before I take a sledge hammer to it

jules

My D2 auto has developed a annoying belt scream (well it sounds like belts)

I have fitted a new gen part tensioner

I have changed the belts for none gen, than to a gen one.

I have changed the bearing on the Air Con compressor.

still the same noise and although the note changes each time I do something but never goes away.

before I just start changing water pump and PAS pump.

as it comes in at 2k revs is it a turbo

Has anyone had this before :unsure:

everything still works and drives fine

There may be an echo here of a reply of mine to another current thread but...

Check your inlet manifold gasket and all the turbo intake pipes as you may have a small leak that sounds like a high pitched whine- I thought I had killed my turbo when mine did it.

It really did not sound like an air issue on mine- sounded like the turbo bearings were shot and only really did it when the turbo was boosting

Try the exhaust manifold gasket, probably warped the manifold, if it has just get the local engineering firm to skim it.

If it has it would have pulled the stud / bolt out of the head so it will need heli-coiling, not as bad as it sounds as it can be done easily in situ.

You really should take the whole manifold off and put it on something flat - we use a bit of granite which was lying around. You will most likely find it rocks slightly and is not flat. If you put it back on it will just blow the gasket again and possibly break the studs at no 1 and 5 cylinders. The broken studs can be a pig to get out.

The answer is to have the manifold skimmed. Some people also remove the webs between the cylinders. Also you can drill the holes out to 10mm which helps a bit.

As you are trying to cope with a design fault it is hard to get it perfect. The manifold should really be in 2 or 3 pieces like the 300Tdi.