Did They ever Make An Auto Defender?

I know that Defenders are work horses and they are damn fine at the job and manual fits the bill well. But i would like a Defender with a Auto box?

I know and understand that with the Land Rover models that you could fit an Auto box to a Defender but did they ever make one? and if so where can you find them?

The only autos were the v8 90s, very expensive and hard to find, ashcrofts have done conversions for all engine types, or build your own.

Thanks Paul, one day when I win the lotto and have the workshop and the tools I will build my own. Watch this space :lol:

Thanks Paul, one day when I win the lotto and have the workshop and the tools I will build my own. Watch this space :lol:

its not that hard ive just started bidding on an auto box etc to fit to my defender, im only 18!, its realy not all that hard!

it would certainly be cheaper than the v8 90 auto!

thanks

jack

I know that Defenders are work horses and they are damn fine at the job and manual fits the bill well. But i would like a Defender with a Auto box?

I know and understand that with the Land Rover models that you could fit an Auto box to a Defender but did they ever make one? and if so where can you find them?

Nas 110's were all manual with 3.9 V8

Nas90's from 93 to 96 inclusive were manual with 3.9 V8 and definitely 95 & 96 used R380 gearboxes

Nas90's in 1997 got the 4.0 litre RR V8 with 4 speed auto box and this was the last year of manufacture for the Nas Defender :(:(:(:(:(

The 1998 Anniversary Defender was a right hand drive MY97 Nas90 with a really horrible paint scheme

So in answer to your question probably about 1000 Defenders (maximum) were built by Land Rover over a 2 year period with an auto box.

BTW for Nas read North American Spec, a left hand drive Defender ONLY with V8, soft or hard top and some say, including me, the best Defender LR ever built. There were from memory only about 200 50th Anniversary Defenders made. There are about 5 Nas90's in the UK of which mine, although a MY95 manual, has been converted to auto. :lol:

Ive got an auto 110 csw 300tdi.

It was built up using parts from a 300tdi auto disco. It was a simple bolt together exercise with the only cutting needed, to cut the centre floor for the lever to change gear.

H