300tdi problem.

Ben Jordan

Is the lift pump before or after the filter? When i was cold and tired last night after changing the water pump on a Seicento, whilst undoing the pipes i thought it wont be a problem to sort out which ones which, but now it is.

Oh on testing the original lift pump it seems to work, but im not sure how hard it's meant to suck.

Is the lift pump before or after the filter? When i was cold and tired last night after changing the water pump on a Seicento, whilst undoing the pipes i thought it wont be a problem to sort out which ones which, but now it is.

Oh on testing the original lift pump it seems to work, but im not sure how hard it's meant to suck.

Fuel from tank into lift pump out to filter then to injection pump :D

otherwise you'll have unfiltered fuel going into the injection pump not a good idea :o

your 300 filter will be similar connections to my 200

200Tdifuelfilter.jpg

Thanks Western, but when i went back i worked it out fom the flow arrows marked on everything (for idiots like me :D )

As suspected the original lift pump was not faulty. It has started it's not stopping when the ignition is switched off. So the fuel stop regulator is the next thing to be replaced. after changing the lift pump i noticed a bolt or similar on the injector pump was pushing out diesel. Its the triangle shape bolt on the side of the injector pump. Not sure if was leaking before i replaced the lift pump but i dont think it was. Does anybody know whats behind it?

injectorpump.jpg

Sorry to jump in so late, but I had a similar problem with my 300tdi a couple of years ago. After draining the sedimentor and changing the filter, the engine would idle, but no more. If the throttle was depressed the engine would stall. After hours of mucking about getting covered in diesel I found that the plastic plug on the sedimentor was not tight enough and was letting in some air. I was scared to tighten the thing up in case it broke off. Since then I have not touched it, dismantling the sedimentor instead to clean it as suggested by Steve.

A mate has given me a spare plastic plug and I am meaning to take it to a good nut and bolt place to find out what the thread is and replace it with a S/S item if I can.

Do fuel injection pumps fail very often on 300tdi's?

Not very often at all IMHO. I know of a couple here where the stop solenoid thing has broken and jammed up the pump so it either wouldn't stop or wouldn't start, and perhaps a couple of others where the pumps have just expired for no particular reason (fuelling all to cock, impossible starting etc), but it certainly isn't a common problem.

I have just been down to the Bosch agent and explained the symptoms of the wolf and he said the fuel stop solenoid doesn't normally break. Apparently the case hardening on the inside of the fuel injection pump breaks off and floats around the inside of the pump messing it up. And the fuel stop solenoid is an electromagnet, which attracts these parts of metal jamming it in the process. :(

your agent is a DOOM monger IMHO

take the diaphram cover off and lift the diaphram out if there is rust in there the case hardening may have been affected by water ingress,

Far more likely is:

Fuel Filter

air filter

intercooler hoses

block fuel lin/spill return

obstruction in the fuel tank

Exmoor Beast dropped a redex cap liner in his tank and sufferd for ages of a 110 dying then being ok

I doubt the Lift pump will give the probs you mention as the injection pump draws the fuel past it to run.mine had a dead pump for 6months I only found out whn I serviced it for a 2nd time

a genuine lift pump is available for £35ish from Buckley brothers(in the mags)

I have just been down to the Bosch agent and explained the symptoms of the wolf and he said the fuel stop solenoid doesn't normally break. Apparently the case hardening on the inside of the fuel injection pump breaks off and floats around the inside of the pump messing it up. And the fuel stop solenoid is an electromagnet, which attracts these parts of metal jamming it in the process. :(

that happened to my 200Tdi, it's been fine after a rebuild with the later improved parts, you could remove the soleniod to see if there is any swarf in there amming it, 24mm open end spanner iirc.

How much was the rebuild?

Does anybody know how much a recon. fuel injection pump is?

Are you sitting down ? ----- £400 :o that included all parts/labour/vat :D

a reconditioned injection pump for your 300Tdi will be around £700 plus vat and any exchange surcharge from LR

I have visited the Wolf today and seen the fuel injection pump in pieces on the bench, its good news and bad news. The pump looks absolutely brand spanking new on the inside with no signs of wear. He even tested the fuel stop solenoid whilst i was there and that is okay. So he has got to put the pump back together, test it and fit it back on the Wolf. He has then got to look for the problem.

Thats a bugger in some respects i guess.

did you try the other fuel tank in the end? any difference? what happens if you run the engine with the pipe tank into a jerry can of diesel as the source (leak off still to old tank), obviosuly you can only try it stationary, but need to eliminate the fuel supply area.

• 2 weeks later...
Jim, IIRC, the plug is 5/16 UNC.

I have a 5/16 stainless socket head cap screw in mine (just 'cause I had it sitting on the shelf).

Thanks. I'll have to go to a decent nut and bolt place then for one of those. All the stuff I have is metric.