About the hydraulic winchy thingy ??

wee_arthur

So...

a new project may or may not be dawning in our garage over the winter/autumn and we were wondering about hydraulic winches.

Ok so iv assessed that a type R is the way to go .... but is the kit which you buy from http://www.4x4winches.com/ suitable for competition??

So questions i would like answered:

1. Is the type R a good choice from all hydraulic winch kits?

2. Is this winch driven off of the engine which is what i suspect?

3. How much work is it to add another winch to the rear?

4. Does it beat a 8274 out of the box?

thanks in advance

So...

a new project may or may not be dawning in our garage over the winter/autumn and we were wondering about hydraulic winches.

Ok so iv assessed that a type R is the way to go .... but is the kit which you buy from http://www.4x4winches.com/ suitable for competition??

So questions i would like answered:

1. Is the type R a good choice from all hydraulic winch kits?

2. Is this winch driven off of the engine which is what i suspect?

3. How much work is it to add another winch to the rear?

4. Does it beat a 8274 out of the box?

thanks in advance

The Type R is a very good choice. I had 2 on my car up until the start of this year when I replaced the front one with a Stud 150. The difference between Type R and Stud is the new winch is on steel bearings rather than fibre shims plus it will take more rope. The Stud 150 freespools easily and without effort. It will eat standard electric winches all day and every day. GP's new free spool and twin motor winches are just as good however its a matter of personal choice. The Stud 150 now has freespool from in the cab, operated by compressed air and is quick. It doesnt slow down under load and doesnt have any overrun which you get with many leccy winches. If you compare the price of a full hydraulic set up with 2 winches against a full setup with 2 leccy winches, then if you want, add all the extra's to the leccy winches to make them worth having (and I am talking about for serious comps here), then you may well see why I personally would go for hydraulic every time. PS I am not sponsored by any hydraulic winch supplier so my views are my own.

On the last comp I burst a hose fitting as the solenoid valve was stuck halfway closed, this is after more than 2 1/2 years of regular comps without any maintenance. I once snapped a chain (mine is chain driven from the crank), the chain snapped 'cos I fitted a new chain to old sprockets, not recommended as I quickly found out. A direct drive from the crank on the propshaft is a better method if you have the space available. I also broke once when I fitted a brand new pump which was supplied incorrectly and the rotation was wrong. These are the only problems I have had in almost 3 years of serious competion, at least once per month often 2 per month.

i hav done a search on the internet and cannot find a lot of informartion on the stud 150. is there a website to look at?

Hi Tonka,

The winch is quite new as i only designed it at the end of last year and started making them the begining of this year.

Neil at Rakeway will soon have a page on them on his website as he is manufacturing some of the components and supplies the props that i have used to drive the pumps,

if you want anymore information Give me a call on 07798900812

regards John

I have been using a Type R for about half a year now, and am very happy with it. Smooth, fast and reliable.

The only problem I'm having is the drive belt to the pump is prone to slipping, especially after wading, greatly reducing the winches performance.

For the record, I don't use the pump supplied by 4x4winches, but an industrial Casappa pump with a max capacity of 85l/min, connected via an electric clutch.

I looked at a chain drive, but am not to keen on that. A toothed belt, like on a supercharger, would be ideal.

No place for a direct drive from the crank on a TD5, unfortunately.