Secondly, as mentioned above, my heater generally blows hot most of the time. If I set it to cold, it is merely 'less hot.' Is there any adjustment? I was checking the Haynes book of lies which was no use - it only mentions that when you taken the heater box out to make note of the cable position!

if you have used your truck off road, sometimes the drain off for the heater gets choked and water collects in the heater box. this gives the rise to steamy windows.

on the other hand, check the hoses that go to the heater matrix, those are from the engine cooling as well. however, there might be a remote possibility that the heater matrix itself has a tiny leak and hence a lil of the coolant is going thru. when you pull the lever to the cold position, it actually shuts the valve to stop the coolant from flowing thru the matrix and the out pipe hence the leak doesn't happen.

you might want to check the position of the cable as in your case you mentioned less hot when put to cool. hence there might still be some coolant circulating past the matrix (radiator) of the heater hence you still get heat.

hope i'm making sense to you.

Secondly, as mentioned above, my heater generally blows hot most of the time. If I set it to cold, it is merely 'less hot.' Is there any adjustment? I was checking the Haynes book of lies which was no use - it only mentions that when you taken the heater box out to make note of the cable position!

Ryan there is a solution to the fan speed which is either on or off it seems.

I have heard of a small and cheap electrical conversion that graduates the fan speed. I cannot recall who does them but I am sure someone will know.

John

I have heard of a small and cheap electrical conversion that graduates the fan speed. I cannot recall who does them but I am sure someone will know.

John

John, fan speed isn't a problem - that can be varied, just, providing the switch doesn't bend every time I used it... :lol: , no it's the heat control that gives me hot or not-so-hot.

if you have used your truck off road, sometimes the drain off for the heater gets choked and water collects in the heater box. this gives the rise to steamy windows.

on the other hand, check the hoses that go to the heater matrix, those are from the engine cooling as well. however, there might be a remote possibility that the heater matrix itself has a tiny leak and hence a lil of the coolant is going thru. when you pull the lever to the cold position, it actually shuts the valve to stop the coolant from flowing thru the matrix and the out pipe hence the leak doesn't happen.

you might want to check the position of the cable as in your case you mentioned less hot when put to cool. hence there might still be some coolant circulating past the matrix (radiator) of the heater hence you still get heat.

hope i'm making sense to you.

Haven't been in any deep water - a few inches at most. The hoses into the box appear okay. I'll check out the cable later on.

Andrew (and others) the heater is "on" all the time in a coil sprung brickshaped Land Rover. When the dash lever is moved from full heat :D it actually mixes in outside, cold air.

This has been mentioned here several times, but once again: On top of the heater is a cable operated lever. This is the flap for cold air mix. Adjust the cable so it really closes when the dash lever is on hot. That might not be the whole cure since there are internal foam plates for sealing. These have a habit of coming off...

The mist and anti feeze smell is probably what it is. Feel under the heater box if it's wet, there are only a couple of holes in the bottom where it can emerge.

I had the same on mine apart from the smell after I had switched the heater core to one from a Fiesta. I think it merely was because of lots of rain... :)

John

search ebay for seller deflan3

Providing the weather is okay, I'll stick my hand underneath tomorrow. I'll have a go at adjusting the hot/not-so-hot flapper as well.

I'm guessing that as this is an "always on" system, then if it is a bit warm outside, turning it to cold won't have much of an effect. Probably why I was so hot in the Alps - that, and the warmth from the gearbox as well...

i took mine appart a couple of days ago. took the radiator bit out and pressure washed it all as it compleatly stopped doing anything except letting steam come out.

i was discusted by all the mud/silt/clay that was in it. the motor couldnt actuallt turn and the radiator was 70% full. it all went back together well and it wors a treat now.

Rather than start another heater related thread I thought I'd sidetrack this one! Sorry Ryan!! :lol::ph34r:

Can anyone tell me which way round the heater hoses go on a 200TDi? My heater has two pipes side by side and I cannot tell them apart!

Does the one from the water pump (that runs along the top of the block in metal, then changes to rubber) go to the front pipe on the heater or the pipe nerest the bulkhead?

Thanks,

Rather than start another heater related thread I thought I'd sidetrack this one! Sorry Ryan!! :lol::ph34r:

Can anyone tell me which way round the heater hoses go on a 200TDi? My heater has two pipes side by side and I cannot tell them apart!

Does the one from the water pump (that runs along the top of the block in metal, then changes to rubber) go to the front pipe on the heater or the pipe nerest the bulkhead?

Thanks,

this should help