200tdi timing adjustment.

discojmz

Ive searched the tech archive but couldnt find anything particularly enlightening except a couple of individual posts that confused me a bit more.

due to a problem with low power and a touch of smoke when cold, Im intrigued to see if advancing my timing has retarded somewhat or rather requires advancing anyway. or even resetting it if that is what it requires.

could someone please explain exactly what I need to do. hopefully I can achieve this by only removing the pump sprocket cover rather than the whole timing case front?

or if this has been covered in detail before, a link would be most appreciated.

many thanks in advance

Jim

You can advance/retard the timing slightly on a 200TDI. You only need to remove the small cover to expose the gear. Place the 9.5mm pin in the hole and lock off the FIP gear. You can then undo the 3 bolts and very slightly rotate the crank in the desired direction. Tighten the 3 bolts, remove pin and then start the engine. Hopefully that'll cover it. You can only advance/retard about 1/2 tooth of the belt, so not that much but enough to make a difference

Just had to do exactly the same thing after an engine rebuild and a few problems.

In my case, rotating the crank anti-clockwise has made it go a lot better. I think I need to do a bit more fine tuning, but I can at least get to 60 now!!! When I turned the crank clockwise, the engine wouldn't start at all...

I can't believe that after all these years of talking drivel I'm actualy starting to talk sense :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Notice, however, that no-one actually said that you were right.......we've learnt that it goes to your head and you get all carried away :P:lol: Now, about that tea and toast!!! :ph34r:

• 3 years later...

You can advance/retard the timing slightly on a 200TDI. You only need to remove the small cover to expose the gear. Place the 9.5mm pin in the hole and lock off the FIP gear. You can then undo the 3 bolts and very slightly rotate the crank in the desired direction. Tighten the 3 bolts, remove pin and then start the engine. Hopefully that'll cover it. You can only advance/retard about 1/2 tooth of the belt, so not that much but enough to make a difference

I just need a little bit of a clarification on this.

Do you fully remove the 3 bolts or just loosen them?

And I assume the FIP locking pin stays in place?

Hi

I doubt that Walfy will be back to reply any time soon, so for clarity, you only need to loosen the three bolts as the holes are slotted allowing the adjustment to be made prior to doing the bolts back up tight once the timing is set correctly.

HTH

Chris

I just need a little bit of a clarification on this.

Do you fully remove the 3 bolts or just loosen them?

And I assume the FIP locking pin stays in place?

just loosen them just enough so the pulley can move. timing pin stays in & rotate the crank pulley to tweak the FIP pulley, then retighten the 3 bolts, remove timing pin.