Swapping chassis

landmannnn

I have nearly got my lr down to the rolling chassis. So then I need to swap all the bits onto my "new" chassis.

What is simplest way to do this? I was thinking either:

1. remove suspension and lower so that engine and box are on the ground, lift chassis over the engine and then lift new chassis over engine, jack it up and replace suspension

2. split engine and gearbox, hire engine crane, lift engine out, swap suspension then crane engine back in

Any other methods? (The old chassis is scrap so will be chopped up)

Mike

Usually it's engine and gearbox out of the way, attach axles to new chassis, then engine/gearbox in. I should imagine jacking the engine and gearbox into place from the ground would be very difficult to do. I suppose you could place the chassis on the ground, then position the engine and box, then jack the whole lot up to attach the axles. Just a different way of doing it I suppose.

Les.

Last one I helped with, we..

Took Gear box off

put two railway sleepers underneath the engine

Removed front axle and lowered engine down onto the wood

Removed rear axle

Chopped up rotten chassis and discarded

Lifted new chassis over engine

Fiddled about to get it to the right place, and managed to get the engine bolted in,

jacked the rear and attached axle

jacked the front and attached axle

replaced clutch

replaced gearbox

etc

Did the job perfectly well, fairly quickly and didn't require any engine cranes or other equipment that we didn't have to hand, putting the body on in one go (complete with bulkhead) was interesting and not quite so easy by hand

Any of the above though my prefference is with a crane.

Whatever you do unless the clutch was changed recently I would split the box and engine to change the clutch now rather than later. I did not change my clutch last time just the release bearing and now I have to pull it apart again to replace the clutch as well.

Doh.

Marc