Suspension Help

Tom_b

I basically have in my possession a brand spanking new TD5 galvanized chassis, I plan on sticking a pretty much standard TD5 lump in it with the odd performance parts on board with an intercooler and re-map at the top of the list.

I am however looking for really as extreme as I can go on the suspension but am really stuck on what to go for, both manufacturer wise and actual setup? So here is my question if money wasn’t an issue (£3000 Budget) what suspension setup would you buy and why.

I also ask the same question re; the following parts

Diff Locker

Compressor

Axles (Looking really at running discs all round)

Half Shafts

Radius Arms

Trailing Arms

Brakes

I think that’s it for the moment however I will add parts I am looking at advice on as the thread progresses.

Thanks

Tom

The first question is, what do you intend to do with the vehicle?

On road handling?

Off road handling? Slow speed or high speed?

"Standard" components or stuff like coilovers?

The vehicle will be for off-road use both greenlining and competition use. I would like It to be capable of extreme 4 x 4 use however still be able to be road legal. I also need it to tow around our racing car but this isn’t a major problem if I cannot get a decent compromise.

I am looking for a coil over setup. This project started having watched the series “a 4x4 is born” and the suspension setup installed on that vehicle is probably what I am looking for.

I am new to the whole 4x4 scene so this will probably explain the awful references etc.

Thanks

Tom

Have you seen Devon 4x4 trayback?

Used in the Outback challenge in Morrocco, and runs a pretty standard OME spring

setup.

'Extreme' is a dirty word, it is used by marketing people to make something look better

than it actually is.

If you were at the LROI show, you should have stood and watched the axeltwister part.

Loads of tricked up 'extreme' vehicles had problems, ie they didn't get through in 1 go.

Yet bog standard series vehicles, disco's, RRC and an L322 RR just 'walked' through it.

Just remember, 'extreme' is a dirty word, a lot can be done for less money and more thought.

Wow! You do expect a lot from your suspension! :rolleyes:

Did "a 4x4...." have coil overs? I thought it had standard springs and dampers but I could be wrong.... :blink:

For a suspension setup that gives good on road stability and excellent flex I would speak to Simon at x-eng

Have you seen Devon 4x4 trayback?

Used in the Outback challenge in Morrocco, and runs a pretty standard OME spring

setup.

'Extreme' is a dirty word, it is used by marketing people to make something look better

than it actually is.

If you were at the LROI show, you should have stood and watched the axeltwister part.

Loads of tricked up 'extreme' vehicles had problems, ie they didn't get through in 1 go.

Yet bog standard series vehicles, disco's, RRC and an L322 RR just 'walked' through it.

Just remember, 'extreme' is a dirty word, a lot can be done for less money and more thought.

The Devon 4x4 site is brilliant, really informative and great photographical steps of the builds. :D

As i am new to the hobby as such i am sure it is similar to other i have had, many manufacturers really market a product in such a way it is not actually designed for! I take it this is the case with the "extreme" labeled stuff.

Unfortunately i wasn’t able to go to the LRO show this year as we were busy, its a real shame as its only 20 minutes away from us.

Have you any suggestions about brand and why to use them.

Wow! You do expect a lot from your suspension! :rolleyes:

Did "a 4x4...." have coil overs? I thought it had standard springs and dampers but I could be wrong.... :blink:

For a suspension setup that gives good on road stability and excellent flex I would speak to Simon at x-eng

Doesn’t everyone :lol:

If i have to compromise on road drivability then so be it to be honest. I just hoped the vehicle could be used as an off-road toy and competition vehicle and to tow our actual race car around, if not another trailer will be on the “to buy” list :lol:

I have had a quick look x-eng and have been mighty impressed with what I see. Have you any first hand experience with the product or is your suggestion based on word of month? I have no issues just would like to gather as much information as I can!.

Thanks

Tom

Have you any suggestions about brand and why to use them.

Unfortunately not, it's a while since I had coils as I now use airsuspension on my vehicle.

:rolleyes:

But on my last RR I simply used some different LR springs with Procomp shocks.

I also had 235.85x16 tyres.

med_gallery_21_64_130197.jpg

med_gallery_21_64_640553.jpg

med_gallery_21_64_249155.jpg

Er, does the 3K budget include the engine body and stuff, or just axles, lockers, shafts, CV's, suspension etc because you've not got a hope in hell if it does!

3K will cover lockers, shafts and CV's....and thats about it, coilovers are going to cost you a couple hundred a corner but unless you have the right setup to match then its a waste of money.

EDIT: Seeing as you want to tow a race vehicle i'd seriously consider NOT going extreme with tyres, and suspension because youll find it quickly becomes unusable for that kind of work - a tow vehicle needs to be stable. There is also a big difference between green lane toy and a comp vehicle (and between comp vehicles....)

I have had a quick look x-eng and have been mighty impressed with what I see. Have you any first hand experience with the product or is your suggestion based on word of month? I have no issues just would like to gather as much information as I can!.

Myself and many other forumeers have had first hand experience of X -eng and all of it excellent!

Simon posts on here as Simonr.

X- eng products are all innovative and unique ( a bit like Simon really!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: )

Tom,

Welcome :)

Sounds like you're new to all this, wide-eyed and full of enthusiasm for building something really cool. There's a load of stuff out there vying for your attention and your wallet, and there's the comics magazines telling you how wonderful (and extreme, and ultimate) it all is.

