Front Tow Hitch

Has anyone made a neat front tow hitch similar to Scorpion Racing's eye wateringly expensive item (the removable one)? I'd like to make a neater one that doesnt stick out so much off the front bumper, it could do with being lower also.

Has anyone made a neat front tow hitch similar to Scorpion Racing's eye wateringly expensive item (the removable one)? I'd like to make a neater one that doesnt stick out so much off the front bumper, it could do with being lower also.

I too am looking at doing this and would be interested in anyone's projects. Was thinking of using a bar hinged on the chassis about 18" in and having it up to the bumper when not in use and then lowered down .

Would have to be an 'A' frame device now that I think about it, fixed at two points. Need to think about that one :blink:

Go 2.8 TD zoo zoo....I've just come back from S.Wales towing a 1.3ton caravan with foot to the floor all the way. No motorways, 90% single carrigeway roads up through mid Wales, 195 miles in 4hrs 55mins with a stop for fuel and a bite. Also held up by flooded roads and diverted twice, so not bad to average over 40mph. Doing 50 to 70 wherever I could blowing black smoke at times and cooked the brakes once so was quite pleased this morning when I filled up and she averaged 25mpg on the return journey and 31 going down fast with just the truck.

Admitedly the engine is in an Isuzu pick up but with a higher geared landy with say 1.22 T/B then it would be very economical.

Let us know how you go on with the tow bar :D

Sure thing Fridge,

Sorry to be going the Isuzu path but the V8 will not die, it will be sleeping in my shed till I get a 110 or 130 project (not daily drive)

I'll post my hitch when I fab it up, I was after smoe rough dimensions for the 2 pices of box that slide in side one another.

Or may adapt the dixon bate idea for use a front then parts more interchangeable.

I had thought about making one like scorpions, I have got one of there removable tow bars. All you need is some box section with a 2x2" internal diameter box section. I was thinking of cutting and welding the box section into my steering guard but instead of having the pin infront of the guard (making the box stand out like the scorpion one). I would put the pin behind the steering guard thust making the box flush with the guard. As you are only using the front hitch for odd usage you would have to make a odd shape pin to fit or you would have to lay under you land rover to fit it either way it is better than the £200+ for the scorpion guard! Im going to modifiy my steering guard, watch this space. Just remember you are just moving a load not towing it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Going more along the lines of an easily removable DB type now, butt ugly but very practical. It will however not be doing me any favours in the weight and stowability department.

Plan is to use 2 pins to secure it; one through bumper and one to hold outrigger angle section. Luckily I have most of the parts from an old DB unit, those who have not may find this idea a bit pricey.

We fabricated a front towhitch on my father's Merc ML a few years ago. Also to make launching the boat a bit easier.

The ML has a removable gooseneck towball on the rear, with a vertical connection. We 'simply' got another gooseneck bracket and secured this on the crossmember behind the front bumper. Very neat and almost completely hidden by the front license plate when not in use.

I'm sure you could do something similar with a Landie. The removable towballs in the RRS and D3 are a similar design I think. And fabricating a mount behind the bumper can't be too difficult. Only downside may be the price... In our case, the bracket was cheap enough and we just switch the towball from rear to front if needs be.

My old ARB bumper had a thick bit of box section on the bottom of it with another square bit of tube with a ball hitch on the end that sloted into the one on the bumper and used a pin to adjust the position or for total removal

Isn't this the simplest thing to make?

Roy,

It probably is, however, it would be nice to have some thing that is a similar height to the rear coupling. Our boat trailer has on ocasion dug it's rear in with the tow ball mounted on the bumper. Granted this will drop with anything mounted below the the bumper.

Some measuring next time we do some boat maintenance will be done. I do like the idea of something small and neat - which cannot be said of the DB bracket idea.