However, back in real life things are different.

For starters, the comics these days are more concerned with plugging their advertisers' products than any sort of useful information - all this extreme b*ll*cks is just that. The 4x4-is-born is somewhat an example of that, what with the company we shall not mention providing him with his "fully extreme" :rolleyes: suspension kit. You can achieve the same (or better) effect using well-chosen standard / "cheap" parts at a fraction of the cost.

The first step of building a vehicle is deciding what you want it to do. We can offer advice and feedback all day long on springs, axles, lockers and tyres, but there is no "right" answer to anything - what works for one guy may be a really bad idea for your vehicle. When you say "competition" are you talking about trialling, winch challenges, comp safari, trophy raid...

Oh yes - remember all the extreme gear in the world can't make up for driving like an arse.

Unfortunately not, it's a while since I had coils as I now use airsuspension on my vehicle.

:rolleyes:

But on my last RR I simply used some different LR springs with Procomp shocks.

I also had 235.85x16 tyres.

med_gallery_21_64_130197.jpg

med_gallery_21_64_640553.jpg

med_gallery_21_64_249155.jpg

Great looking RR there mate, I have looked at the air suspension setups but feel they do not offer me what I need in performance unfortunately.

Er, does the 3K budget include the engine body and stuff, or just axles, lockers, shafts, CV's, suspension etc because you've not got a hope in hell if it does!

3K will cover lockers, shafts and CV's....and thats about it, coilovers are going to cost you a couple hundred a corner but unless you have the right setup to match then its a waste of money.

EDIT: Seeing as you want to tow a race vehicle i'd seriously consider NOT going extreme with tyres, and suspension because youll find it quickly becomes unusable for that kind of work - a tow vehicle needs to be stable. There is also a big difference between green lane toy and a comp vehicle (and between comp vehicles....)

The 3k is for the suspension but would like to obviously make sure the 3k completes at east a rolling chassis of axles, lockers, shafts, CV's etc. If I was to ensure that the equipment going on would enable me to do more then I could probably stretch to a bit more lets say £4k. It is the coil over setup I would like as having seen it being used I am very impressed.

I have now (within the last 12 hours) decided that I will not use the landy for towing, we are lucky enough to be sponsored by Fords with the race team so think a new transit is in order for that job!

I would like to be able to compete in “winch” challenges and some of the abroad events, whether that means I tow the landy and have it for full off-road use is something I am also open too. I would eventually like to compete in the “Vepsskii Les”!

Myself and many other forumeers have had first hand experience of X -eng and all of it excellent!

Simon posts on here as Simonr.

X- eng products are all innovative and unique ( a bit like Simon really!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: )

I will send him a message and see what he comes back with mate, thanks for the heads up! :rolleyes:

Tom,

Welcome :)

Sounds like you're new to all this, wide-eyed and full of enthusiasm for building something really cool. There's a load of stuff out there vying for your attention and your wallet, and there's the comics magazines telling you how wonderful (and extreme, and ultimate) it all is.

However, back in real life things are different.

For starters, the comics these days are more concerned with plugging their advertisers' products than any sort of useful information - all this extreme b*ll*cks is just that. The 4x4-is-born is somewhat an example of that, what with the company we shall not mention providing him with his "fully extreme" :rolleyes: suspension kit. You can achieve the same (or better) effect using well-chosen standard / "cheap" parts at a fraction of the cost.

The first step of building a vehicle is deciding what you want it to do. We can offer advice and feedback all day long on springs, axles, lockers and tyres, but there is no "right" answer to anything - what works for one guy may be a really bad idea for your vehicle. When you say "competition" are you talking about trialling, winch challenges, comp safari, trophy raid...

Oh yes - remember all the extreme gear in the world can't make up for driving like an arse.

“Sounds like you're new to all this, wide-eyed and full of enthusiasm for building something really cool”

I would agree with that first comment to a tee, I have the mechanical knowledge its just the equipment within in field I am stuck on.

Was the equipment used on a 4x4 is born from Scorpion? Even from my knowledge or race car products I would not use them for at least suspension and probably not anything else either!

I think to be fair on the vehicle I am going to have it for off-road use as a vehicle capable of competing in a few areas and if it so happens to be classified as road-legal then obviously it’s a bonus.

Hope that’s of some use for your answers?

Thanks

Tom

P.s – Will a 300TDI Salisbury Axle fit on the TD5 chassis I have? I want to go all round with disk brakes?

Thanks Again

In a similar situation as yourself (other than having a battered d90 rather than a shiny chassis) and I went to Llama4x4.com and got there 11" suspension kit which arrived today, David is really helpful and a big old chatterbox :P There is also a small LR4x4 discount which was nice. The Rough Country shocks are well rated and have better mounting points and seem to last well, also the kit comes in aroun the £500 mark so is pretty cost effective (I am grinding my props for the time being to delay new props)

For the axles I went to crowndiffs.co.uk Steve who runs it is another top bloke and has some very competitive prices, I bought some Detroits in rebuilt 24 spline diffs and some 2nd hand 24 spline axles and shafts.

As has been said you need to decide what you want to use it for, my setup is overkill for my current skill (or lack of it) but there is an element of being in a situation that I have some free money at the moment that I may not get again for a while and the fact that like most of us I LOVE BUYING NEW TOYS :P!!

post-10621-1222710068_thumb.jpg

• 7 years later...